Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

One guy's opinion on crank pulleys

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think it is as big a deal as everyone is making. I do think that you need to decide what you want your car for. RRM's pulley is definitely a quality product that will make your car better, but you need to understand that mitsu brought the car out to be as reliable, economical, and powerful as they could. They offer the warranty they do because of the engineering tolerances use. So if you want a daily driver that is safe, you better leave her stock and just change the appearance, if you want a race car, you better give RRM you credit card info now and let them ship you stuff as it comes out, and hand your warranty back to mitsu. If you want a mix (which is what I think most of us are doing) you need to think about each mod and what you are sacrificing and what you are gaining.

I think if you have the crank pulley on you will be fine, but I think that you will have more wear (but who knows how long, 1 million km?) on your journals and main bearing than someone who doesn't. But your engine wont explode in the next 200,000 because of it.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:19 PM

Wish I had known these things before I bought and installed the RRM pully though. Oh well, thats my fault for not doing the research. Looks like I'll be removing the pully soon. *shrugs* Lesson learned.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly do not feel like arguing. I am not worried about and I run it on my own engine. I think the problem is exaggerated. There are so many of them out with 10s of thousands of miles without issue or warranty issue. Speedtech has a view but not sure who they are.

ROAD/RACE
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sithlord9849
Wish I had known these things before I bought and installed the RRM pully though. Oh well, thats my fault for not doing the research. Looks like I'll be removing the pully soon. *shrugs* Lesson learned.
Sith there is always learning to be done, but yeah if you are worried about the warranty now the best thing to do is take it off, very smart . The chances of something actually happening are very small, but it just depends on whether someone is willing to take that small risk. Personally I think the possibility of voiding a 10 year warranty before getting a 10th of the way into it is risky
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
I dont think it is as big a deal as everyone is making. I do think that you need to decide what you want your car for. RRM's pulley is definitely a quality product that will make your car better, but you need to understand that mitsu brought the car out to be as reliable, economical, and powerful as they could. They offer the warranty they do because of the engineering tolerances use. So if you want a daily driver that is safe, you better leave her stock and just change the appearance, if you want a race car, you better give RRM you credit card info now and let them ship you stuff as it comes out, and hand your warranty back to mitsu. If you want a mix (which is what I think most of us are doing) you need to think about each mod and what you are sacrificing and what you are gaining.

I think if you have the crank pulley on you will be fine, but I think that you will have more wear (but who knows how long, 1 million km?) on your journals and main bearing than someone who doesn't. But your engine wont explode in the next 200,000 because of it.
That is good advice man

I doubt many people are going to be racing their Lancer, but if they want to risk the mods for daily driving hopefully it doesnt come back to bite them in the ***.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 08:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ROCK
I honestly do not feel like arguing. I am not worried about and I run it on my own engine. I think the problem is exaggerated. There are so many of them out with 10s of thousands of miles without issue or warranty issue. Speedtech has a view but not sure who they are.

ROAD/RACE
Which is perfectly fine. Everyone is welcome to have their own opinion. What one person likes, another person doesn't. Everyone should get the parts that they like.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, anyone who was looking at a supercharger kit, or cams or anything of that nature, this falls under that category. YES it could void your warranty and have adverse effects on your engine, but also it is an AFTERMARKET PART!

Dont worry

Last edited by the_cosworth; Aug 7, 2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have seen Acura's, Mitsu's, Honda's, Ford's, Chevy's all with light weight cranks pulleys or under drive pulley that have put 50 to 60 k on the motors with absolutely no adverse affect on the cars. And these all weren't brand new cars some where and some of them ended up with 100,000 miles plus on them and had a pulley on them for over half the motors life. If you are going to freak from what one company thinks then you are best not to buy any mods. Every single mod you drop on your car has some risk that goes with it and this one is getting completely blown out of proportion. Yes it is the motor, but you are talking about a pulley that was over 4lbs mass compared to one that is 1lbs now think about this, the dampener was on something that was 75% more rotating mass compared to the light weight one. Just do a little search on the forum and see how many people on this forum have purchase an RRM pulley and have had NO problems what so ever and have 70k plus miles on there cars.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 07:00 AM

I like the RRM pulley. Maybe we need an actual Mitsu tech to give their 2 cents, not to talk about warranty but acual effects on this new motor.I drive mine on the highway to work. I rev it out to 6000 rpm and it is smooth as can be. If it was a bad pulley you would know it. Anyways make your own choice. If they gave these damm cars a little more power we wouldn't have mod them.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This seems to come up a lot. The basic lowdown is that the stock dampened pulley really doesn't dampen anything. The engines use a balance shaft to reduce vibrations. Vibration through the crank shaft isn't an issue, either. Remember, the flywheel side of the engine doesn't have any sort of damping. I won't touch the underdrive issue, since that doesn't apply to you all.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
This seems to come up a lot. The basic lowdown is that the stock dampened pulley really doesn't dampen anything. The engines use a balance shaft to reduce vibrations. Vibration through the crank shaft isn't an issue, either. Remember, the flywheel side of the engine doesn't have any sort of damping. I won't touch the underdrive issue, since that doesn't apply to you all.
Wow...you really don't have a clue do you? EVERY engine need a dampener!!!!

As for the flywheel side...where the hell would you put a dampener??
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by otter
Please do not post uneducational rants...I have already posted on the differences between the balance shafts and the harmonic dampner. These forums should be a place for people ot learn something. Since people continue to post false misleading information I did a quick search and came up with this link....
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm

After reading several articles this one in my opinion is the easiest to understand for someone who does not have a backround in dynamics. If you still do not understand this please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to answer any questions.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:13 PM

On a further note...Please do not think that I am in anyway bashing the product that RRM has developed. I have never purchased or used a product developed by RRM. I simply wish to inform those people buying these products of all potential risks. The worst thing that can happen is blowing up your car and not getting it fixed b/c your warranty was voided. I see too many posts on here stating that these parts have to be proven to have caused the failure and so on and so forth. Anything that adds power to the engine or causes it to operate differently than stock can be proven to make your engine fail. For instance it has been proven time and time again that many high flow filters allow more dirt and dust to enter the engine and cause premature wear.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Great article, actually explains is really well in laymans terms. I hope all those "wanna-be" racers will think twice if they want their engine to last 100 000 miles+

RRM, you make good products but some people are just not wary enough of what they do to their car.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by CamShaft
RRM, you make good products but some people are just not wary enough of what they do to their car.
Don't be so harsh. It's not about being wary. It's a matter of choice. Adding performance lowers comfort/reliability. Doesn't matter if it's suspension or engine, etc. Everyone has that choice to make. Some chose to stay stock and milk the warranty. Others chose to create a more powerful Lancer. To each, his/her own.

Quick Reply: One guy's opinion on crank pulleys