Notices

Road/Race Piggy-Back Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabidhamster
that piggy back box you got was for Fuel only not ign (split sec lists that box as fuel only anyways..)

On RRM its states what can be changed. Straight off the site:

"The software is a WindowsTM based software package that provides the user interface for all of RRM's Piggyback ECU units. It will allow you to optimize your tune , tune for street or strip, various octanes and you can mazimize new mods from cams to pistons or intakes. It operates on a WindowsTM 95/98, XP or 2000 platform. An unlimited number of user or customer files can be created. Within these files are the three dimensional maps and settings that are used to control fuel delivery, ignition timing, EGO sensor offset and a variety of other engine parameters."
Old Aug 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The end number is not critical. It is t he gain. I still need to scan the dyno we did.

ROAD/RACE
Old Aug 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

look man.. I'm going by who MADE the product, not who's selling it

from Split second

The PSC1 Programmable Signal Calibrator provides precise calibration of fuel by adjusting fuel control signals. It can be used with naturally aspirated or forced induction engines. Through a serial interface, the PSC1 can be programmed by a laptop computer running the Split Second R4 software. The software provides three dimensional mapping of the fuel control signal according to engine load and RPM. Several versions of the PSC1 are available that are compatible with MAP, MAF, AFM and Karman Vortex applications.

now the FIRST picture you show.. is a PSC1 ...

maybe RRM can comment on this? cause the PSC1 is FUEL ONLY

the FTC1 is fuel and timing
Old Aug 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rabidhamster
look man.. I'm going by who MADE the product, not who's selling it

from Split second

The PSC1 Programmable Signal Calibrator provides precise calibration of fuel by adjusting fuel control signals. It can be used with naturally aspirated or forced induction engines. Through a serial interface, the PSC1 can be programmed by a laptop computer running the Split Second R4 software. The software provides three dimensional mapping of the fuel control signal according to engine load and RPM. Several versions of the PSC1 are available that are compatible with MAP, MAF, AFM and Karman Vortex applications.

now the FIRST picture you show.. is a PSC1 ...

maybe RRM can comment on this? cause the PSC1 is FUEL ONLY

the FTC1 is fuel and timing

You are right. Serious quoted the generic description from piggytech page not product description. Piggytech discusses all the various piggys. We have some that do timing too but this is not one of those. Beleive me, you do not want a timing one really for N/A unlesss you want to run higher octane fuel. We do not want you to have to run higher octanes. That is why Piggyback is hard to beat on power for the same octane as stock!

ROAD/RACE
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

thanks Rock

some of us are ready and willing to run higher oct (and do already) .. so maybe you could do a fuel and timing for oh.. 90/91 oct? *hint.. hint* LOL

I didn't mean for that above post to 'bash' RRM and if it looked that way .. I really really didn't mean it.. I just wanted the fact known about this particular piggy

that all aside.. the reviews are definately getting me to think about it... as much as I want the fuel and timing... the preprogrammed PSC1 piggy that is out right now is very very enticing
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

I stand corrected.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeRious08
I stand corrected.
Don't feel bad. You are making great power and your timing is stock which means you can still run 87 octane!

ROAD/RACE
Old Aug 3, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Oh I don't Rob. Nor will I ever. I got more power, tq, and BETTER gas mileage.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^envy
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

Great better fuel, but warranty?

You warranty will be shot as soon as they scan you car with a computer.

Its not like the old days with handheld scanners and limited software.

Its all programmed software and will be able to snapshot the times and dates you have modified the ecu, unless rrm have found some way around this. Because I know working at "xxx" dealership that everything can and will be recorded into the ecu.

Take for instance, my friends 1992 porche tells the dealer how many times he has redlined it and how fast he has gone...

Yes its not a porche, but you think some electrical tape on ecu wires isn't going to be noticable??? You gotta be kidding!

As a mechanic thats the first place I would look. Plus with those crappy connectors out in the open environment, you are just looking for corrosion.

Sorry for the guys at rrm but you put together a great program to get better fuel mileage but didn't think too much on the warranty issue.

Think about what your ecm record before you go and do this...yes you can physically hide it, but what about digitally? good luck with warranty later if you need it
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

you still can't excede the factory limits though. yes they may beable to get you on wiring if that turns out to be the fault

where the piggy sets it is still places the factory ECU can access if it needs too. it's something you can fight. but if your connectors cause a fault in the wiring due too a cut/broken wire or corrosion, they yeah your out to lunch.

as for recording... yes they can freezeframe if a fault is set.. your short and long term fuel trims will show what maps they are in

but again, even them proving you have one (which isn't that hard physically) if the ECU fails, its an ecu failure. the piggy can't tell the ecu to go somewhere it can't already access

BTW.. I'm in the field too
Old Aug 5, 2007, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the trucks I work on have up to 11 ECU's all talking to each other.

If the engine ecu is anything like our it will be able to tell you a lot more than just freeze frames when faults are stored. The freeze frames are just used to diagnose an inactive fault that has had a fair many counts.

The ecu and dealer software can do a lot more, unless you work at mitsu, i would be wary of readily waiving a 10 year warranty.

To be honest i dont even like the wiring. Unless you paste it up with some grote electrical grease. If you want go ahead and tape it up...it even traps the moisture more that without.

I just can't put myself to possibly voiding my warranty with and extra 10-15 ponies....
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^agreed.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm. I just went to the dealership and talked over with the techs. They said that the piggy "WOULD NOT" void my warranty. He hooked up an ECU scanner and he said it didn't flash anything out of the norm.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

sweet then when i go to get my Inspection lighjt reset they won't trip on anything.

Quick Reply: Road/Race Piggy-Back Evaluation