Notices

RIPP blackbox question...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPP blackbox question...

Originally Posted by Rock
Your point is made Shingen. At least you don't like Greeny really. I will give you a dollar if you ask him this question...... "Did RIPP give him the software for their BlackBox or include it with their kit?" I know the answer but someone should ask that question. Somebody ask that question! We are going to release software out after the first. I pretty much know what I need to do and will do that to make it happen. As for our boxes, we have made 250 h.p. with them on turbo cars and made comparable power to any other piggy style box available so now with the software you guys can tune to your specific mods and do as much as your emanage friends and for sure outdo you AFC buds!

ROAD/RACE
Hey Greenpsycho: did RIPP give you the software for their BlackBox or include it with their kit? And how's the Lancer running these days?

Fox
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Wait...why would they give you anything? It's a learning piggyback. As far as I understand it there's no user input. I'm pretty sure you don't tune it.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:37 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, first to answer the question: Ross offered the software to me, but I didn't take it cause I didn't want it and had no use for it. It would be like offering me a grenade, it would be cool to have, but I'd be dumb and "test" it out one night when I'm drunk and end up killing an entire pack of rare monkeys

But I can only speak for myself, I know Ross offered me the software if I wanted it and perhaps further down the line I'll take him up on it once I start messing with cam timing (camshaft and camgear mods to come). Don't think he does that for everyone, its on a customer by customer basis. For the most part, the software isn't need cause unlike some other pretuned boxes, the RIPP SDS has no problems running in the winter, or anywhere in the USA or canada for that matter (see my thread here for more info)

If someone wanted the software for a custom tune (like HC pistons, cam timing, etc etc) RIPP would be happy to work with the customer cause they recognize not everyone lives without driving distance of staten island. Also, what is neat is RIPP has shops all over the USA (found here. These are shops with experience with the SDS, so they can not only install it for you, but possibly even do a custom tune for you (if they are equipped to do so) if you have special needs.

But perhaps the point is mute, cause Rob said he "already knows the answer." Or does he? Me thinks not. Better bust out that checkbook Rob, I think fox wants his money
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Rock said ask the question so I did. Would have done it in the old thread but he had it closed. I'm eating a hotdog for lunch and waiting for a response from Greeny. I wait with anticiaption... yummm... hotdog.

Fox

Edit: Damn Green, you posted up before I could... I almost choked on my dog.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
Well, first to answer the question: Ross offered the software to me, but I didn't take it cause I didn't want it and had no use for it. It would be like offering me a grenade, it would be cool to have, but I'd be dumb and "test" it out one night when I'm drunk and end up killing an entire pack of rare monkeys

But I can only speak for myself, I know Ross offered me the software if I wanted it and perhaps further down the line I'll take him up on it once I start messing with cam timing (camshaft and camgear mods to come). Don't think he does that for everyone, its on a customer by customer basis. For the most part, the software isn't need cause unlike some other pretuned boxes, the RIPP SDS has no problems running in the winter, or anywhere in the USA or canada for that matter (see my thread here for more info)

If someone wanted the software for a custom tune (like HC pistons, cam timing, etc etc) RIPP would be happy to work with the customer cause they recognize not everyone lives without driving distance of staten island. Also, what is neat is RIPP has shops all over the USA (found here. These are shops with experience with the SDS, so they can not only install it for you, but possibly even do a custom tune for you (if they are equipped to do so) if you have special needs.

But perhaps the point is mute, cause Rob said he "already knows the answer." Or does he? Me thinks not. Better bust out that checkbook Rob, I think fox wants his money
So wait...can you clarify for me here? My understanding was that they black box was a piggy-back self-learning ECU. As I understood it there was very little cause for retuning because it could learn around most supporting mods. Did I have the right idea or was I way off?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
Wait...why would they give you anything? It's a learning piggyback. As far as I understand it there's no user input. I'm pretty sure you don't tune it.
well, yeah, for the most part you wouldn't unless you are upping/lowering compression or adding in some camshafts/cam gears. But you do need a "base tune" you can't just hook up the sds, plug in a blank box and teach it from scratch. I don't know alot of specifics about the black box though, so I can't answer alot of these questions with technical proficiency.

edit:

Originally Posted by hobiekopek
So wait...can you clarify for me here? My understanding was that they black box was a piggy-back self-learning ECU. As I understood it there was very little cause for retuning because it could learn around most supporting mods. Did I have the right idea or was I way off?
no, your are correct, the only reason ross offered me the software is cause he knows i'm going to be pushing the lancer to its max. and it can learn the supporting mods (header, intake, large throttle body, etc) but I'm 99% positive you would need to retune for the camshaft because it changes everything, if only a tiny bit.

Last edited by GreenPsycho; Dec 13, 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Please, no money is needed. I was just doing as Rob requested and asked the question. I wouldn't take the money anyway. Although that would bring the price of the RRM PB down to 428 so maybe I will take that money...

