Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

taking my radar detector apart

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking my radar detector apart

just thought i'd warn everyone. i'm going to take the little digital clock out and mount the lights for my radar detector behind that panel.

any thoughts on where i should put the sensor? if i put it on the outside of the car i have to worry about keeping it clean, but i don't want it to be blatantly obvious either. you guys figure that out, i'll see what i can do about making it look cool.

(contemplating swapping out the leds on it to all blue as well.....anybody want to ship me some?)
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In order to keep it clean you could make a very little plexiglass box and mount it somewhere behind the bumper grill. But that's only my .02.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

what about inside on the dash board where the alarm light would go (i think thats what it is there for) up by the windshield!
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

i dunno if it'll fit, or if u want to spend the time wiring, but u can put it right behind the rear view mirror. that's where my remote start sensor thing went and u can't notice it at all. that would probably be the best place too, since that area of the car is usually kept clean. that's just my opinion though, good luck to ya!
-Bob
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

that's a good idea. what's the procedure for getting enough clearance under the ceiling upholstery and then removing the plastic facing of the A pillar? they seem pretty tight to me.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by datdjrobp
that's a good idea. what's the procedure for getting enough clearance under the ceiling upholstery and then removing the plastic facing of the A pillar? they seem pretty tight to me.
i'm also interested in learning any "tips" on how to remove that A-pillar. before i run into problems and snap the thing off.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:43 PM

I think the radar detector sensor needs a line of sight out of the car, hence why they mount on the dash board or on your winshield.

But why would you want to disassemble your radar detector anyway? They are really exepensive and not very obtrusive.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

jus to do a custom setup and get it out of your way....i saw someone do this on a motorcycle. a Yamaha R1...he mounted the led's around the speedometer and put the sensor where the horn is...so nicely done and looks hot as hell.

also most radar detectors are 360 degrees so it doesn't have to be straight line...can be basically anywhere in the car window level.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:59 PM

If this radar detector has laser detection, then you need a line of sight.. that much i know.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

disassembling for a couple of reasons.....

1. having two clocks bugs me.
2. my radar detector rattles because of the bass.
3. just to see if it can be done. somebody's gotta try stuff.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

i know that there was a place that would take the valentine one radar detector, mount the sensors under the hood or something, and put the display in your rear view mirror. now THAT'S hot.

i think it's a good idea. radar detectors aren't that expensive, and if you like your car to be clean having a wire running over your dash is obtrusive (i will be hardwiring mine soon). stealth is good too, in case you get pulled over the cop won't see that you do have a radar detector and call you a dumbass.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:39 PM

A: How do you have 2 clocks? Does your head unit have a clock?

B: Can you turn your base down or mount your radar detector on your visor using a visor clip? My detector came with a visor clip.

C: What kind of detector do you have that you are willing to rip it apart?
Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Here in quebec it's illegal to have a radar detector..

sooo, You need to keep tit really hidden if a cop arrests you. The thing is that he can give you a ticket for having one if he's convinced you have one (I think they have radar detectors detectors). So you need to be able to switch your radar off when it gets a signal.

your installation looks cool. I did not think about it but that's certainly something I would do in my har, and should have done in my integra.

Etienne
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:36 AM

My radar detector is VG2 proof (vg2 being the radar detector detector), so i just bleeps at me when it detects a radar detector detector and thats the end of it, but detectors are legal here in NY
Old Feb 2, 2003, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

most new detectors come with vg2. basically what it does is when it detects a radar detector detector, it shuts itself off for 30 seconds or so. if at the end of that 30 seconds, it still detects it, it goes through another cycle. if there is no more detection, it resumes normal operation. but if you don't want that 30 seconds where it isn't working, when it first detects the vg2 (which is pretty short burst so you really only need it for a couple seconds), just turn it off then on again and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: taking my radar detector apart