Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Short ram or full cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Short ram or full cold air intake?

Which is the better option if you have an evo style hood installed with the intake vent on it? The Short ram style keeps the intake filter right below the hood vent, while the cold air intake style puts the filter down directly behind the front bumper, but with more tubing for the air to travel through. Which will yield better results? (assuming you have the same filter type installed on both)
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

They'd probably very similiar... But what I always worried about is the water getting in the engine compartment through the vents. I guess a bypass valve could be rigged for even a sri...
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I had a friend who drove a civic. We installed one of those cold front intakes and he removed the lexan cover from it for better flow. he never ingested water in his engine and it didnt have a bypass valve or anything. i know you dont drive a civic, but i found it strange that he didnt destroy his car. there was the other thread on here about the car that ingested water through the CAI. . . personally i think stiicking with a SRI is better. if you have a vented hood, then that makes the SRI just as effective as the CAI, only with better transient throttle response due to the shorter length of the piping. . just my 2 cents
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The vent on the evo style hood isn't over the intake, it's over the engine itself. It does seems to let the heat get out though, drive on a cold night and you can actually see the heat rising out of the hole.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The vent on the evo style hood isn't over the intake, it's over the engine itself. It does seems to let the heat get out though, drive on a cold night and you can actually see the heat rising out of the hole.
so with the placement of the vent, water getting up on it shouldnt really be a problem then eh? i wouldnt think it should be a problem. the problem with CAIs and water seems to be from hitting puddles. am i correct?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think it'd be a problem, but instead the water would get on your electricals. When it rains I just put the rainguard in.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I don't think it'd be a problem, but instead the water would get on your electricals. When it rains I just put the rainguard in.
screw electricals. . . . isnt there some way to waterproof or at least protect them.. seems like too much trouble to go install a guard when you wake up 30 minutes late for work and go.. "oh noes, its a severe thunderstorm warning. . ."

there HAS to be a better way
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could always fabricate some covers for electrical stuff inside the engine bay.
like i made a heat shield out of metal, im sure you could do the same to make a cover.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Foxphyre
personally i think stiicking with a SRI is better. if you have a vented hood, then that makes the SRI just as effective as the CAI, only with better transient throttle response due to the shorter length of the piping. . just my 2 cents
Thats what I figured. Short ram it is.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

NSC makes a cover for the electricals, I might pick it up one day.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Electricals are pretty much waterproof stock. They won't fry until you start uncovering the ecu box and such.... And water in you're engine is not going to kill it either...If it's vaporized the water will cool your engine even more...

If the SRI is completely submerged, then your ****ed... But by that point I would be more worried about other things...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dem_z
If the SRI is completely submerged, then your ****ed... But by that point I would be more worried about other things...

lol
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

you do lose throttle response with the longer tube of a cai. effects heel toe and rev matching. ikinda had to re adjust after the mod.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

<------you see my avatar, my filter is just right behind the foglight. I live in seattle, been driving in the rain for over a year without a bypass. No problem here. Just avoid big puddles
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:35 AM

neither go open TB