Notices

4g93 camshaft on 4g94 motor, tune?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's so weird, never would have thought to do that. The plate is specific to the ECU? So the 4g94 plate with the 4g93 sensor.

I'll give this a go probably tuesday/wednesday.

Has anyone else done this swap before? I didn't find any posts. I take it you've done a cam swap or two in your OZ
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jwick76
That's so weird, never would have thought to do that. The plate is specific to the ECU? So the 4g94 plate with the 4g93 sensor.

I'll give this a go probably tuesday/wednesday.

Has anyone else done this swap before? I didn't find any posts. I take it you've done a cam swap or two in your OZ
I'm not sure if the sensing plate is specific to the camshaft position sensor, the ECU or both. You need to use the 4G94 sensing plate with the 4G94 camshaft position sensor. To perform a 4G93 cam swap, all you swap is the camshaft itself. Everything else from the 4G94 remains.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, did this yesterday, was a piece of cake. The sensing plates are completely different. Started up fine, cleared the codes and they haven't come back Didn't even have to take the valve cover off

Thanks for all the help bro!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is crazy, because i have a 2g93 motor laying around, that i took off my buddys mirage after he totaled it.. let me know if its worth doing all this work. i dont think it will make a difference if that mirage was automatic, since i'm only messing with motor parts.?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

The automatic and manual mirage cams are the same grinds. May I just be one to say that I didnt notice any difference on the butt dyno at all with this addition. For the prices people are paying for the mirage cams (seems to be an average of $100), you may as well save up a couple more bucks and buy a real upgraded camshaft. Just my 2 cents after experiencing it. I have plenty enough upgrades (header, 2.5 exhaust with borla can, injen cai, 501 MAF, port matched g93IM, Port matched head) to take advantage of a camshaft and this cam was not a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:26 AM

i meant 4g93*****
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
I have plenty enough upgrades (header, 2.5 exhaust with borla can, injen cai, 501 MAF, port matched g93IM, Port matched head) to take advantage of a camshaft and this cam was not a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Yeah, I agree with ^^^ I never would have gone this route as a performance option without the ported IM, larger MAF, ported head, and a cold air intake. I will say that as a completely unplanned for mod with a stock 4g94 IM, stock air intake (with K&N filter), stock g93 head, and 2.5in custom exhaust (trash can muffler) that I have experienced my engine not laboring as much during the lower RPMs to achieve power, the exhaust has a deeper tone, and I idle a LOT smoother.

SO, if you've got nothing better to do and have a weekend to burn, then sure, why not. Give you a good amount of time to paint the valve cover, maybe clean off the head if you take the whole thing out. Definitely a bit costly, so if you're going to do it as a project and not in an emergency (like mine was), then I'd say save up the extra money and get that 4g93 head ported and polished while you're at it. IF you're REALLY wanting to make the most of it, then get a quote on putting in larger valves and beefing it up to take more HP. Obviously this would make more sense if you're planning to go turbo and beefing up the bottom end of the engine, but like I said, if you have money and time to burn and want to take care of the top end while you're N/A, then go right ahead. You can always beef up the bottom when you decide to go turbo.

I think the larger valves will be an interesting mod. I got a complete 4g93 assembly from the junkyard/used parts for $220. Of course, they let that crap sit forever, so plan on your valve seals being shot, and have a professional check the valves to see if any were bent when it was being handled...these guys aren't paid to be careful, they're paid by how fast they can rip parts off and sell them. A complete head gasket/valve job set from rockauto ran me $78. If you're doing this yourself, make sure you have a service manual with torque specs for the head, and a spring compressor for the valves to change the seals, and it wouldn't hurt to have a compression tool to check everything when you're done.

If you're grabbing the head, you might as well grab an g93 intake manifold and port, polish, powdercoat it. And grab a bored out throttle body from RRM, and swap out your air intake for a nice Cold Air Intake (nothing cheap from eBay).

And plan to invest in ECUflash and a tactrix cable so you can get the larger MAF in there (lots of threads on how to do this).
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:57 AM

well since i'm going turbo. got a 501 maf, evo 8 ecu, usb cable to tune.. would this add me any hp, since i got a 4g94 siting in a garage. we took it out of a mirage a while back, because it was totaled, still ran perfect. if i just take the cam out of it, what do you guys think i'll gain?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vityenyka05
well since i'm going turbo. got a 501 maf, evo 8 ecu, usb cable to tune.. would this add me any hp, since i got a 4g94 siting in a garage. we took it out of a mirage a while back, because it was totaled, still ran perfect. if i just take the cam out of it, what do you guys think i'll gain?
Maybe like 5 hp or so. It's only a slight difference over the 4G94 cam. But every bit counts if you aren't going to get a staged cam from RPW or get your 4G94 cam reground.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

I did notice an increase in oil pressure over the 4g94 manifold...where I was idling at 2-8psi, now I'm idling 18-25psi. *shrugs* Didn't notice any pressure increase in the higher RPM range, but it is quicker off the line and a bit more aggressive *shrugs*. One of these days when I have extra cash i'll get it dynoed to see what the torque curves are...

This is with the entire 4g93 head, so that's probably making more of a difference than just the cam alone. No idea how this thing is ported, but it's definitely higher compression than the stock 4g94...

Last edited by jwick76; Jun 24, 2010 at 07:52 PM.