Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4b11 good for 400whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Yeah they legitamately do.

This is just more preachy nonsense. But just to be sure I'll tell this to all my firends with high powered cars and gauge their reaction. I bet they'll have the same response I did when I read it, which is .

The OP didn't say "I want to build a 400whp car" He asked if the block was good for it. That's the problem, people like Amby don't read it, don't try to comprehend the post, don't even try to answer it, but start putting in their own two cents about why it should or shouldn't be done or why they think its a bad decision. The thread gets derailed off into a tangent that has nothing to do with the original post. Here it is again:

Nowehere does it say "I want to build a 400whp car, someone smarter then me please try to talk me out if it." He asks, if it is true that the 4b11 block is good for 400whp. Maybe he wants to build a 300whp car and it would be good peace of mind to know that he's well under the limit, I dunno. Doesn't matter, all this discussion should be about is wether the block or stock bottom end can handle it.
I find it hilarious that you're this obsessed with me, you're even going so far as jumping down the throats of people who dare to agree with me. Seriously, give it a rest already, you've done this again and again and it's getting old. The reason the thread got derailed was because you decided to once again make it personal with back-hand attacks and jabs. If you hadn't posted your little bit of sarcasm, the thread would be fine.
It's pretty easy to make the logical jump that if somebody is asking about making 400WHP in a 4B11 in a Lancer thread, they're likely asking if it's possible to make 400WHP on a Lancer motor. If this has nothing to do with the Lancer, why is it in Lancer engine tech and not Other cars?
Old May 29, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I find it hilarious that you're this obsessed with me, you're even going so far as jumping down the throats of people who dare to agree with me.
Your giving yourself too much credit, and I didn't jump down anyone's throat.
Seriously, give it a rest already, you've done this again and again and it's getting old.
Right, 'cause your posts should be exempt from being challenged.
The reason the thread got derailed was because you decided to once again make it personal with back-hand attacks and jabs. If you hadn't posted your little bit of sarcasm, the thread would be fine.
I haven't made it personal. I think you should grow a bit thicker skin if you are going to participate in an open forum. I disagree with you, and more specifically your philiosophy on high powered FWD cars - in this thread.
It's pretty easy to make the logical jump that if somebody is asking about making 400WHP in a 4B11 in a Lancer thread, they're likely asking if it's possible to make 400WHP on a Lancer motor. If this has nothing to do with the Lancer, why is it in Lancer engine tech and not Other cars?
This makes no sense to me. Of course it is about a Lancer and the 4B11.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

This is clearly personal since you seem to do this over and over again. Moreover, I didn't see you addressing any other posts, just mine over and over again. The only other post you quoted was one which agreed with me and you merely used it to dissect my post (or rather the reasons behind my post).
So you freely admit that this is about a Lancer and the 4B11 yet you apparently have a problem with someone asking "why do you want 400 WHP in a FWD car?". That's a pretty relevant question. It was also only half of my comment but you've somehow managed to blow it up. Seriously, why don't you go jump down your fellow Evo owners throats who dare to tell people not to buy a BOV rather than tell them what the bestest one is?
Old May 29, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

So you freely admit that this is about a Lancer and the 4B11 yet you apparently have a problem with someone asking "why do you want 400 WHP in a FWD car?". That's a pretty relevant question. It was also only half of my comment but you've somehow managed to blow it up. Seriously, why don't you go jump down your fellow Evo owners throats who dare to tell people not to buy a BOV rather than tell them what the bestest one is?
I'll explain it one more time. You are off topic. You spread your holier then thou mantra throughtout the forums of cars you deem less then yours. This thread is about the limits of the stock block. Not, should we do it or not. This thread covers more then just the Lancer its also about the Genesis Coupe, so its not plaform specific per se, just engine specific. We know the engine in the Gen coupe is different from the LAncer, but some people don't. Wether or not you think someone should build a 400whp FWD car is irrelevant. You are too hard headed to understand this simple point. Feel free to go back to telling people whats best for them, as you were.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'll explain it one more time. You are off topic. You spread your holier then thou mantra throughtout the forums of cars you deem less then yours. This thread is about the limits of the stock block. Not, should we do it or not. This thread covers more then just the Lancer its also about the Genesis Coupe, so its not plaform specific per se, just engine specific. We know the engine in the Gen coupe is different from the LAncer, but some people don't. Wether or not you think someone should build a 400whp FWD car is irrelevant. You are too hard headed to understand this simple point. Feel free to go back to telling people whats best for them, as you were.

