Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

wiring help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring help

I have a couple of questions. I have two amps (1 is 760w and the other 900w) and I want all the power I can get. Should I run 2 seperate 4 guage amp kits so they will have there own amp kit or Is it possible for me to run a 0 gauge power wire from the battery and then run two 4 gauge power wires from the distribution block. If this is possible what gauge distribution block should I use. And I know if I get either of these I will have to get a Capacitor. How do I know what size capacitor to use. (I'm open for suggestions also). What are some good but cheap capacitor companys. And how to install a capacitor to two amps. Or should I just buy two capacitors. And even how do you install a capacitor to a single amp. I'm totally clueless about capacitors. Thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What is written on the box means very little. What size fuses are on the amplifiers? IF the one is 760W it should have at least 100A and the 900W should be about 130A. IF they do, you should run 1/0 awg, the amps will have at least 4 awg power input terminals, upgrade your grounds and get a bigger alternator. A cap won't do much when your electrical system is so overworked.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah what billace said! in addition to that, 99% of the time when someone says they have a 900 watt amp, it is 900 watts peak, which means MAYBE 400 rms. if that is the case then both your amps combined will run off of a 4 guage cable just fine. and yes, a cap will help if that is the case (1-2 farad will do). if they really are 900 Wrms and 760Wrms then your going to need to do some serious power upgrades.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a generic formula to give an idea of what an amp really does using ohms law.

A Class AB amplifier will need about twice as much power as it outputs. This is because approx half of the current they draw from your electrical system becomes heat in the amplification process.

P(Power) *2(50% efficient) /V (battery voltage) = Current

with a 100 watt amp it would be:

(100*2) / voltage(a healthy electrical system shouldn't be below 13.2 V with a car running) = current or amperage needed

so

200 / 13.2 = 15A of current.

A 100 watt amp, 100x1, 50x2, 25x4 should have at least 15A of fusing. If an amp is rated to produce 400 watts @ 1 ohm, it would need the appropriate fuse 800/13.2 = 60 amps.

Our shop guideline is for wire size is.

up to 40A fuse 8awg wire
50A-80A fuse 4 awg wire
90A or more 1/0 awg wire

for longer runs in some vehicles like SUV's we'll go 1 size bigger or make multiple runs.

If you think your wire is too small, with the engine off, measure your battery voltage @ the battery. Now measure your battery voltage @ the amp. These numbers should be within .5 volts of each other and normally will be .1-.2 volts difference.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

you may want to look into a second battery. thats alot of juice. if you run neon and other crap like that....you may want a second battery. It may be less than 2 wiring kits and 20 feet of 0 guage.....u never know
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ItsTheDriver13
you may want to look into a second battery. thats alot of juice. if you run neon and other crap like that....you may want a second battery. It may be less than 2 wiring kits and 20 feet of 0 guage.....u never know
NOOOO!!!! Unless you want to listen to music with the engine off, a second battery only makes things worse. Batteries or capacitors don't make power, they store it. Adding more just makes the charging system work harder trying to keep them charged. Another battery is a load not a supply.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

ok ok soo much audio...lol...well ur gonna need a better alt. the stock is pos...just like billace and kevind said...ur gonna need lots of mods...first i'd say u get the specs off the amps and put em up on...and if those wattages are rms...then ur gonna need a new alt. and a new "red top" batt...and mayb ull need a cap as well...lots of money...but ur choice...list the exact specs of the amps and subs...and ill do the writeup...and use Monster cables...they are expensive...but work really well
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor

run an optima battery, and just get a 1 fared cap for your sub amp.. if your not sure go to an car audio store theyll help you.. remember 1 screw up with your wiring your car can go up in flames... if your not sure let someone do it... there are to many poss. to building a system.. just like builing a motor.. i have fixed many a fire hazards in peoples cars... not trying to scare you..just looking out..

Last edited by Curt@MrLed; Mar 1, 2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtreme571
ok ok soo much audio...lol...well ur gonna need a better alt. the stock is pos...just like billace and kevind said...ur gonna need lots of mods...first i'd say u get the specs off the amps and put em up on...and if those wattages are rms...then ur gonna need a new alt. and a new "red top" batt...and mayb ull need a cap as well...lots of money...but ur choice...list the exact specs of the amps and subs...and ill do the writeup...and use Monster cables...they are expensive...but work really well
Erm....

OK..

1. Get a better alternator - Like BillAce said, Caps and Batteries are loads, not suppliers... Nothing will help other than a better alternator.

2. Defiantely do post the specs, what amp you're using, etc...

3. Monster cable? Yuck...Boycot Monster at all costs...not only are they a shady company, they sell overpriced ****.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

i can bet a million dollars what amps he's running. the only company i know that has a 760 and 900 watt amp (that states it on the amp) is Pioneer. the "760 watt amp" puts out 190 x 2 @ 2ohms and the "900 watt amp" i'm not totally sure about, but if it's a mono amp... probably about 300 watts RMS power.

there is no need for 0-guage for a setup like this if my assumptions are correct. just stick with 4 guage power wire leading to an 8-guage distribution block. hope this helps a bit.