Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!
View Poll Results: Dual Exhaust vs. Single
Single Pipe Aftermarket Muffler
40.57%
Dual Exhaust
55.66%
Stock is the best thing in the world!!!!
3.77%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

~~~ Project Dark Horse - 08 Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~~~ Project Dark Horse - 08 Dual Exhaust

I wanted to give an update to those who have been following my exhaust project amoung everything else. actually I am working on 3 exhaust projects exactly. Project Dark Horse seems to be close to completion of the R&D stages

~~What is Dark Horse?

It will be an muffler upgrade featuring a single canister transverse (dual tip) muffler for the rear. In terms of getting this project off the ground its taken many hours....... errrr many days to figure out mounting strategy and keep the platform easy to work with Stock exhaust pipe as well as an upgraded downpipe system.

In terms of warranty compliance, my home dealer Mitsubishi has given the tenative thumbs up and will be installed by a sister dealer, in the coming weeks or months.

~~Problems with Dark Horse

Pipe size. figuring out pipe size, it was wise to follow the current spec and keep the option open for what the new spec will be in the systems to come out down the road.
2.25"
2.75"
Only the dyno will tell us if here is any loss.

Still looking for afriendly dyno house in the Toronto area to assist in the testing. So i will give everything an update when I hit the dyno with the exhaust installed

~~ Rear Lip
As everyone knows, our back end is not cut for a dual exhaust setup, so a new rear bodykit is in order. Which could be expensive? or you could opt for a rear lip addon. Its in the works, but god knows when I get time to get that done.
So much projects very little time

Anyways keep you guys updated when i have more to report. Pics and all at the welder and Dealer when its installed
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
S.

Looks sweet.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Well the moment of truth will be to hear the exact tone and to know there is no TQ loss. by keeing the size small I dont think so but hey this is all theory at the moment.

making a few more trips out to my welder and we will figure everything out
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:43 AM

let see what R&D has to offer,hey dude where did u get the relocator for the licens plate?

is kind of funny how naked the back of the bumper looks at a distance!

Last edited by evo-monstar; Sep 16, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

+1000 i'm with you on this one bro
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo-monstar
let see what R&D has to offer,hey dude where did u get the relocator for the licens plate?

is kind of funny how naked the back of the bumper looks at a distance!
the back does look a bit naked, jappaswat did show me a rear body kit out for the lancer that fits the mold for a dual exhaust setup...
who knows, I am just working with the spare change in my pocket to keep this stuff going so I am not sure i can afford buying that
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta love the homemade projects. Lancerland needs more of this.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think you guys really need to worry about torque loss. As long as you leave the cat in, you should have all the backpressure you need.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Evosoul, there is another post in the general Lancer forum that has a bodykit for sale online. The rear end of it is dual exhaust setup.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:21 AM
Former Sponsor

i have a few sponsors here and there, welding, install bay stuff, a few parts. but I dont have any paints / body work. Lack the funding at this time. Idealy if i had a white car then i could get away with it for a while.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Good Job! We Need All Of The Independant Projects As Possible
Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Projects I got a ton, problems is only have 2 hands and a 24 hour day, half the time drunk so you can sense the handicap

Project Dark Horse: Dual Exhaust 60%
Welding junction pending

Project SHIVA: Cold Air Intake 40 %
waiting on fabrication of head resistant plastic to spec.

Project Falcon: Extended - Short Ram Intake 25%
Running behind engine, fed by a under car air dam/vent with CF or Head resistance Plastic headshield. ~ waiting on body work guy to help fabricate a low drag air dam from under the car to up into the engine bay and down again.

Project Big Mouth - Short Ram with fin design 80%
Short Ram with a wire frame fin design for inhibit air tumble and enhance air flow, 11% fuel gain. Sold Original, need to create a new one.

Project Smart Burn - 100%
Need Volenteers to test a theory behind the fuel economy of the car and testing a few minor mods vs. stock or near stock cars. It is possible to achieve low mpg during mixed city and extremely low fuel burn during highway.

I have already prepared my method. 4 cars will complete a trip between gas stations 60km from A to B with one configuration and then B to A with a swap of car configurations. Cars will be prepped, fully fuelled and rolled out at the same time, then will travel the full distance to the end point, refuel to full tank and compare Fuel loss in take.

The cars needed are
1 complete stock CVT Auto
2 RRM SRI CVT Auto
3 Stock Manual 5 speed (his purpose is to be a human benchmark)
4 I will be providing the CVT AUTO with a slightly modified SRI.

In lap B, if car 1 and 2 doesnt mind, they will swap there intake parts to ensure there is no discrepency between their cars. I may or may not swap during this test, and may go head to head with the most effcient pick. 1 2 or 3.

a max speed on all city streets will be observed including on highway. There will not be any drafting allowed. And a GPS tracker will be loaded in each car that has time indexing enabled. to allow us to compensate for any stop time that may occur if we get caught between red lights * unlikely. For those who are familure with highway 7 north of toronto.

I will post this request in its own thread when I am ready to begin. But all volenteers get 3 beers on me? from the 12 pack i am going to buy. To be enjoyed after the run, lol not before

Last edited by evo_soul; Sep 17, 2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

woah. thats some serious projects. well gl
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Sin City? You're in Toronto? I have a stock GTS with CVT let me know if you need me to test

Quick Reply: ~~~ Project Dark Horse - 08 Dual Exhaust