Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

2.0 L 152 HP ...good enough?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just saying no need to tell all these guys that the car wont be fast just because its fwd, you never know what this car can turn out to be its just the first couple weeks, regardless or not if its faster than other cars its still a really fun car to drive lol
Old May 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ lolololololololololol f.u.n.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

The SRT4 powerplant is NOT that heavily modified. And if what is being said by Mitsu is correct, the 2.0 and 2.4 engines will be internally the same across the platform and models except for the 2.4Turbo EvoX which will have some changes they haven't chosen to mention yet. If that's the case and the rumors of either a turbo GST or a true Raliart are to be believed, this engine is already built out for turboing and more HP. That holds true too in that the 2.0 here costs more off the line than the 2.4 dodge variant by several hundred dollars.

As for FWDs not being fast... try again. Coming from the 3800 Gen II and Gen III world of Grand Prixs and modded cars with those engines, they can be skeery fast. There are low 10's coming out of the heavy GP world on the GTPs with only a few grand in on the engine and drivetrain (that auto 4spd being the big problem in most cases, requiring work or even a swap out for a built up version).

Last edited by gnnr; May 18, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gnnr
Coming from the 3800 Gen II and Gen III world of Grand Prixs and modded cars with those engines, they can be skeery fast.
Awww hells yeah. I knew there was something I liked about you!

I still have my L36 Impala that's putting down about 260hp and 285 tq. Got the M90 sitting in my garage waiting, too....
Old May 18, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Auqa Metallic GTS and it's drives very well. Especially when you are moving up in speed. It handles real well in the high RPM's. And the car can be tuned up some more. I wouldn't tune this car that hard, tho. Just for the fact it's not to be tuned into some 300 hp whip. I would put it up to like 230 hp. Perhaps? Not sure though. But it can handle it. Mitsubishi is expecting tuner enthusiasts to go to the aftermarkets with this car. But if you are thinking of taking your car to the next level in hp, you might wanna wait for the Ralliart version. Which will start at 224 hp. AWD optional from what I am hearing.

Hope it helps
Old May 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I love the 3800 motor... it's a bit heavy, but the TQ to HP ratio is awesome, it takes mods easy (though lining your bore for high HP setups is a must, not that many do it). One of my project ideas is to lay my hands on a late 80s Fiero GT (the good looking one) and throw a 3800 gen III with SC in it, converted to RWD. With just a pulley and intake it should scream - and yes, I know there are a few folks doing this, but I wanna do it too!

I loved my 04 GP. It's not as sporty looking as the Lancer, the headroom sucked in comparison (my 5'10" head nearly touched the ceiling!), the rear seats sucked and barely had any more leg room, the ride was a bit soft, the brakes a bit whimpy. But it had looks, tons of trunk, great steering, tons of HP and TQ even in the GT normally aspirated version, and for it's size handled very well. It was easy to mod too, except for like the brakes and installing rear strut tower brace.

Man, I can't wait for some products to hit the market for this lancer.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Were you on ClubGP? I'm from NAIOA, the little-known Impala sideforum on ClubGP that broke off and created their own site.

The 3800 was by far the best V6 to come from GM, and one of the best ever produced. It kinda saddens me that it's on its way out, because they really showed just what a FWD vehicle could be capable of.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I was on there until Cgreen and the forum ****'s destroyed the place. I defected over to DBC for fun but generally ignored the place after they spit on the oldest and most knowledgeable members there.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

The EVO CANNOT be a 2.4 engine. We all know what the point of an EVO is... it's to perform in the WRC. The rules in the say the engine must be 2.0 - They will not make a 2.4 engine. The STI is 2.5 in the US but 2.0 everywhere else, as far as I know.
Old May 19, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

This is true BUT i read ann article where the WRC is thinking about changing the rules and if they do mitsu says the plan on using a 2.4. But this post isnt about that its about the 4b11 SO I have an RRM intake and exhuast and notice a huge improvment over stock. With a few more bolt ons i will probably get a dyno and maybe a tune then post them for the whole EVOM site to shut up some haters on performance from the new 4b11 RRM
Old May 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
It depends on you. I know for a fact that it wouldn't be enough HP for me. I'm driving a car with 165hp (stock) and working on a turbo kit.
I lied. I have a GTS now.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome congrats! How do you like it, moving from [what you had before I don't know]?
Old May 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, nobody wants to give the 4B11 engine any credit. Mitsu certainly thinks it's capable of holding power. Other than the turbo, I'm willing to bet the only internal difference between your 4B11 and the 4B11T would be forged pistons, rods, and different cam profiles. I keep seeing Evo guys bashing the engine, too, but the basic truth is nobody knows what this engine is capable of yet.

What would make me nevervous about putting power mods on your (OP's) GTS, though, is your CVT. That transmission is NOT serviceable. Something breaks in it, the whole thing has to be replaced. To me, that means Mitsu will look for ANY excuse to not cover it under warranty. I'd recommend the CVT guys be very cautious, and maybe stick to basic suspension and aesthetic mods for now, and hopefully in the near future we can get a better idea of what it can handle.

Last edited by otter; May 19, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Awesome congrats! How do you like it, moving from [what you had before I don't know]?
Car has 15 miles on it, so I don't really know.

So far, I'm loving it. Good power, the sportronic tranny is fun, car feels very smooth. It's a dream coming from a dying Subaru 2.5rs...
Old May 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome. Glad you're liking it!

As for the difference between 4B11 and 4B11T I'd also bet those forged pistons are going to drop the comp ratio a good bit from the 4B11s 10.0:1. That seems pretty high, and its one thing I aim to lower when I go turbo.

Quick Reply: 2.0 L 152 HP ...good enough?