Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

adjusting 4 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting 4 channel amp

i recently got my amp installed for 2003 lancer es

I have 400W 4 channel amp (80w rms x 4)
all 4 speakers have 50w rms

and.. my question is where there is the turning controls on gain, should i turn it to full gain or little gain because when i listen to music, the bass is not smooth. It's rough and not pretty.

So.. can somebody help me with adjusting gain controls and eq on the head unit?

I tried many ways but it just don't equalize.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

well if you are trying to get "good" base from component speakers your looking in the wrong place, get some subs for that. Those speakers are more for your highs rather than what your going for. Try adjusting the HPF (High Pass Filter) on either the amp or head unit, tweak around with that and your head units eqaulizer and you might see some desired results....but my advice get subs if you want bass.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
well if you are trying to get "good" base from component speakers your looking in the wrong place, get some subs for that. Those speakers are more for your highs rather than what your going for. Try adjusting the HPF (High Pass Filter) on either the amp or head unit, tweak around with that and your head units eqaulizer and you might see some desired results....but my advice get subs if you want bass.
Do you want your HU settings zeroed out when you tweak the amp?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427
Do you want your HU settings zeroed out when you tweak the amp?
Yes, whenever i install a system i zero out (or factory reset) my headunit. Then i play around for what i think sounds beast for that setup.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

rly its all trial and error..don't turn your gain all the way up it will (most likely) sound terrible..your not gunna get a great amount of bass out of components sry to tell you..i would start with it like half way..then kinda tweak your HU turn the equalizer to where you desire..hope u understand how the EQ works..otherwise most HU's come with pre-set EQ's to go with certain music and what not..i personally think that custom settings work better if u kno wut to do...but the pre sets are a good place to start.

its hard to explain where to turn all of the settings especially not knowing what controls you have available from your amp and HU but all i can say is mess around...and constantly check to see wut sounds good to u

but for bass u need subs
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J Money
rly its all trial and error..don't turn your gain all the way up it will (most likely) sound terrible..your not gunna get a great amount of bass out of components sry to tell you..i would start with it like half way..then kinda tweak your HU turn the equalizer to where you desire..hope u understand how the EQ works..otherwise most HU's come with pre-set EQ's to go with certain music and what not..i personally think that custom settings work better if u kno wut to do...but the pre sets are a good place to start.

its hard to explain where to turn all of the settings especially not knowing what controls you have available from your amp and HU but all i can say is mess around...and constantly check to see wut sounds good to u

but for bass u need subs
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly, read the owner's manual! It'll be the best advice hands-down to any of our suggestions...
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My method for tuning is this:
Turn all your gains/levels to their lowest setting. Turn on music you listen to most and turn the volume as high as it goes without distorting the speakers. From there begin tuning the bass to the loudest it will go again without distorting the speakers. Once you find the highest setting, mark it and turn it back down to the lowest. Do the same thing with your mids and highs only tuning one at a time. Once you have each of the levels worked out put them to the markings you made and enjoy.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
My method for tuning is this:
Turn all your gains/levels to their lowest setting. Turn on music you listen to most and turn the volume as high as it goes without distorting the speakers. From there begin tuning the bass to the loudest it will go again without distorting the speakers. Once you find the highest setting, mark it and turn it back down to the lowest. Do the same thing with your mids and highs only tuning one at a time. Once you have each of the levels worked out put them to the markings you made and enjoy.
Hmm that sounds like a good method.

Would anyone know which setting is what on a Kenwood amp? They are named with abbreviations such as HPF.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

HPF = High Pass Filter / LPF = Low Pass Filter
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:45 AM

ok guys, i got many good responses, thank you

but hey SLVROZ_03
sorry to ask you but what do high pass filter and low pass filter do?

i asked the audio technicians but i didn't understand very well.

there's switch that says HPF and LPF but i didn't try that b/c scared to blow the speakers

I'm not that good with audio system . help me out!!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shinbumee
ok guys, i got many good responses, thank you

but hey SLVROZ_03
sorry to ask you but what do high pass filter and low pass filter do?

i asked the audio technicians but i didn't understand very well.

there's switch that says HPF and LPF but i didn't try that b/c scared to blow the speakers

I'm not that good with audio system . help me out!!
Your HPF is used for your compponent speakers (i.e. front rear doors , 6x9 etc) it lets you regulate what frequencies go to your speakers so you can basicly block out some low freqs (i.e bass) and only get the good high notes from those speakers designed to recieve those higher pitched sounds.

Your LPF is more for your subs than anything, same as the HPF just for lower Freqs.

That answer your question?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
Your HPF is used for your compponent speakers (i.e. front rear doors , 6x9 etc) it lets you regulate what frequencies go to your speakers so you can basicly block out some low freqs (i.e bass) and only get the good high notes from those speakers designed to recieve those higher pitched sounds.

Your LPF is more for your subs than anything, same as the HPF just for lower Freqs.

That answer your question?
that makes sense because the HPF and LPF settings are only on one half of the amp.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Again, read the manual...hell, I still have the manual to my '97 Kenwood in the car right now. I still run to it when I change the setup...
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:30 PM

okay okay

i read the manual but lack of explanation

thanks guys

Quick Reply: adjusting 4 channel amp