Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Pics: RPW twin throttlebody setup

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread - only found it today.

Yes for those wanting to know, you could feed the 2nd throttle body air feed into a single line and into the MAF unit, but in reality why? It would pretty much negate the 85% of the effect of the twin tb system. It woudl get more air but ultimatly, no more than say instead fitting a larger single diamater throttle body. For the 2.0 guys you woudl get more gains from modifying a 4G93 manifold and a single 60mm throttle body.

THe idea of the twin is to not just have two throttle bodies, but the ability for each throttle body to be able ot pull in an unrestricted air volume into the manifold, without being shared.

The photo and vheicle you are referring to, has ducted air feeds through the top of the bonnet hence the reason for pulling air from the foam filters. We used foam filters instead of cone units simply becauise they were small, high air flow and very dirt resistant and little on space. WIth the ducted air feeds directly on top of each filter, they are sucking cold air all the time.

The vehicle in question, is running of course the RPW 4-1 Race design system - for full information on that particular vehicle check the following link

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...d=27&Itemid=40

And for those who were asking, no you must on the mAF model vehicles use an aftermarket full ECU, but with these units being full plug and play models with pre programmed, they take literally 15 minutes to have the car up and running from scratch.

But to do a twin TB, I can garauntee you will absoloutly need larger injectors for certain, and a SAFC unit will not do the job. Having tuned these many times, they massive air increase at low throttle positions massivly exceeds the factory ECU capabilites mapping points, and will result in a very badly tuned vehicle with low driveability.

I have done the twin tb's on the 1.5 Mirage / lancer vehicles with the emanage but they run MAP sensor to start with, and with larger injectors again, we work that very nicely but it is more flexible to start with.

The main cost in these is not in the manifold, but in the computer and injector system. But again, with the plug and play haltech systems going for around $900.00 US$ for a fully programmable ECU system, that is exteremly good value for money option espeically when you look at all the options you get from a Haltech E6X model.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, im going to have to go ahead and somewhat disagree, where the true gains from this setup is by equalizing the air distribution in each cylinder. Stock, cylinder 1 is really lean, and cylinder 2 is really rich. Just by adding a second throttle body you absolutely take care of this problem, By using 2.5" mandrel bends to connect the air ways you can reduce the ill affects greatly of using the mas. I know, I have also installed many like this. Yes, I agree with you, you need an advanced fuel system, I.e. Larger injectors, which Is why my kits come with them, and it is also suggested to use a fpr and safc to tune out the flat spots where fuel is needed, but your no where close to maxing out the stock mas. Even if you do come close, you could always upgrade the stock mas to an eclipse 609 for 1.8 models, and montero mas from 00+ vehicles.
Best regards,
Phillip Rench
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

This is a very informative thread and I look forward to reading more. This is fascinating and it's always good to see other companies tell us about their product. He isn't advertising, he's informing. Prench, can you give a sample of what kind of gains your customers have made on an independent test (so you aren't liable if gains vary on another car)?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Deleted some conversation on prench. I deleted the link in his sig for a reason. So I don't need the members helping him break the advertising rules...

I might've overdone, so I'm sorry if so. I just deleted everything that pertained to the products.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor

its no different than linking to an ebay auction.
if i find an interesting product why can't I share it with people. I can see where it would be wrong for him to do it as it's HIS product, but not for me.

or i may be wrong as im not a mod and don't understand those type of rules. It just seems strange. what if i started a new thread with the link?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sitting here thinking about it, I guess it's OK if you talk about it. It's just that he was here in this thread talking about products he sells (with no vendor license). So when you then start also talking about it, it kind of muddies the waters a bit.

Yes, if you start a thread on it, that's great. But I can't let him come into it and start advertising unless he follows the rules.

Sound fair to all?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

I understand Blacksheepdj's decision, good judgement...if you need the link, just pm me.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Blacksheep I'm not trying to go against you but where exactly is the line drawn between people talking about a product and it being advertisement? Surely car and driver can state that they like a Ford GT but they aren't getting paid by Ford to advertise the product, they are doing indepent testing. If we were to talk about the product and have an informative discussion on it, at what point does it cross the line? Many board members give great credit to Greddy Turbo's for their reliability, as well as Mitsubishi manufactured turbos, but to my knowledge Greddy Corporate and Mitsubishi Headquarters don't pay vendor fees on this site, when people highly recommend them and come very close to advertising their products based upon personal experience.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:34 AM
Former Vendor

sounds good. thats what i assumed.

thanks for clarifying mate
Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:37 AM
Former Vendor

advertisement is trying to sell your own product or being paid to sell a product for someone else.

Im pretty sure this is the case, if prench is selling the product, he can't "advertise" it. But if someone else who wasn't going to make a profit from the item, were to find it and link to it, saying "hey look what i found" then that would be fine.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well to add to the off topic still, prench did come in and say he sells the twin TBs also and makes them himself and they retain the maf sensor, which is basically pointing out reasons to get his over the rpw one. I think blacksheep made a good decision. You can make a new thread to discuss A2 parts.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by N1te
Blacksheep I'm not trying to go against you but where exactly is the line drawn between people talking about a product and it being advertisement? Surely car and driver can state that they like a Ford GT but they aren't getting paid by Ford to advertise the product, they are doing indepent testing. If we were to talk about the product and have an informative discussion on it, at what point does it cross the line? Many board members give great credit to Greddy Turbo's for their reliability, as well as Mitsubishi manufactured turbos, but to my knowledge Greddy Corporate and Mitsubishi Headquarters don't pay vendor fees on this site, when people highly recommend them and come very close to advertising their products based upon personal experience.
Here's the problem in this situation - prench came on and started advertising his parts/company. He doesn't have a vendor license. Immediately after, everyone began talking about ^ parts. So when I was deleting, I just deleted the whole conversation. Another part of it is that he came into a thread about RPW parts advertising his own parts. VERY rude move.

Basically, if one of you starts a thread that says something like "hey, look at this part" and he stays out of it, that'd be fine. But I'm not going to let him break the rules.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

^ that makes sense.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Here's the problem in this situation - prench came on and started advertising his parts/company. He doesn't have a vendor license. Immediately after, everyone began talking about ^ parts. So when I was deleting, I just deleted the whole conversation. Another part of it is that he came into a thread about RPW parts advertising his own parts. VERY rude move.

Basically, if one of you starts a thread that says something like "hey, look at this part" and he stays out of it, that'd be fine. But I'm not going to let him break the rules.
Thanks for clarifying blacksheep. Like I said I wasn't trying to badger you, I just wanted to know the difference.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Don't worry Frank, we can all point fingers and laugh at blacksheepdj...he is subaru.

I kid I kid don't ban, I'm a valuable member of the community.

To be honest, I was curious why this thread was titled RPW twin throttlebody setup. But I'm just glad prench and Mitsiman could give us some more information about this product.

Is there really any type of info anywhere about Twin throttle body setup? NO. We need reviews, opinions, suggestions, and anything else from Mitsiman and Prench...no fighting no arguing just general info.

Quick Reply: Pics: RPW twin throttlebody setup