Fox
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok. I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly, because my impression of it had been rather favorable. I didn't want to think I had misunderstood it all this time. I just wonder how they do the fuel maps on a narrowband sensor.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:52 AM
Account Disabled

yeah, its definately a neat little box. I wish I knew more about it so I could explain it better, probably Ross is the only one that knows enough about it to explain it. Maybe this summer I'll try to do some research on it so I can let you guys know how it works a little bit better.

I'm just content with the fact that it self tunes, which I have noticed first hand, cause as I've said before, I've driven in loads of different climates and elevations, and for each it adjusted to the pressure difference and humidity levels.

edit: Fox, if you don't want the money, I'll gladly take it. Hell, I'll mount and frame a $1 check from RRM just for laughs LOL

Last edited by GreenPsycho; Dec 13, 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, its definately a neat little box. I wish I knew more about it so I could explain it better, LOL
I wish you would know more about it.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

edit: Fox, if you don't want the money, I'll gladly take it. Hell, I'll mount and frame a $1 check from RRM just for laughs LOL
You know I was thinking of doing the same thing... haha... but I feel that it was really just an honest mistake on Rob's part. He assumed that RIPP would not give out the software. He assumed wrong. I don't want to get under Rob's skin cause he is a good guy and I genuinly think that RRM is a good shop and they make good products. This thread is specifially about RIPP's black box and to address an issue that Rob brought up in a thread he had closed. Let's keep it on topic.

Fox
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

he doesn't have the experience to know more about it according to ROSS. I asked him about it and he didn't recall offering you the software. Maybe he'd forgotten about it since it was some time ago.

Good thing you're local though as you can just go and get it retuned if needed. As for the learning process he told me the same thing i stated in your other post. The tune itself doesn't float. The stock ecu does... his software/box allows a marriage between the two in order to all them to work effectivley together. However his box does have other features most don't.

I talked to him about the utec and how similiar it was to his setup and he agreed on some and blasted others. However he does know that there are a few piggy back companies coming up with similiar and some better designs. What can you do though... it's a fierce world out there.

Anyway... i also asked about his posting of "no lancer engine blown since the black box was implemented." I specifically pointed out a member named zoolancer or zooracer(can't remember). He stated he didn't have the appropriate tune in the box so it didn't count. Then i asked him about a couple of tibby guys... still didn't count as they had one or more things different on their setups. Finally i asked if the SC was dependant upon having the same setup as tested... he said yes and no... DAMN!! Can't anyone give straight answers around here?

I will hopefully have my Tibby kit after the holidays... we'll see how all that goes on the GF's car. Then i'll be able to give you guys some descent feedback of that at least. I will say ROSS is about the only one you can talk to over there... the others seem like dumbies. Either that or they pass the phone around a lot... it's frustrating.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

Its possible Ross forgot about it, neither of us made a big deal about it, he just mentioned "you can have the software if you want it" and I replied "nah, I don't want it" and that was the end of it

In regards to zooracer's setup in particular (zooracer is nextgen's older brother) their lancer was the prototype, the very first one, so RIPP was basically starting from scratch trying to figure stuff out. From what nextgen told me, what happened is they fried some pistons cause zoo didn't hook up a coolant hose or something. But RIPP helped them out and got them back on their feet.

For the tib guys, I have actually troubleshooted a few of them and I've heard some stories too: alot of it is just stupid people or bad install. You could have the easiest thing to install in the world (like a CAI) and is jo schmo doesn't know what he's doing, he can screw up his engine. Also keep in mind the tib package does not come pretuned, something about the blackbox not getting along with the stock ecu. so if you got a bad tune, bam, you blow up. You try to tune it yourself, blow up.

I remember one guy brought his eclipse into the shop cause his car couldn't run right. He made a big fuss about it and was unhappy with RIPP. They looked at his car and he had removed the bypass valve that comes with the kit and replaced it with a greddy type S BOV. Why? So it was louder. Well, yeah, duh man, no kidding its not going to run right, RIPP had to specially designed their bypass valve to work with the vortech unit to alleviate compressor surge, the turbo BOV's just don't work quite right (and he probably damanged his vortech unit too, dunno)

Ross isn't the only smart one over their, but he knows the most about tuning. His dad does the mechanical junk, Keith answers phones in the afternoon, mark is the tech guru guy (he handles the tech line and all troubleshooting stuff and does the mechanical stuff). Mark is actually really knowledgable, so if Ross isn't there you could ask for him.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Cool... thanks for the assist on who to ask for.

Seems RRM and RIPP both have the same issues huh? People play with what they don't know, blow their stuff up, and then blame the vendor! Damn i hate that.

However i was told that the tibby setup was tuned and good to go... are you sure it's untuned?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

actually I JUST read on RIPP's forums (you should check them out, they aren't as active as evoM, but they have some good info) that RIPP came out with a new tib setup that includes upgraded pump, larger injectors, and flashed ecu to control it all. apparently there is a thread on newtib about it. I would call up and get the details on it, sounds promising though.

Quick Reply: RIPP blackbox question...