Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

quad throttle + forced induction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quad throttle + forced induction

i know most N/A guys go quad. so i was wondering has anyone heard of somebody going forced induction on a quad throttle body setup. i know compression would have to be around stock and tuning would be a motha but i think responses would be pretty amazing. and all supporting mods (ie anything to do with the putting the power down) i was wondering if the RPW quad setup would hold up under pressure? what do you guys think?

Last edited by grapeapeoftokyo; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you should search.

i looked into this a while back. From what i read quad throttle body woud not work for daily driving. Also it would be retarded to run quad tb + turbo. It would accomplish nothing and just make a difficult tune.

i may be wrong. But thats what i've read from old threads about this stuff
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
^Cryto hit it right on the head, you either go one or the other, not both.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor

i think someone estimated getting around 180hp w/supporting mods using just a Quad TB. For n/a thats pretty good. But like i said, daily driving would be out of the quesiton.

but if you are after big power, then skip that and go with turbo
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crypto
i think you should search.

i looked into this a while back. From what i read quad throttle body woud not work for daily driving. Also it would be retarded to run quad tb + turbo. It would accomplish nothing and just make a difficult tune.

i may be wrong. But thats what i've read from old threads about this stuff
accomplish nothing? ok no, illogical yes.

you could make tons of power, more air, more power.

but think about it. tuning this? my god.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I think the problem is how do we know that a quad throttle body will make more power on a turbo application? Don't forget about intercooler piping and such, are you going to have four different intercoolers? On a turbo application you're better off going with one big throttlebody that four smaller ones. NA you can't do this without losing throttle response hence why individual throttlebodies are used.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

you would have to create a pressurized box aroung the inlets to the intake mani. its the only method that makes sense. seperatly are u saying that with a larger thrttlbody there is a reduction in throttle response while na?

Last edited by kungfugirl; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor

search. i did a quick search and found like 6 threads

that is the exact setup RPW have. they got an airbox stuck on top of the tb's with a filter attached.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:43 PM

i havent seen anything in past posts particularly about this. on top of that i know several people running independent throttle bodies on their daily drivers it all depends on how much you want to commit to tuning. but just saying you have to one of the other doesnt help at all. people who try new stuff are the ones who make the most gains for the good of the community, it might blow up on you or you might find another extremely good setup. saying one or the other is just the easy way out. thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

There are plenty of threads on this exact subject you just didn't search properly. Saying "one or the other" is the realistic answer since, as I said, you'd be better off using one big TB if you're turbo. If this was a good idea you'd think racing teams like HKS would be doing it.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think the problem is how do we know that a quad throttle body will make more power on a turbo application? Don't forget about intercooler piping and such, are you going to have four different intercoolers? On a turbo application you're better off going with one big throttlebody that four smaller ones. NA you can't do this without losing throttle response hence why individual throttlebodies are used.
it would definately make more power. with four throttle bodies you have more surface area than a single throttle body could have on our manifolds. plus with a single large throttle body you lose air velocity. so say if you kept up the air velocity by using the quad setup would not the system then become more efficient??
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor

ok here ya go. i took out the hard work of searching for ya

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=quad+turbo
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...aru+hood+scoop

start reading
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

not necessarily since each throttle body is smaller than stock which logically affects flow and pressure. With turbo pressure velocity isn't a factor so a big TB is better. As I said, if more TBs made power racing teams would be all over it, they have both the money and the incentive to do things like this (hell they spend thousands to save a few ounces of weight).
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:05 PM

"racing teams" dont come up with everything that hits the streets though a vast majority does just out of necessity. but has anyone ever even tried this? though innovation usually comes from the competition that racing provides there is also a certain limitation that the same competition provides. to try something radical could put you at the back of the field if you cant make it work well enough.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Racing teams are where people look to see what works and what doesn't. Competition fuels variation and ingenuity, and as I said twice now, if quad throttle bodies made power and all that jazz don't you think racing teams would do it? Do some more research on quad TBs and you'll see why we're all saying it's a bad idea in conjunction with a turbo.