Notices

4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?

So if any of you saw my OT thread about how I destroyed my cylinder head, you pretty much know what I've been through:-p The only head I could find in my pricerange and could get the fastest was out of a 97 Mirage (4g93) w/ 72k on it. Needed a little TLC, but not nearly what my grenaded 4g94 would need. Anyway, finally got the 4g93 head valve job done, got everything installed, torqued up, and can get it to turn over, but can't get it to start.

It catches a few times like it wants to, but never stays running. I've double-checked the compression for each cylinder, cleaned and reseated the plugs/boots/coils, disconnected and reconnected the battery, doublechecked all wires and hoses...no leaks, no splits, missed connections, nothing.

Now I'm wondering if I'm in a mess where I need to flash the ecu to allow for a different spark timing (which I didn't think would be an issue since the cam sensor sends the signal to the ecu for spark, right?), or pull the stupid thing off and throw the 4g94 cam back in it. Would using the cam sensor from the 4g94 make any difference on the 4g93 cam? Should I splice in the g93 one instead (I'm really hoping this could be the issue, but I'm grasping at straws)?

I don't have a tactrix cable, and wouldn't be able to get one for a bit (shipping, it's the weekend)...but really don't feel like messing with ecuflash for the first time on an unplanned cam change, which is why i'm considering basically rebuilding the 4g93 head with the g94 cam.

I am going to keep the g93 cam anyway, so that if it is just an ecuflash mod, I'll be able to do it in the future...so any thoughts on the situation would still be valuable.

And by all means, if you have a simple fix that doesn't involve me swapping cams, i'd be all over it!

Last edited by jwick76; Dec 5, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Just swapping in a 4G93 cam into a 4G94 head would not require a tune. You need to make sure that you pulled everything off of your original Lancer head and moved it onto the Mirage head. You need every piece and sensor, except for the cam itself. Did you swap over the cam position sensor trigger from the Lancer cam or did you just use the Mirage one? That will make the difference between starting and what your engine is doing now.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, you're the f'n man. If you're ever around the Worcester, MA area, hit me up, I owe you a beer Car started right off. And my wonderful douche brother stands corrected...he'd been telling me for 3 days that the sensors don't matter. Once I threw it at him that one of the gurus on evom backed my play, he listened....and now my car is up and running.

Thanks again bro!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

No worries. Glad to hear you're up and running again!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, and what is the difference you noticed after the head swapping?? I curious about that.
thanks
Old Dec 6, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marco-ir
hey, and what is the difference you noticed after the head swapping?? I curious about that.
thanks
The Mirage and Lancer heads are identical. It is the camshaft that is the only difference.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it's running fine...but it is throwing two SES codes:

P0340 Cam Position Sensor
A Bank 1Ckt
Malfunction

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor
A Circuit Malfunction

Any ideas? I'm fine with the car running now, I plan to baby it for a while (keep it under 60mph, no hard acceleration) until I get these codes addressed. Is this something I'm going to need a tactrix cable and ecuflash for?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marco-ir
thanks
Well, all I've found so far is that this cam is basically a "stage 1" cam for our cars, which means nothing to me:-p I've never messed with cams before, the limit of my engine knowledge. SO, from what I've gathered i can expect mild low-end torque gains, with a sacrifice of higher RPM torque. As I'm not familiar with the differences between the lift and duration of the cams, I don't know exactly how dramatic this change in torque will be, and won't know for sure until I'm positive everything's kosher with the engine.

