Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

quad throttle + forced induction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
This is the kind of project where unless you have done it before, don't attempt it. This isn't welding a muffler on or making some seat brackets, crew up and your engine is dead.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so everyone knows, in the March 2007 issue of Sport Compact Car, there is a 240SX with a swapped SR20DET that has individual throttle bodies AND runs a Mitsu turbo. Apparently, it has been done and it seems to work fairly well for that guy. Turbos make horsepower, but they lag. ITBs have insane response, but not a lot of horsepower usually. When you think of it like that (and tuning matters aside cause nobody really cares), I can't think of a better kick in the *** then loads of power all the way across the rev band.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
This is the kind of project where unless you have done it before, don't attempt it. This isn't welding a muffler on or making some seat brackets, crew up and your engine is dead.
im not sure you understand the determination of an individual such as myself. ive dealt with dropped valves before. albeit in a smallblock 350. but i know the consequences and repercussions of a screw up with forced induction. thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just saying there's better things to do with the money like reinforcing the engine so you can run higher boost levels.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm just saying there's better things to do with the money like reinforcing the engine so you can run higher boost levels.
Exactly.

Why have ITB's when you are forcing the air in anyways? Its going to go in there....just build up your bottom end and crank up the boost a little.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:48 AM

with the the quads though, you would have even quicker response. i watched at supra wail on a skyline, simply because they focused on engine response. i mean having 800 horses that takes 15 seconds to come into and having 700 horses that takes 7 seconds to come into its powerband. big power isnt everything.

Last edited by grapeapeoftokyo; Feb 27, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you planning on racing your car?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:56 AM

probably not. but im not the only one who could benefit from this discussion. and if i were to have that sort of response for the street it would be nice as well.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the problem, quads are not meant for the street, even the company that makes them agrees on this point. Turning up the boost won't affect throttle response since you're not modifying anything mechanical, you're just allowing the turbo to hit a higher PSI.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

The only problem driving on the street with quads is traffic, when you tap the gas, it goes. Say good bye to smooth takeoffs from stop signs or traffic. That also puts your gas mileage down the drain. But it's you car.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

If this thread is for mere discussion, it's not doing much. If this thread is because you are interested in actually getting quad throttle bodies from RPW or making your own, I say go for. What do we get from saying no? He saves some MPGs and remains another plain old lancer. If we say go for it? We possibly get results from a lancer with quad throttle bodies, we might actually get to see what the pros and cons of it are. This is completely different from trying to prevent a member from putting those orange racing stripes on their car or a huge aluminum wing. I say go for it.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

What do we get from saying yes? If he goes for this, he's going to be in for a world of hurt, that isn't a possibliity, that's an inevitability. No one who pioneers something like this does it cleanly in one go, they always run into problems. First he has to get a turbo, then he has to either get a quad throttle body unit from RPW or make his own (one hell of an undertaking), then he has to magically get them to work together. If it's going to take 6 months of tuning, he better have a deep wallet. I just want another 50 threads like this of newbies saying their going to do it only to get another 50 threads of people b!tching and moaning about the problems they're having. If he wants to be a pioneer, great, but if he simply wants a fast lancer, there are better options that are safer and better understood.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well he already has this thread, and if he wants to spend all that money and take all that time to try this, it doesn't hurt us any. These threads will show up whether someone does it or not. People are still asking questions about supercharging the lancer and about safe boost levels in a lancer. Might as well let someone do some of the stuff. I'm just saying that no matter what people do, there will always be a million more threads asking if its possible and how it would turn out. Wouldn't it be better to have a threads to point out showing the results rather than point out 8 or 9 threads just discussing it?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

True but I think the thread should still be filled with criticism (constructive of course, not bashing) and pointers just so we don't have people take this kind of thing lightly.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smalltown
Just so everyone knows, in the March 2007 issue of Sport Compact Car, there is a 240SX with a swapped SR20DET that has individual throttle bodies AND runs a Mitsu turbo. Apparently, it has been done and it seems to work fairly well for that guy. Turbos make horsepower, but they lag. ITBs have insane response, but not a lot of horsepower usually. When you think of it like that (and tuning matters aside cause nobody really cares), I can't think of a better kick in the *** then loads of power all the way across the rev band.
1 person from a mag vs how many thought and tried it to failure . . . they don't exactly come out of the woodworks, stating "How my project failed?". They simply disappeared into the night w/ a burnt wallet, broken heart, and destroyed dreams.

Just like DSM'ers w/ the JDM Cyclone IM . . . how many DSM'ers that you know made it work w/o JDM ecu? If so, it has to be first hand experience, not my brother's cousin's mother's sister's friend's, etc.