Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Stage 3 cam

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yes there are downsides. As I said before, if RPW tells you not to get it, there's a reason. Straight from their website,
(B) RPW Stage 3 Camshaft Profiles

1. The stage 3 profile is designed to be bolted on to a fairly modified vehicle.
2. The camshaft lift and duration are increased over standard for a rough idle and aggressive acceleration.
3. The camshaft is designed to improve more upper mid range and top end power, with a loss of low rpm torque.
4. These camshafts can also be designed as a Supercharger / Turbo / Nitrous stage 3 camshaft profile where these items are added onto a Naturally Aspirated vehicle where larger than 14psi boost levels are being used.
5. Valve springs are required.
6. Vernier cam gear is necessary for specific tuning of camshaft at Top Dead Centre.
7. Vehicle will require significant ECU modifications for fuelling and ignition.
8. Piston to valve should not be a problem if the camshaft is truly centred without too much advance or retard on camshaft timing.
9. Increased compression to 10.0 : 1 recommended for this size camshafts
10. We do not recommend any street vehicle running larger than this profile.
11. Vehicles running SOHC Mivec Ie Ralliart LAncer only run a mild change to the primary lobes, and a more radical secondary lobe change.
Short answer, don't do it. Unless you plan on uping the compression, getting a fully done head, valve springs, cam gear, ECU, etc. you'll just end up with a useless cam that hinders your performance.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW I won't hit 14s. OK

I'll hit low 14s. I guess I will have to proove it to you. I'm racing at Englishtown, one of the better tracks.

My parts list:

sri with k&n
obx headers
2.25 straight pipe (soon to be 2.5 with cutout)
P&P 4g93 IM
P&P 4g93 head
272 Crower Cam
A2 Design stiff valve springs
11.0:1 ROSS Pistons
Cam gear
RRM Pulley
Fidanza Flywheel
Phantom Grip
FPR
Bored-out fuel rail
275cc injectors
S-AFC II
RRM Engine Mounts
Turbo Eclipse Ecu
Maybe I'm missing some stuff, suspension, and my new 16s wheels.
Old May 11, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Which I intend to do. I don't mind spending the money on it. There are some good machine shops around here that I checked with today that can do a lot of that. At a decent price. The only problem I'm seeing is the compression ratio. Now say I wanted to turbo my car. Ok I want to turbo my car. Isn't it not good to have the higher compression ratios or how does that work? Just everything I've read says higher is bad.
Old May 11, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, usually bad. For turbos.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

OK, what do you not understand about this? RPW, the maker of the cam, does not suggest using it on a street car. Now then, why would a company, which is based purely on the idea of making money like every company, say not to buy its product? Maybe you should call RPW or PM the respresentative on here to get the answer from them. I think it's a bad idea. If you want a cam, get stage 2 at most.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

well mirage tuners are really into actually trying shiz instead of being chicken crap like us and only getting what our companies tell us too, not an insult just the honest truth. miragers are not as a afraid to blow their **** to get results.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Especially in Peurto Rico. I tend to think the manufacturer is the best person to listen to in matters like this. If they say the idle will be rough, it'll be rough.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

no way u hit 14s, not even close i dont think.

Last edited by kungfugirl; May 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

What you don't understand. I ran 15.4 with minor set-up. I'm done arguing with you. I will have to show you a proof soon.

I don't know 1 guy from US that blew his engine. Head gaskets, yes bc of the higher boost.
Old May 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

So what is the big debate about the stage 3 cam?

I was privileged back in my clueless days to see a Mirage running with a Stage 3 cam. It was the guy who taught me 95% of what I know abotu cars and he had the RPW quad-TB setup.

Yes, the cam makes you idle like a V8 on crack, yes he was running full standalone, yes he had a semi built head ..... what is the debate about here though? I can try to answer questions based on that setup. Seems like there are three different discussions going on in here at once ...
Old May 13, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Well the debate that I originally started and seems to be pissing people off is about the downsides to a stage 3 cam. Now you talk about the idle. Its not gonna kill my car is it? And what about gas mileage?
Old May 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well the debate that I originally started and seems to be pissing people off is about the downsides to a stage 3 cam. Now you talk about the idle. Its not gonna kill my car is it? And what about gas mileage?
Old May 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Of course it won't kill your car but as KillahB said it will idle rough. By his description it sounds like it would idle too rough for most people and certainly not something you'd want to deal with everyday of the week. Fuel economy would obviously drop significantly as you'd be taking in a lot more air. As I said before, contact RPW and ask them about it.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

So what about a stage 2 then? Cause I really don't want to raise compression or anything of the sort. What about the idle on that? I dont mind a rough idle, but the more we talk about the stage three, the more I dont want it.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

What other mods do you have done to your car?

Quick Reply: Stage 3 cam