I'm assuming Mitsu did the more aggressive cam to make up for the 1.8L bottom, and once they bored it to 2.0L they went for a cam that would gain some more top end power to balance the car out. *shrugs*

I still have to adjust the alignment in the front as we found that my front tires are completely bald on the inside, which pisses me off as I just had it aligned in March.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

after a day of driving, putting 117 miles on the new head, I've noticed that it idles smoother, starts faster, shuts off quicker, and has a much less "racey" feeling when gaining speed, feels like the motor doesn't have to do as much work to do the same performance. Then again, i am still babying it, so I'll give a more in-depth review once I decide it's safe.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
Well, it's running fine...but it is throwing two SES codes:

P0340 Cam Position Sensor
A Bank 1Ckt
Malfunction

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor
A Circuit Malfunction

Any ideas? I'm fine with the car running now, I plan to baby it for a while (keep it under 60mph, no hard acceleration) until I get these codes addressed. Is this something I'm going to need a tactrix cable and ecuflash for?
Hey, if anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, if anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it
Are you using the Mirage cam position sensor trigger or the Lancer trigger? Also, are you using the Mirage cam position sensor or the Lancer sensor? All in all, the only parts that came from the Mirage that should be installed on your engine are the cylinder head itself and the camshaft. Every other piece and sensor should've been pulled off the Lancer head and installed on the Mirage head. Issues with the cam position sensor will also trigger codes for the crankshaft position sensor.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

So you're saying that this is definitely a sensor issue and nothing else? I changed over the cam position sensor, and used the existing harness connector (not splicing into the original connection clip). Is there a different PIN configuration for the wiring that's messing it up?

There's an additional sensor located behind the cam sensor towards the bottom of the cylinder head. What is this sensor, and would that cause any of these problems?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

So you're saying that this is definitely a sensor issue and nothing else? I changed over the cam position sensor, and used the existing harness connector (not splicing into the original connection clip). Is there a different PIN configuration for the wiring that's messing it up?

There's an additional sensor located behind the cam sensor towards the bottom of the cylinder head. What is this sensor, and would that cause any of these problems?
Did you also transfer over the Lancer camshaft position sensing plate that sits on the end of the camshaft, between the camshaft and the camshaft position sensor? If you got the Mirage head as a complete assembly I'm guessing you didn't. If you didn't have the Lancer sensing plate installed onto the Mirage camshaft, then I'm 99.99999% sure that this is your problem.
Attached Thumbnails 4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?-capture.png  
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

So this is on the inside of the head and I have to take the cam back out to do it? Well, at least I have a while before my next inspection, so I have some time before I have to mess with it...

And just to get it straight, what I've done so far:

Couldn't start the engine using the 4g94 sending unit, so switched it out with the 4g93 sending unit and the car starts and runs, but throws a camshaft and crankshaft code. Ur saying that I should change the sending plate on the inside of the 4g93 head with the 4g94 sending plate? I didn't just change the camshafts over, I switched heads completely as my 4g94 head is toast and needs a complete rebuild and extensive machine work.

Just want to make sure we're both on the same page before I go and start taking everything apart...

Last edited by jwick76; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more complete answer
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

So this is on the inside of the head and I have to take the cam back out to do it? Well, at least I have a while before my next inspection, so I have some time before I have to mess with it...

And just to get it straight, what I've done so far:

Couldn't start the engine using the 4g94 sending unit, so switched it out with the 4g93 sending unit and the car starts and runs, but throws a camshaft and crankshaft code. Ur saying that I should change the sending plate on the inside of the 4g93 head with the 4g94 sending plate? I didn't just change the camshafts over, I switched heads completely as my 4g94 head is toast and needs a complete rebuild and extensive machine work.

Just want to make sure we're both on the same page before I go and start taking everything apart...
Ok. Now I'm 100% convinced that this is the issue. The reason you needed to use the 4G93 camshaft position sensor is because the 4G93 sensing plate was still installed. That's why your car started, but is now throwing codes. IIRC you should be able to remove the camshaft position sensor housing from the cylinder head to reveal the sensing plate installed on the end of the camshaft. Remove the one bolt holding the sensing plate to the end of the camshaft and install the sensing plate from the Lancer camshaft onto the Mirage camshaft. Torque the bolt down to 16+-3 ft-lbs. You can see the attached FSM diagram for the other torque specs and what not.
Attached Thumbnails 4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?-capture.png  

Quick Reply: 4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?