Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

synthetic motor oil!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do we have to do to convince you NeilScully? If it doesnt do anything, then explain why it is required in the EVO. Wasting money? I think not. Regular decent oil is what 1.50-1.99 per quart? Goes for 3000 miles. Synthetic is 4.00 a qt at Wal Mart, and it goes for a conservative figure of 6000 miles. Hmmm cost is very close to a push. Convienence? Conventional oil = twice as many oil changes. Winter? My god have you seen regular 5w-30 in below 0 weather? I takes a couple minutes to pour a quart of conventional in the cold, synthetic doesnt know the difference. I could go on forever.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Most all cars, except high performace cars, have a scheduled service interval of 5000-6000 miles. Regular motor oils will go well beyond 3000 miles. The owners manual will call for oil change at 3000 miles for severe use. It's a matter of opinion on what to run. I ran Castrol GTX in my old truck with a hi-po 350 in it. Changed every 3000 miles because it was hard to stay out of the gas. I change the oil in my OZ every 3000 because of stop and go traffic around the DC area and I like to hammer down once in a while. The EVO requires the synthetic in part due to the turbo. It's a drivers choice, as long as ya change it at scheduled intervals.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need to convince me - the Evo requires it because it's a much higher performance engine where the more expensive oil will be far more necessary. I didn't say that synthetic isn't better. It's just not going to make a difference in a typical car.

And typically, regular oil can easily be used past 3 months or 3000 miles, but that's not such a good idea if you drive it hard. Personally, if I had an Evo, the most I'd let it go is maybe 4000 miles. Just because they say 6k doesn't mean I'd believe them. Synthetic gets dirty just as easily as oil and so does the oil filter. If you disagree with that, then perhaps you only replace the oil filter every other oil change when using normal oil?
-N
Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:33 PM

Mobil 1 Synthetic kept my MR2 Turbo Motor reliable and clean for 157,000 miles before I sold the car. And is still running with the same motor until today. That is enough to keep on it.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Black_Evo_VIII
Mobil 1 Synthetic kept my MR2 Turbo Motor reliable and clean for 157,000 miles before I sold the car. And is still running with the same motor until today. That is enough to keep on it.
Normal oil has kept my '91 Mazda 626 running smooth up to the 184k on it now. I'm selling it soon and expect it to continue to be reliable. Now which is a more comparable engine to the Lancer ES? My Mazda's inline 4 cyl or the trubocharged engine in your MR2?

I'm just trying to make a point that while synthetic is better oil, it's overkill for typical sedans.
-N
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by neilscully

Normal oil has kept my '91 Mazda 626 running smooth up to the 184k on it now. I'm selling it soon and expect it to continue to be reliable. Now which is a more comparable engine to the Lancer ES? My Mazda's inline 4 cyl or the trubocharged engine in your MR2?

I'm just trying to make a point that while synthetic is better oil, it's overkill for typical sedans.
-N
Neil,

Tap this into your Visor.

My 1992 Galant VR-4 AWD turbo has used Mobil 1 since I got it at 1,600 miles. It now has 175k. My other Mitsubishi, a Diamante, also a 1992 has 177k and I have used Mobil 1 since the first oil change.

While it has been more expensive for oil changes I believe it is worth it. At the last timing belt change my mechanic (works at a Mitsu dealer) said the engine looks new inside and he has seen many.

Neil the last time I visited Worcester I saw a CBA game at the Civic Center (1986).

Are you planning to visit the dealer on July 5th? I look forward to it.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Alright... My votes with normal oil and others disagree - not worth continuing any further. I only meant to demonstrate that the life of a car can be quite long without synthetic too (and I beat the hell out of my Mazda). If pick_a_fro wants to spend the money, it won't hurt, but he should know that synthetic may not be necessary.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I don't know what CBA stands for, don't know that we have any place called the Civic Center (the Centrum perhaps) and yes, I should be at the 7/5 meet. If I'm lucky I'll get myself a present or two for my birthday 7/2 and be able to show off something interesting at the meet.
-N
Old Apr 20, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

From what I've heard synthetic oil sticks to your engine parts while the engine is off instead of draining it all into the pan. That way when you go to start it again, it causes much less wear do to the fact that the oil is already where it needs to be, instead of taking the time to splash up from the pan.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Mobil 1 here. A FULL synthetic oil withstand heat much better ( it doesnt break down and cook at high temps) it also stays thinner in very cold temps making cold starts in the winter much easier, and it is alot more effective against wear. you can run any mix of synthetic and conventional oil (I dont know why you would want to, you would defeat the whole purpose) and you can switch back and forth without any worries ( some myths include once you use synthetic you have to use it forever-not true. and it will make your car leak oil- also not true). You still change your oil at regular intervals when you use synthetic oil, not because the oil is breaking down but because it still picks up contaminants from blowby and fuel such as corrosive chemicals and soot/carbon and raw fuel its self thins the oil. Mobil ! sez to stick to your normal intervals however I am sure extending it just a little is ok considering Mercedes is running 10,000 - 14,000 miles between oil changes on their flexible service system cars useing Mobil 1!!! I in no way recomend going that long in our cars but instead of every 3k maybe every 4 or 5 thousand miles
Just a note MB tried useing conventional oil in early FSS cars that went that long and the engines soon developed oil consumption issues due to sticking piston rings. since MB switched to mobil 1 there have been very very few oil consumption issues. and in fact if you use any oil other than Mobil 1 in these cars now they will not cover any oil consumption issues under warrenty
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:37 AM

Andenbre, you took the words right out of my mouth, as a figure of speech. FYI I use Castrol Syntec-- no complaints here.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[i]
Not to stray too far off topic, but I don't know what CBA stands for, don't know that we have any place called the Civic Center (the Centrum perhaps) and yes, I should be at the 7/5 meet. If I'm lucky I'll get myself a present or two for my birthday 7/2 and be able to show off something interesting at the meet.
-N [/B]
Neil,

CBA = Continental Basketball Association. The Civic Center is/was in the center of town it seemed and may be now known as the Centrum. The building was quite old when I was there. I also remember a faith healer there just before I left. This place could have concerts and such.

I look forward to seeing you in July and anything new for your birthday you may have to show us. Perhaps a new handheld that can wirelessly redeploy satellites or something equally advanced.

Flybyevo
Old Apr 26, 2003, 08:25 AM
Rlo

I use Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter on my Cavalier for years. when the time time comes for the O-Z she will get it too.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I've heard great things about Royal Purple (though expensive for a syn) I went with mobil one after my first 4K miles and have stuck with it. I did notice a difference in engine sound (no pychological effect here) and the Engine temp is slightly (only a tiny bit) lower then what it used to run at.

I'm very happy with my Modil 1. I change it every 5K miles rather then ever 3K.

Good stuff!
Old Apr 26, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think synthetic is over kill for Lancer's stock 2.0 litre 120HP powerplant, but if you don't mind the extra bucks, go for it. It's kind of like gas, there's regular and premium gas, regular commuters calls for regular gas, but many put in premium thinking it helps the engine run cleaner. The fact is, premium gas doesn't do any extra good unless the engine is knocking for some reason. And the fact is, synthetic oil doesn't do any extra good if you do regular maintence on your Lancer. But if it makes you feel more secured, then go ahead, spend the extra bucks and feel safe.