Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step

Old Jun 20, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it didn't effect the sound at all, the zip ties are tied real tight so the speakers don't move at all
Old Jun 20, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Or you could remove the zip ties, and get some self tapping screws, and make your own holes... but that's too easy
Old Jun 21, 2003, 03:03 AM

Excellent thread! This writeup totally helped me out running power for my car computer. I used the same grounding that you used as well the two bolts for the back seats works out great.

Figure #3 was a pain in the *** trying to thread 12 guage wire to the inside. Took me 47 painstaking minutes working on that part. My fingers still hurt and its been about 10 hours. I had the tip of the wire in my fingers forever and I couldn't thread the wire thru anymore it was getting all bunched up, but hey once you get it thru its totally worth it.

When I was pushing the wire from the front door to the back door underneath the drivers side seatbelt following the existing wire I had to use a wire coat hanger to push it thru, at about 90% of the way it would get caught on one of those white plastic pieces.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah thats one of the *****iest parts. I pushed a coat hanger out through the hole in the grommit, then bent it tight around the wire with needle nose pliers, pulled it back through. Even that took a whlie.

Glad the guide helped a bit. I had to figure it all out mostly on my own, so i wanted to help other people avoid that.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 05:54 PM

wow, nice...I had someone else install my system didn't know how to at the time...but I have a question. is this lancer-specific? *gets ready for screaming* I don't drive a lancer, though I wish I did...as far as the "they pop right off" parts, I don't want to go yanking things off of bolts and having them be permenantly destroyed. if I follow this guide should I be alright? regardless, still lots of help...when I get another amp and more subs, I'll be sure to check back here...
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:25 AM

Ok... I know nothing about my stereo system. I am going to hook up these subs my fried gave me. out of this all i can figure out is how to setup the wiring, see nothing about hooking it up, my friend told me to go buy a pack kit and hook it up to the back speakers. but if there is an easier way, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

so you're just trying to add the subs to a stock system? if so you'll need a little wiring adaptor and amp with high-level inputs. check out www.crutchfield.com for some more instructions and parts pics.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have CATZ HIDs on my lancer. Does anyone know if the amp will dim the lights?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by OZ_Rally
I have CATZ HIDs on my lancer. Does anyone know if the amp will dim the lights?
You should probably grab a capacitor...

My amp dims my lights a little bit when I've really got it going at idle....

A cap will prevent that by helping to even out the drops in power to them from your alternator when the bass hits hard.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:47 PM

how do you mount the amp... (to the back of the seat??)
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

you can just screw it in. best to drill some guide holes, but after you have those, just run some screws through the mounting brackets for your amp and into the ones you drilled.

just make sure the drill bit you use is okay for metal, as thats what you should be putting it into on the back of the seat
Old Feb 14, 2004, 03:34 PM

very nice install. i just finished running all my wiring and the power wire (i have 4 ga.) was indeed the worst part. ill finish tomorrow when the sun is out and im not frikkin freezing! other than your amp mounting i have pretty much the same setup and wiring.
wish i found this how-to before i started! i spent over 2 hrs fishing that 4 ga. around.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

i have a question about wiring the amp:

Should i put in the power cable to the amp first or the ground to the power cable first?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by purecoda
so you're just trying to add the subs to a stock system? if so you'll need a little wiring adaptor and amp with high-level inputs. check out www.crutchfield.com for some more instructions and parts pics.
That adaptor you're referring to is called a line out converter. Since people are posting pics of trunk setups, here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step-dsc00762.jpg  
Old Apr 20, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by IILANCERII02
i have a question about wiring the amp:

Should i put in the power cable to the amp first or the ground to the power cable first?

Thanks
Well grounding the power cable will do you no good, but hook up either wire first, doesn't matter as long as the fuse is removed from the 12v line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step