Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Hp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I remember uranium9v's trial and tribulation on the cam install. Again, he was probably the first test bed in the world for the lancer. At that time, the CG chassis lancer in Aussie hasn't flooded the market yet.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=22402

As for cam dyno stat, I don't know if one exists amongst the mirages guys. I do know Dudeinamirage was the first in the US to have it installed on his car. Unfortuantely, he missed his mark on the timing and bent some valves. Then, he took the opportunity to send his cyl head to DPR (Dan Paramo Racing) to do some port and polish work w/ new valves (maybe wrong on the valves).

The second install on a cam came in PR. I do beleive he's on this board and ours.

I'll email them both to come to this thread. DIM might be busy since he has a family and support two toddlers.

BTW: The mirage guys are a poorer lot. 99.8% of them don't have extra funds to dyno alongside other cars. I only know of 3-5 dyno stats amongst the entire lot.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 28, 2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I went down to Vishnu yesterday to see how much a pull plus a PROFESSIONAL AFC tune would cost, but he wasn't there, so I'll try again next week. I'm sure you guys would want to know the numbers.....Idle isn't very loppy at all either, slight stumble at idle, especially when cold (45-50 KAR) when warmed up (30-35 KAR) I feel the stumble on rare occassion. From what I remember the grind I have (stage 1.5) is the same as the Mirage stage 2 grind, so if you are trying to compare, that's what you'd compare against.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I intend to get a stage 1 turbo grind in the distant future. So far they're still untested (on these forums). That'll probably be in a year to a year and a half...at/around the same time I decompress and get forged internals.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

From what I remember the grind I have (stage 1.5) is the same as the Mirage stage 2 grind.
====================

You may want to upgrade valve springs. At stage two for the G93, the lift is high and long enough that in the end will wear out stock springs. Eventually, you have floating valves, not good for either NA and catastropic for TC ap.

Only one person has ever used Stage 2 and 3 NA cam. He had Quads, but a recent electrical surge wiped out his setting. In the end, he gave up his 2.5 yrs of downtime, because he's not a tuner. I have not yet see RPW's work on the cyl work and valve job for the motor. I can probably talk to him on the weekend or something.

BTW: No one in the US has ever used RPW's turbo cam grind at stage two or higher. For the mirage guys, a stage 1 NA grind can be used as stage 1 TC. Then again, I don't know if the formula is the same for the lancer or not. DIM was going this route, but I don't know if he has given up on the idea of TC.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 28, 2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ura, how long of a drive is it for you to Vishnu? I live in Gilroy and it's about an hour and a half buy girlfriend goes to school nearby so probably one weekend I'll be up there eventually. Even though I'll only be having the Stage 1 cam, I would like to have it tuned rather than let the stock ECU be in charge. Still need my TB, ECU reflash and an AFC before I get to the point where I'd talk to Vishnu though. Would be very interested in hooking up eventually and would be really great to have the cars run up simultaneously.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

What are the reasons the current Lancer engine can't produce more peak power? I can't really think of any. If you are serious enough about building the engine up, nothing can really stop you. You have the displacement over the Honda boys, perhaps the thing lacking is aftermarket R&D though. What kind of CFM can your current intake mani flow? With a small displacement 4 cylinder engine what you need is proper breathing to make power up at the higher RPM's. So a head that can flow, and proper cam grind are must in order to tap any kind of power. Also, what's the bore stroke ratio like? Then there's the whole weak con rod problem...

Heck, while you're at it, might as well replace the weak internals with forged parts and toss in a bit of N2O.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 05:58 AM

Sorry guys...I never had any before and after dynos done with my Stage 1 NA cam from RPW. The dynos in El Paso (well I could only find one) wanted $100 for the first 30 minutes and $75 for every 30 minutes after that (with the time for setting up the car on the rollers being counted against you!).

The Stage 1 passes emissions testing in TX with headwork and a bunch of other modifications...

If you don't have any way to alter the rpm limiter in your Lancer ECU (read: get a reflash from RRE/RRM) then you won't be able to make use of a cam much bigger than the Stage 1 cam. The cam and headwork definitely woke up the engine above 4000rpm. The G93 used to have a problem of hitting a brickwall at about 5900rpm where you could feel power dropping faster than the stock market and the engine was utterly weezing at the 6800rpm limiter. Now I can still maintain good power up to 6500rpm before it feels as if it is losing power again (peak power "feels" like it is around 5800-6000 or so now). The frickin' convoluted G93 manifold is the only thing holding me back now.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome back Dude.

