Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Important info for all 2008 Lancer owners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important info for all 2008 Lancer owners

Check this tech videos posted by Manybrews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNtFu9kbEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4zdcD0G-Y
They are very informative.

Last edited by ralliartpr; Apr 14, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thnx for the vid .
Old Apr 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice link The CVT didnt help me but The 4B11 video was frickn sweet
1 block has steel sleeves around cylinder
2 mivec advances intake AND exhaust on 4b11
3 ECM controls mivec function with oil presure
Dam i love mitsu
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes that was really informative when he talked about the technical info of the 4B11. Gives us a prelude of what the Evo X is packing. I still had some kind of confusion on the CVT tho.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

plastic valve cover?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't like the end of the CVT video. Basically, if there's a problem with the CVT, you need a new one. You'd better hope you're still in warranty. Also, with the fluid warning, never let anyone other than yourself or the dealer change that fluid.

The 4B11 video was great, though. They really make that timing chain replacement easy. Even if you don't have everything lined up, the painted links pretty much make it idiot proof. Answered a curiousity I had, as well, about MIVEC. I wasn't sure if this engine did valve lift adjustment like the 4G69 does. Any idea where non-Mitsu techs can get ahold of these videos?

As for the plastic valve cover, why not? Valve covers don't have to withstand any sort of weight or load. They just have to stay sealed and not melt. No reason why a plastic one can't do that. You can always paint it.

Last edited by otter; Apr 15, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

^ I haven't watched the tranny video yet. I'm actually considering the Auto cause i'm not gonna be using it for messing around or racing, just standard everyday driving. Now after hearing about this, it makes me wonder. Now, doesn't Mitsu have a 10/100 POWERTRAIN warrenty? Doesn't that cover the transmission, etc? I've never understood what the Powertrain covers.

EDIT: I found this on GM's website, i don't know if it applies to Mitsu. I'm guessing powertrain covers transmission for 10y/100k miles.

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY
General Motors/Saab will warrant each 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine
Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case
Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems
Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

Last edited by sne2040; Apr 15, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A whole new transaxle if something went wrong...
Old May 1, 2007, 10:51 AM

CVT vid

I can't watch the video here at work but I will tonight. I'd like to see what it has to say about the CVT since that's what I'm thinking of buying.

According to everything I've been able to find out, CVT's are supposed to require less maintenance and be less prone to failure. That includes both on the internet and discussions with my parents on their Ford Freestyle which also comes equipped with a CVT.

Based on how they are designed, it also makes sense that if they do fail it would require the whole transmission to be replaced. Yeah, that would definitely suck - but as has been pointed out, the powertrain does have the best warranty in the automotive business so to me that says that Mitsubishi does have some faith in the ability of the CVT to hold up well - from the press they're reporting that Mitsubishi expects 85% of the new Lancers to be with the CVT. A CVT may be new to the Lancer but it's not a new option for cars - they've been around for a while actually, just haven't gained much acceptance in the U.S. because they lack the gear shifts which we Americans have come to expect.

Someone else commented elsewhere in these forums on the CVT that it does shift, that's not correct. It only shifts when you're in manual mode, otherwise it doesn't - or at least, it didn't when I did my testdrive with the GTS. From 0-80, getting onto the interstate, one smooth powerband with no shifting. Even though I knew better I caught myself anticipating the shift. But it never came. When I turned it to manual mode, then yes, it did shift and you could hold it to rev the RPM higher. For backcountry roads or more 'spirited' driving, it's a fun option - but for everyday mode I doubt I'll use it that much.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Good vids. CVT doesn't matter much to me but yeah the 4B11 was a good watch.

And for the plastic valve covers - been done for years. The L36 3800 GM V6 has had plastic valve covers and plastic UIMs for quite some time with no problems on the valve covers.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:34 PM

thanks for tha video.. i learned alot thanks again
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by sne2040
^ I haven't watched the tranny video yet. I'm actually considering the Auto cause i'm not gonna be using it for messing around or racing, just standard everyday driving. Now after hearing about this, it makes me wonder. Now, doesn't Mitsu have a 10/100 POWERTRAIN warrenty? Doesn't that cover the transmission, etc? I've never understood what the Powertrain covers.

EDIT: I found this on GM's website, i don't know if it applies to Mitsu. I'm guessing powertrain covers transmission for 10y/100k miles.

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY
General Motors/Saab will warrant each 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine
Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case
Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems
Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

All powertrain warranties are different by manufacturer. Mitsu does have a powertrain warranty of 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty applies to any car that was purchased new and was purchased after June of 2004.