Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

0-10 Take off Shudders

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0-10 Take off Shudders

Well, Hello everyone.

I just got a 02 Lancer Es. 103k miles on it. (I was browsing through and you guys have some nice cars)

Well anyways, this car could have numerous things wrong im sure but it runs good except for the fact that when i take off from a dead stop it shudders. Now, ive noticed that when i turn the ignition on and i let go right when the engine kicks on it doesnt do it. Now, i might just be getting lucky and it could be a hit and miss thing seeing as ive only had it for a few days.

So it shudders as if a tire was rubbing on the INSIDE of the car. I had a brother in law drive it and i tried hearing from the outside but no outside noise. It seems to be coming from inside the drivers console.

Brother in law checked underneath the car and noticed a cracked and deteriorating motor mount. Is that an option??

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

You have a motor mount on the driver's side which also supports the transmission. If that's the damaged mount, then that could be the reason you are getting a shudder feel when driving around.

But, you have 103k miles there probably some other rubber parts in the suspension that's worn out too. I would take the wheels off and just go through a visual inspection to see if any of the rubber in your suspension is cracked or any parts look loose.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:57 AM

Motor mount that support tranny. I'll give it a look when i get home. Now if that were torn wouldnt i get a shudder the whole time i was driving? Not just in the initial take off?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

I guess it depends on how badly worn/damaged the mount is. That's why I recommend you do a survey to see if there is possibly more than one thing that's causing you to have your shudder problem.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:42 AM

Ok, well its not the motor mounts. Popped the hood placed the parking brake on stepped on the gas in drive and it does it continously.No movements from the engine at all. Just the normal sway.

Any suggestions besides taking it to a mechanic?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:36 PM

What is the normal sway? It is very suggestive. My car used to have a ton of problem : from difficult shifting to that annoying take off shudder. I then noticed that my rear motor mount(completely behind and under the engine) was badly torn apart. I just packed it full of urethane then I took the front one off(cuz its easy) and packed it aswell. Now the car fells like new. Its great!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I had the exact same problems with my '04 before I traded that piece in for my new car. The AC/blower fan would shut off randomly, the shudder at take off, and sometimes it wouldn't let me shift into third or fourth. I hated that car. Love the '08 though! I never did find out what was causing it either, I took it to the dealership I bought it from several times and they said everything was perfectly normal. But if it happens again to bring it back while it is doing it. Which would never happen, cause they were very short duration problems that lasted no more then 5 minutes at a time. Good luck getting it figured out though!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:16 AM

Yeah, it seems to keep going back the the motor mounts. Im taking it in to a mechanic to get those swapped out. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Thanks a bunch guys.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

my car has had a bad missfire like that.