Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

about to install my kenwood head unit... pics will be up shortly

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey where did u run the rca through behind the dash? i havnet taken apart the dash yet so i have no idea how it is back there..like how would u get it from headunit to the plastic piece by the door? thx man and that's a great write up and the pics REALLY help me..words just seem to slip through my other eye or something..

lol thx for your help man
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Will this procedure work for the Evo's too?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by bobaab
hey where did u run the rca through behind the dash? i havnet taken apart the dash yet so i have no idea how it is back there..like how would u get it from headunit to the plastic piece by the door? thx man and that's a great write up and the pics REALLY help me..words just seem to slip through my other eye or something..

lol thx for your help man
When you take out the head unit, you will find many ways that the wires can be run....there is more room in there, than any other car I have seen. Taking the cubby out is definitely a good idea, it makes the wires accessible from the back of the unit and you do not have to encourage the wires to go back in, you can just guide them in from the back of the HU. You can run the wires to either the right or the left ....take off the kickplate on the door and the big piece of plastic trim on the inside and put your wires in there and run the wires to the back, following the side plastics, just make sure they are tucked in good, so they do not get pinched.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:00 AM

Hey man THX 4 the advise
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the great writeup, it works for the evo!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 02:52 PM

what if i have a jvc mp3 head unit laying around in another car. will i need to be removing wires that came with the headunit when i first bought it?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoCalThunder
what if i have a jvc mp3 head unit laying around in another car. will i need to be removing wires that came with the headunit when i first bought it?
pull out the head unit, and unplug the wiring harness (there will be 2 connected back there). where the 2 plugs for each harness are hooked up/soldered together, unhook them or clip them in the middle. then, buy a wiring harness for a Lancer at Circuit City or Best Buy or ANY car audio shop for that matter and match up the colors on the Lancer harness and the JVC harness and just plug them in and you're set!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:57 PM
SJ
Evolving Member

nice job man~

is there any differece between the stock one and that? better sound?
i plannig to get a head unit or w/screen thing (dun no what it call...haha)
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

i got a problem with my cd deck install...i recently purchased Kenwood 50W x 4 MOSFET iPod™/Sirius Radio-Ready CD Deck with MP3 and WMA Playback and when they installed it you can see the black outline around it but the frame also wont fit...? they recommended me to super glue the frame onto the actually deck but i havnt decided too...is it best buys installation thats the problem or is it the cd player

sorry no pics but u can see the cd player

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134701325185
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:30 PM

has anyone found a solution to the head unit trim not fitting with this install method? I've noticed the OPs is like this as well as the person above me.

I just did an install on my gfs Lancer today and am having the same issue. This isn't really an acceptable install so hopefully someone can provide some pointers.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

nice work mate. Will try this soon
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:05 AM

5. pry off the cover of the climate control/CD player area.

a tip for this step.
push the cover (top corner next to glove box) from behind. Put a hand inside the dashboard through the glove box.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:20 PM

To get the trim to fit you can trim the trim. lol Just put a Alpine in my friends lancer and we just took the ol utility knife out and trimed the head units trim plate VERY SLOWLY (we over cut and snapped 2 of them) and then presto! looks good but he said it keeps popping off. i wonder if it is too snug around it somewhere and the vibrations are losening it.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:30 AM

great write-up....my stereo was stolen a few months back and they clipped that white half of the wiring harness in pic 14...does anyone know the part number so i can get a new one from mitsubishi??
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:19 PM

Dude, thank you for posting this. I just recieved my new pioneer today and these pics have truly boosted my confidence in doing this job. Don't suppose you have any step by steps on speaker replacement for your 02 do you?