Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Help Needed: Install aftermarket subwoofer and amp in 2009 Lancer ES Sport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Needed: Install aftermarket subwoofer and amp in 2009 Lancer ES Sport

Hey all you experts out there.

I have a 2009 lancer es sport without sun and sound package, and want to add in a aftermarket subwoofer and amp. For my sub it is 2 12" sony xplods 1200watt max each with a 800watt rms (I believe) Kenwood 2 channel amp. This is what I did for the install so far:

1. Couldn't find out where the hell to pull the 4 guage battery sub power cable through to a firewall so right now I have it running to the side of the door. Very risky I know but that is why I seek your help!! Could you post up a couple of clear detail pics of where I can run this safely through a firewall?

2. Tear down the kickplate and the seatbelt mid section plastic cover and tap into the speaker wires. From the driver side, the two wires are yellow with silver marking every 1" or so and a grey/blue looking wire. From the passenger side it's the yellow one and a pinkish red looking one. I used a continuity tester to test before actually tapping with a wire splice I believe I'm safe to this point.

3. Ran 5ft long speaker wires from both side as a tap to my line out to RCA converter. Now this is the part I'm kinda having doubts in. From the 5ft long tapped speaker wires, I use a voltmeter to test to see which one is the positive lead and the negative lead. My voltmeter reads around 2.0mV when set to VDC, is this correct? When I reversed the leads, I got -2.0mV so I know NOT to connect it this way to the line out to RCA converter.

4. Ran a 4 gauge ground wire in the back and bolt it to where there's no paint contact, and then hook up my remote blue wire to a 15V cigarette lighter fuse like people say on this forum.... again, I don't know if this is the correct way .

5. Plug the 17ft RCA wires I bought from the RCA converter to my amp using the line-out plug from the back of my amp. Is this correct?

6. Insert in an 80A fuse (my amp has two 30A fuse, so total 60A... is 80A too much?) and system power on fine!

However the thing to this is everytime I play a song, the part where it suppose to have bass and instead of giving me a hard thump I get a "braggggggggh braaaggggh" noise, kinda like busted speaker. Then next song where there's hard bass, it hits! It produce bass like it is, but like where there's just normal drums, there's that "bragggggghhhh braaaaghhhhhh" noise again.

So there's my whole complete horrific story on custom install my subwoofer and amp. Please help me out before I blow something and void my warranty!!!!!!! Thank you so much if you can help!!

P.S. Please PLEASSSSE post pictures to help me as I have no idea where is what located I'm learning through the process so please help me out before I blow up my car
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Do yourself a favour and get a pro to install. You will have nothing but headaches when trying to install yourself and not knowing anything.

FYI: a guy on another forum went this route and it ended u costing him is car as it burnt down to the incorrect fuses and wires.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

i dont know about the wires being tapped in right place but from you saying its bumps correct on one song and on other drum hits are soundin crappy kind of leads me to believe you dont have your amp set to 80hz or lower jus for bass notes and might be up in 200's lettin the subs hit notes you normally wouldnt want to hit. and for remote wire, you could of jus put it to a switch or tapped into the power wire of the radio. so when radio on amp on. search more about it you will find wiring diagrams all over the internet. or just do what greedy said professional. but if u need more help on wiring diagrams and all pm me.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:34 PM

Right now everything sounds MUCH much better thanks to a friend thank you to those who post as reply... itscypha sure please pm me the wiring diagram.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

no prob bro pm u tomorrow morning to get full access. was it the frequnecy hz?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about the LPF

Originally Posted by itscypha
i dont know about the wires being tapped in right place but from you saying its bumps correct on one song and on other drum hits are soundin crappy kind of leads me to believe you dont have your amp set to 80hz or lower jus for bass notes and might be up in 200's lettin the subs hit notes you normally wouldnt want to hit. and for remote wire, you could of jus put it to a switch or tapped into the power wire of the radio. so when radio on amp on. search more about it you will find wiring diagrams all over the internet. or just do what greedy said professional. but if u need more help on wiring diagrams and all pm me.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:26 AM

it was the rca converter adjustments. I had it on too high, and the lpf was on too high on the amp too. Now it's at 100 instead of 150... also i think i gotta change box soon. Anyone have a unused good ported sub enclosure that can support 2 12" they wanna give away? :P
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

build your own box man! 20 bucks for a sheet of 3/4" MDF, 5 bucks for silicone, 2 bucks for wood glue, and you can use screws man, just drill pilot holes first