Notices

rrm sri

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rrm sri

just order mine today. should be here sometime next week!! i will post pics!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just noticed your from the 757...im at va beach like twice a week.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:31 AM

haha yeah im from VB and i just started to get into cars. imo sri is the easiest mod to get first.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

honesty no need for a thread..many people have it already and its nothing special..honestly you should have saved your money and got the CAI i have the SRI and all it does to me is make noise
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:02 PM

well i opt to get the sri becuase it is cheap and i am planning on getting an greddy ti-c.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 757lancergts
well i opt to get the sri becuase it is cheap and i am planning on getting an greddy ti-c.
I have heard that a drop in air filter will give you more hp than a sri.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

how often do you have to chane the filter on the SRI?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:50 AM

You don't. If it starts looking dirty just remove the filter, vacuum it out (EDIT: sorry for suggesting the use of compressed air -- apparently that's a bad idea), re-oil it, and re-install.

Last edited by surfer; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

if u have an 09 gts you will probably be severely dissapointed in the rrm sri. the best bet is injens 2.4l CAI for the lancer, it works great and they did a good job at tuning it.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer
You don't. If it starts looking dirty just remove the filter, blow it out with compressed air, re-oil it, and re-install.
NEVER blow your filter with compressed air. This does not clean it properly and damages the filter giving you a higher chance that you may dust your engine.

Buy the proper cleaning kit and do it the right way. every 10 000 miles or less
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

i think ams oil recommends you use a vacucm, on their dry filters i believe they specifically say not to use compressed air.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:19 PM

Sorry but im iffy on CAIs... what about water getting in the filter? would i just have to opt out of driving on rainy days? sorry for off top
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:28 AM

I currently have the Injen CAI 2.0L installed in my 08 ES. I highly recommend it over the SRI, since any SRI will only produce more noise and negligible HP. You might see a 2 or 3 HP gain...but think about it - you're paying over $100/HP gained. Waste of time/money. IMO SRI's are best used in turbo'd cars, where the advantage of cold air is lost due to the extra heat produced by the turbo. Since you and I have naturally aspirated engines, it's to our advantage to utilize the denser, colder air sucked in by CAI's. The install is slightly more difficult but you'll be a lot happier with the result. I noticed about a 7 or 8 HP gain with the Injen, and you can really hear it roar at higher RPM's.

As far as the water goes - there is a "hydroshield" available to give you extra assurance no water or debris will work its way into the throttle manifold. But honestly, there is no chance of sucking up water with or without the shield. There's nothing wrong with the filter getting wet. The way the intake tube and pipe are situated, it would take a lot of negative pressure to suck water all the way up the tube - way more than the intake actually pulls. And besides, you'd have to be driving your car thru some MAJOR flooding, like completely submerging the wheels, in order to submerge the filter. If you plan on doing that get yourself a snorkel

Having worked in the filter industry (designing and testing hydraulic filters, nearly identical to intake filters), the best way to get these guys clean is to use a water hose with some pressure behind it. A pressure washer MIGHT work if you have it on the lowest setting, careful not to rip the filter. Or a normal garden hose with a spray nozzle should get all the gunk out. Be sure to let it dry a while then too.

Hope this helps, I'd say go for the Injen CAI or the K&N CAI, they always make good products.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by constantlehigh
I currently have the Injen CAI 2.0L installed in my 08 ES. I highly recommend it over the SRI, since any SRI will only produce more noise and negligible HP. You might see a 2 or 3 HP gain...but think about it - you're paying over $100/HP gained. Waste of time/money. IMO SRI's are best used in turbo'd cars, where the advantage of cold air is lost due to the extra heat produced by the turbo. Since you and I have naturally aspirated engines, it's to our advantage to utilize the denser, colder air sucked in by CAI's. The install is slightly more difficult but you'll be a lot happier with the result. I noticed about a 7 or 8 HP gain with the Injen, and you can really hear it roar at higher RPM's.

As far as the water goes - there is a "hydroshield" available to give you extra assurance no water or debris will work its way into the throttle manifold. But honestly, there is no chance of sucking up water with or without the shield. There's nothing wrong with the filter getting wet. The way the intake tube and pipe are situated, it would take a lot of negative pressure to suck water all the way up the tube - way more than the intake actually pulls. And besides, you'd have to be driving your car thru some MAJOR flooding, like completely submerging the wheels, in order to submerge the filter. If you plan on doing that get yourself a snorkel

Having worked in the filter industry (designing and testing hydraulic filters, nearly identical to intake filters), the best way to get these guys clean is to use a water hose with some pressure behind it. A pressure washer MIGHT work if you have it on the lowest setting, careful not to rip the filter. Or a normal garden hose with a spray nozzle should get all the gunk out. Be sure to let it dry a while then too.

Hope this helps, I'd say go for the Injen CAI or the K&N CAI, they always make good products.
This is wrong, an SRI on a turbo car can lead to all kinds of problems because of the extra heat in the engine bay. Extra heat means less air and a higher chance for knock.
Do you have proof that you gained 8 HP with a CAI? I call BS on that one.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
This is wrong, an SRI on a turbo car can lead to all kinds of problems because of the extra heat in the engine bay. Extra heat means less air and a higher chance for knock.
Do you have proof that you gained 8 HP with a CAI? I call BS on that one.
That's true, but it all depends on what kind of SRI it is. Typhoon-style filters are designed for much higher flowrates. I wasn't suggesting that SRI's are better than CAI for turbos...I should have worded that better. I simply was trying to stress that with NA engines, you can benefit from a CAI much more so that an SRI.

As far as the HP gain, please don't be so quick to call BS. If you do your research, Injen claims a peak 10 HP gain:

http://www.injen.com/galleries/produ...5dynograph.jpg

I did my dyno testing at a GM-sponsored engine lab at my university, along with two other PhD students. I do not have the charts currently since I'm at work, but I assure you I observed a 7-8 HP increase. Whether you want to believe that or not, it doesn't matter to me. Enough people on here agree that the Injen is the best intake option for the 08 Lancers.