I forget whether you have the 4g or the 5g Mirage but I'm guessing that you raised your rev limit from Stock. The G94 is stock 6500rpm and I think Uranium said the fuel cut is around 6210rpm. My 5g 4G15 was the same. I guess this should answer any questions about ECU reflashes being compatible with cams since you are saying the new rpm range only helps to benefit the cam.

What has been on most minds however is will the stage one cam grind need retuning with an ECU reflash?

How did you go about tuning yours?

WADAD

Last edited by WADADLIG_OZ; Aug 29, 2003 at 06:57 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

DIM has a 5g w/ a Greddy EM (first and only mirager to have one).

All G93 redlines at 6500, but fuel cut is about 6750 or 6800.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 29, 2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:10 AM

Hi all. Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm in the same boat as DIM, without any dyno numbers. It will finally get it done, along with the addition of a SAFC and some fine tuning during the month of october. I have basically the same work as DIM: UDP, Stage 1 cam, adj sprocket, headwork (p, p & milled; yeah I have to use premium fuel), intake, plus full 2.25 eaxhaust and the famed 4-1 header which DIM lacks. As he says, the car is another beast above 4000. Mine has the benefit of a stronger low end also beacuse of the milled head. As opposed to DIM, my power band is still making power at the limiter, and peak power seems to be at about 6200-6300, obviously because of the header. Oh yeah, my car has all the evap emmissions system unhooked. Still passes PR's emmission tests with flying colors.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:16 AM

I want to add that the car is now able to accelerate positively and merge in traffic in 5th gear, something that was a really hard task on a stock car, and even with the basic mods. To make it graphic, going about 45-50 MPH in 5th gear, you should be around 3000-3200 RPMS, you hit the pedal 3/4s without downshifting and youre reaching 75-80 in no time. The car positively feels like you were driving in 4th gear.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks to both of you guys. These are the only two miragers w/ cam work in the US that I know. If there are others, they have not showed themselves on the mirage board.

Even w/ my mods and tuning, I suspect that the G93's max peak HP will always be between 6200-6300 rpm. My peak was around there and started to taper off just under 6400. At 6500, it drops off completely. Since I have hit beyond redline to fuel cut once, I know there isn't power for me to tune via AFC. Greddy EM has a chance if it can delay fuel cut a bit later.

Then again, I don't know much of Greddy EM and its tuning abilities.

DIM,
So you think the intake mani is the biggest flaw attaining higher power in the upper rpm range for the G93.

Then again, we have never confirmed a solid pic(s) on a Taiwanese lancer w/ a G93 DOHC or the Gen 2 G93T for their intake mani design. Begs the Q, did mitsu carried it over from the US or all have totally different intake mani design.

Damn, on our board before the wipe out, there was an Aussie w/ a VRX G93T. He had an engine pic.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 29, 2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I've emailed the owner of a past Lancer VRX owner in Aussie, Yogi_B. Hopefully, he still have pics on the engine.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Baha

We need all the help we can get!!

WADAD
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, I was emailed to try and help you guys out.
I used to have a '97 Mirage VRX (Lancer GSR just with mirage boot lid and front grill), I don't have the car anymore but i've managed to dig up a pic of the engine bay from a while back.
If you want a better one I might be able to get one as my older brother has a '96 GSR.
I also used to have a lancer coupe (mirage coupe) with the SOHC 4G93 and as far as I can remember the intake manifold is the same.
To me mitsi just strenghtened the 4G93 block, added oil squirters, an extra chamshaft, stronger pistons and a turbo.
They left the same conrods as the NA in, which the 4G93t's are known for having weak conrods. So they could keep costs down.

See what you can make out of that picture.
And im a kiwi, big difference from an aussie

Just an edit, this engine was absolutly gutless above 6000, I blame that on the tiny TD04, and with a 7500 rev limit meant that there was lots of revs that was uselss to me.
It had good low down torque though, by 3000 you were in the meat of the torque but yeh, above 6000 it was really straining and you just have to switch to the next higher gear.

Last edited by Yogi_B; Aug 31, 2003 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Hp