Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

wanna take out power steering and ac

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanna take out power steering and ac

hello never done this before didnt want to try it without asking other people if they have done it and if you guys can tell me how
thax
daniel
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
?????

Start removing them. They're bolted on to the car and spun by belt.

To be honest, I forget how the Lancer timing belt works. You might need to source a whole new belt. Check into that.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

if you want to take them both off you don't need a belt. just remove the power steering and lines, and the AC and lines. then take off the belt (actually you'd take the belt off first) then you can just run the alternator belt on the inside of the pulley and no belt on the outside. However, I would NEVER recommend running without power steering. The gains, if any, that your going to see from it aer not even close to the ****tiness of having to drive around without PS. AC I can understand why you might remove it but I would never touch the powersteering. You can do what you'd like though, just my .02
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
To be honest, I forget how the Lancer timing belt works. You might need to source a whole new belt. Check into that.
timing belt is independent of the drive system. it sits on the cam gear, water pump, crank shaft, and tensioner

so you plan on removing the AC pump; what about the core inside the car (along with the fans, motors, etc)?

mark
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:29 PM

timing belt is independent of the drive system. it sits on the cam gear, water pump, crank shaft, and tensioner

so you plan on removing the AC pump; what about the core inside the car (along with the fans, motors, etc)?

mark

i wanna remove everything the core,fans,motors im going to do this in the next week or so i just thought it was harder to do all the stuff
it sounds like u just remove the belt then start taking everything apart
daniel
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

dude are you trying to save weight if so this isnt going to be the best way why dont you try with something like your rear seats and spare tire/jack
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If your doing it for the power gain, let me tell you from experience that its really not worth it. MAYBE a 3 wheel horsepower gain.

If you are going to do it, just remove the belt, then if you change your mind you can easially re-install it again. I have a thread somewhere that includes some info on how to do it.

-Danno
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't say that it is worth it. I did it to my factory equipped 98 Neon ACR to "save weight" and "cut parasitic drag"...Worst mistake ever!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:57 AM

ive gutted the rear of my car ill take off the belt to see if i like it like that thanks for everybodys help
thax
daniel
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I did this to my 94 integra, and i noticed a pretty descent gain in hp and torque, if you are going for that you could just remove the belts first to make sure it makes a big change on your lancer. If you dont have low pros the steering will definetly make you grow some muscles.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

I drive a no power steering UPS truck and its all about technique. Getting the wheels in the right direction before you stop and back up and stuff like that. If you are trying to turn the wheels with the vehicle stopped all the time your arms will fall off for sure. Its not that bad and that thing weighs way more than a Lancer.