Notices

Questions about Works Brain Flash P1 on non-pzev 2008 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Works Brain Flash P1 on non-pzev 2008 Lancer

1) I'm contemplating reflashing my 2008 ES 5 speed with Works Brian Flash P1 (87 Octane). My powertrain is all stock. Has anyone out their done the flash to a non-PZEV 2008 Lancer? Can you comment on your experience with it?

2) I can find dyno runs for the PZEV version of our powertrain, but not for the 49-state version. If you dyno’ed the difference the flash makes on a 49-state car, can you please be so kind and post the results?

3) My biggest complaint about the OEM lancer calibration is the slow throttle response below 4k when I blip the throttle during downshifts. Does the P1 87 octane flash quicken low-end and mid-range throttle response on the non-PZEV model?

4) Works claims an increase in mileage. Did you notice any difference after the flash and if so, can you quantify it?

5) Even if you didn’t do the 87 octane flash, but did one of the higher octane flash's, I’d be interested in hearing addition comments regarding the above beyond what is already posted in the forum.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have installed the Works air filter and the 87 octane flash. I tried running some metrics to compare the OEM vs. updated flash, but the GPS on my Android phone just wasn't pulling in a enough satellite signals the night I uploaded the flash. I can report that the throttle response is certainly quicker. I can convince myself that the engine feels peppier, but that is much harder to discern with the "seat of the pants dyno". I think I notice the extra power when pulling thru a corner in 1st gear. I don't notice the increase in acceleration so much, but do notice an increase in torque steer. Some of you guys who have run older classics (e.g. 280z) might remember that your car seem to run best on cool days (say 50 deg F). Beyond the improved throttle response, that's what this change feels like.

Is it worth it? That's hard to say. If I was back in college or grad school where money was tight, I'd say no. Today I'd say it is a fair, but not amazing upgrade. The car is more fun to drive, but it isn't amazingly different nor did I expect it to be.