Notices

Lancer fuel tuning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Lancer fuel tuning

hey guys im still tuning my 04 lancer es turbo and im having issues with the afrs...when i go wot the afrs go down to 15-17 at 4k+ rpm and they go down to 11 if im only at around 60% throttle!? Anyone have seen this happen before? im running with the 440cc injectors set at 366 inj scaling running 12 psi (stock td05hr turbo wga) and it's actualy faster when im at 60% throttle so im thinking both fuel and timing is included in the problem? is this a maf scaling issue?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marcouxa1
hey guys im still tuning my 04 lancer es turbo and im having issues with the afrs...when i go wot the afrs go down to 15-17 at 4k+ rpm and they go down to 11 if im only at around 60% throttle!? Anyone have seen this happen before? im running with the 440cc injectors set at 366 inj scaling running 12 psi (stock td05hr turbo wga) and it's actualy faster when im at 60% throttle so im thinking both fuel and timing is included in the problem? is this a maf scaling issue?
Sounds like your hitting a load cap either maf related or tuning on one of the tables.

Log your maf HZ and adjust your scaling so it dumps more fuel in at the effected periods.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Sounds like your hitting a load cap either maf related or tuning on one of the tables.

Log your maf HZ and adjust your scaling so it dumps more fuel in at the effected periods.
Yea my maf is at 1593.75 hz at wot and my maf scaling is at 249.5 g/s at 1610 hz...im still using stock maf though maybe that's the problem? did anyone experience the same problem before using the evo 399 maf?

Last edited by marcouxa1; Aug 6, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Any ideas anyone?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any ideas anyone?
It sounds like you are overruning the sensor i would upgrade that maf.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

So yea i got my 399 maf in yesturday and it works much better now even with the stock evo 8 scalings! went from 15.4 to 15.1 at the 1/4 mile and i didn't have any good runs so should be in the 14s!!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So yea i got my 399 maf in yesturday and it works much better now even with the stock evo 8 scalings! went from 15.4 to 15.1 at the 1/4 mile and i didn't have any good runs so should be in the 14s!!!
Old thread I am aware but I have to ask about running 12 psi and given hw old this thread is , how did your motor handle that pressure that well (assuming you were stock bottom end, and if not the disregard this all together) PM me if it was SBE
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy2964
Old thread I am aware but I have to ask about running 12 psi and given hw old this thread is , how did your motor handle that pressure that well (assuming you were stock bottom end, and if not the disregard this all together) PM me if it was SBE
I have been pushing 15 for about a year now. The engine can handle it as long as you have a solid tune. You can easily blow your engine at 9 psi or less if the tune is sloppy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by 03lances
I have been pushing 15 for about a year now. The engine can handle it as long as you have a solid tune. You can easily blow your engine at 9 psi or less if the tune is sloppy.
Hey 03. My intent is to start with 4psi (thats what the external wg starts at) and work my way up to 7 as slowly and stable as possible.not to hi-jack a thread but would I be correct in saying that in doing so the best way is to set my WG to 5 psi and work my way up focusing on load and knock count? I understand there are multiple factors to take in to consideration in attempts to achieve even 5 psi but for safety matters my concern would be on the two factors previously mentioned?

I wanted to start my build thread just after mock up to allow all the "loose hairs" to be untangled and to have all bolted up properly. Maybe I should start this thread NOW?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey 03. My intent is to start with 4psi (thats what the external wg starts at) and work my way up to 7 as slowly and stable as possible.not to hi-jack a thread but would I be correct in saying that in doing so the best way is to set my WG to 5 psi and work my way up focusing on load and knock count? I understand there are multiple factors to take in to consideration in attempts to achieve even 5 psi but for safety matters my concern would be on the two factors previously mentioned?

I wanted to start my build thread just after mock up to allow all the "loose hairs" to be untangled and to have all bolted up properly. Maybe I should start this thread NOW?
+1 with 03lance I was ruuning 17 pounds, my theory was since the 2 motors are alomst the same the g94 can handle a little less than the evo but I rate that motor at 300hp I was at 240 withbad coils but I did race a mustang gt and beat it so i know my car was around 275 since thats where most of those cars hp lies around.

Start your thread so we can follow you and get you up to speed with everyone else. And your tune has to be solid 14.7-15.1 for crusiing
start of wot to build boost afrs around 12.5-12.0 and once you have full boost you should taper from 11.5-11.1 at high rpms
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Never hurts to start your own thread . Only thing we ask is before asking a question that has been asked 50 bazillion times before please read through our build thread and other threads that relate to what you are doing. You will find, especially in the beginning that most if not all of your questions will have already been asked and resolved in another thread.

It's always good to start small, I started at 5 psi and tuned then went up from there. The margin of error gets smaller and smaller the higher psi you go so I would stay at 5 psi until you have a good solid tune, your window of error is bigger there so you can make some mistakes and not worry too much about blowing your engine.

Load is just a loggable parameter that helps you to determine where the change needs to be made in your rom. Knock count, air fuel ratio are what you want to keep in check, that is what everything in your rom is for, to keep them acceptable in a variety of engine conditions.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have read through both of your build threads (including steven) a few times so I will certainly do so prior to reasking the same question over and over.

The only two things I lack for parts are a oil sandwich adapter and a external wg(because Im doing a SD setup )Hes so will most likely order that today made by EMUSA with 4-10psia springs. Hopefully when I get off work I can find a used oil adapter. But I greatly appreciate the help (and in advance). Ill start my initial story/write up tonight after work!

Cant believe its actually happening

Extremely excited!!!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have read through both of your build threads (including steven) a few times so I will certainly do so prior to reasking the same question over and over.

The only two things I lack for parts are a oil sandwich adapter and a external wg(because Im doing a SD setup )Hes so will most likely order that today made by EMUSA with 4-10psia springs. Hopefully when I get off work I can find a used oil adapter. But I greatly appreciate the help (and in advance). Ill start my initial story/write up tonight after work!

Cant believe its actually happening

Extremely excited!!!
Do you mean VTA Bov? Internal external wg doesnt matter for SD, you just have to option to get a vent to atmosphere blow off valve using sd
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Sir,

Thats exactly why Im running SD. Im using a external wg to eliminate the evo 8 internal wg by welding the flapper door shut, removing the actualtor and running a nipple off of the j-pipe to the external wg thus elminating the internal wg and having a wee bit of space behind the rad.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry i haven't been on the forum for a while because im not driving or working on my car during winter...but the engine is doing fine iv had no problems yet and iv had problems with me manifold leaking... but im planning on buying another lancer but this time a manual an do the turbo swap into it!