Notices

rrm sri

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by constantlehigh
That's true, but it all depends on what kind of SRI it is. Typhoon-style filters are designed for much higher flowrates. I wasn't suggesting that SRI's are better than CAI for turbos...I should have worded that better. I simply was trying to stress that with NA engines, you can benefit from a CAI much more so that an SRI.

As far as the HP gain, please don't be so quick to call BS. If you do your research, Injen claims a peak 10 HP gain:

http://www.injen.com/galleries/produ...5dynograph.jpg

I did my dyno testing at a GM-sponsored engine lab at my university, along with two other PhD students. I do not have the charts currently since I'm at work, but I assure you I observed a 7-8 HP increase. Whether you want to believe that or not, it doesn't matter to me. Enough people on here agree that the Injen is the best intake option for the 08 Lancers.
The difference between an SRI and a CAI will be less dramatic with an NA engine than a turbo engine because of engine bay temperature.
Injen makes the intake, you cannot be so naive as to trust the manufacturer. Magnaflow claims a 10 HP gain with their exhaust which is absolute BS (and independently verified to be BS). The variation on a dyno can be greater than the gains claimed by some manufacturers, scientifically that makes it insignificant.
Back when I had my Lancer, people believed a lot of things that we now know are false, I don't take the beliefs of the masses as evidence of fact.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The difference between an SRI and a CAI will be less dramatic with an NA engine than a turbo engine because of engine bay temperature.
Injen makes the intake, you cannot be so naive as to trust the manufacturer. Magnaflow claims a 10 HP gain with their exhaust which is absolute BS (and independently verified to be BS). The variation on a dyno can be greater than the gains claimed by some manufacturers, scientifically that makes it insignificant.
Back when I had my Lancer, people believed a lot of things that we now know are false, I don't take the beliefs of the masses as evidence of fact.
I'm not claiming that Injen's 10 hp spec is accurate. If you read more carefully, I noted that I dyno'd the intake myself (along with people who teach thermodynamics and mech eng for a living) and saw about a 7 hp peak gain. Blind skepticism is all i'm hearing, I haven't found anyone else's dyno results that would cause a 7hp gain to seem so unreasonable. I trust the measuring equipment and expertise of the people I work with; afterall, they use the same dyno for post graduate engine research
Old Sep 8, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm not claiming that Injen's 10 hp spec is accurate. If you read more carefully, I noted that I dyno'd the intake myself (along with people who teach thermodynamics and mech eng for a living) and saw about a 7 hp peak gain. Blind skepticism is all i'm hearing, I haven't found anyone else's dyno results that would cause a 7hp gain to seem so unreasonable. I trust the measuring equipment and expertise of the people I work with; afterall, they use the same dyno for post graduate engine research
It's not blind skepticism, it's skepticism because there's no evidence provided, just "I saw X".
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

As far as the water goes - there is a "hydroshield" available to give you extra assurance no water or debris will work its way into the throttle manifold. But honestly, there is no chance of sucking up water with or without the shield. There's nothing wrong with the filter getting wet. The way the intake tube and pipe are situated, it would take a lot of negative pressure to suck water all the way up the tube - way more than the intake actually pulls. And besides, you'd have to be driving your car thru some MAJOR flooding, like completely submerging the wheels, in order to submerge the filter. If you plan on doing that get yourself a snorkel
Not true... To test this, try misting your intake filter with a spray bottle and see what happens... Your engine doesn't need to suck up any large quantity of water to seize. Even a small quantity of water into the throttle body can cause your engine to seize. I've seen a CAI seize an engine in just a few inches of water. Not worth the chance IMO. For possiblly 2 extra HP difference between SRI and CAI; I'll save my money and not worry about buying a new engine.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by RTW EVO
Not true... To test this, try misting your intake filter with a spray bottle and see what happens... Your engine doesn't need to suck up any large quantity of water to seize. Even a small quantity of water into the throttle body can cause your engine to seize. I've seen a CAI seize an engine in just a few inches of water. Not worth the chance IMO. For possiblly 2 extra HP difference between SRI and CAI; I'll save my money and not worry about buying a new engine.

This is why Im iffy on them. Lol. This was a reason I got a SRI for my Mustang. That thing washed the inside of the bumper on rainy days. I think Ill stick with K&N Typhoon and Spectrum Elite as my first mods
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RTW EVO
Misting your intake filter won't do anything, I'm certain of that. As testiment, I've been using the CAI for a while now in an area that has seen A LOT of rain and a lot of flooding since my install. Everything runs like a charm. I agree that it doesn't take a lot of water to seize an engine, but its just not mechanically possible to suck water up that pipe if it isn't fully submerged - there simply isn't enough force. And to submerge the filter you'd need water about halfway up the wheel well.