How was I off-topic? It's highly hypocritical of you to say I'm off-topic while you yourself are off-topic right now with your posts. Moreover, did I say "a 400 WHP car is retarded and completely useless"? No, I asked "Plus, why would you want a 400 WHP FWD car?". Why? Because a lot of people state these arbitrary numbers without thinking about what they mean or what they entail. You've somehow managed to turn this into 2 pages of critique (most of which is aimed purely at me, not my one, single comment that others agreed with) even though you're the only one with this issue. Nobody else has said "oh my god, you're off-topic", hell others have posted things along the same lines yet you haven't said a damn word to them. The hypocrisy is outstanding.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyundai's version of the 4B11 in the Genesis is not related to a DSM motor at all, nor is it any kind of "variation" of it. Turbo DSMs use 4G63Ts and are the same engines found in Galant VR4's or detuned versions of Evolutions of similar vintage. Turbo DSMs use Mitsubishi 4G63Ts.
Hyundai does too use the same basic block 4b11 as seen in the evolution... I have seen articles on this, the 4b motors were a joint venture between Dodge, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. As I said I don't know if Diamond Star Motors is still around but it just sounds like that would be the case given the cooperation between Mitsubishi and Dodge. Hyundai actually built the 4b11 block and Mitsubishi and Dodge have their own internal work done to suit their needs for their cars and markets. Even if DSM isn't around anymore there is a nameless joint venture between the three companies and the 4b series from all three companies is identical.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off this is a LANCER ENGINE TECH sub section of the forum where this post shouldn't even be. Second the internet is for opinions, you just gave yours. All he said was "why would anyone want a 400whp FWD?" I don't see what is wrong with him asking a simple question as well as giving an opinion. I've driven a 310whp MS3 and that car was amazing but I couldn't imagine how much under steer you would get on a track, and tuning a 400whp car and not hitting a track should be considered car abuse. That's like helping your kid train for football than never letting him play... And that is the point Amby was trying to make which I agree fully with.

As I said this is the Engine Tech section for the LANCER not the GENESIS so I think a mod should move this post to at least the Lancer General... and others need to chill out. It's only the internet.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
Hyundai does too use the same basic block 4b11 as seen in the evolution...
This is true, since they are the ones who originally developed the engine. Mitsubishi and Chrysler supposedly picked up the design at about 80% completion level and finished it up from there for their own applications.

I have seen articles on this, the 4b motors were a joint venture between Dodge, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi.
Correct, no argument there.

As I said I don't know if Diamond Star Motors is still around but it just sounds like that would be the case given the cooperation between Mitsubishi and Dodge. Hyundai actually built the 4b11 block and Mitsubishi and Dodge have their own internal work done to suit their needs for their cars and markets. Even if DSM isn't around anymore there is a nameless joint venture between the three companies and the 4b series from all three companies is identical.
Again, that's true, but it has nothing to do with the 4G63 that came before it. DSM was a joing venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler only, not Hyundai. Mitsubishi allowed Hyundai to build their own versions of n/a 4G63s to put in some of their own cars. the 4G63Ts under the hood of Mitsubishi Eclipes, Eagle Talons and Plymouth Lasers were made by Mitsubishi. The DSM joint venture is defunct, but the name lives on to enthusiasts who are describing turbo 1G and 2G Eclipses, Lasers and Talons only, and Galant VR-4's which aren't truly DSMS but have the same mechanicals. The official DSM moniker only applies to vehicles built in the Normal, IL plant that Mitsu and Chrysler once co-owned, but is now owned entirely by Mitsubishi.

The current joint venture that is for the 4BXX engines is not nameless, its called GEMA. GEMA does not equal DSM.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 29, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
and tuning a 400whp car and not hitting a track should be considered car abuse. That's like helping your kid train for football than never letting him play... And that is the point Amby was trying to make which I agree fully with.
I think you're putting words in his mouth, but either way I think thats a pretty silly analogy.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Zomg, somebody else states they have no problem with what I said, what is this world coming to?!
Old May 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Zomg, somebody else states they have no problem with what I said, what is this world coming to?!
I remember when I was in the third grade, something like that would've mattered to me. Now that I'm all grown up, I don't need others to "agree" with me to state what's on my mind.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

I remember when I was in the third grade, something like that would've mattered to me. Now that I'm all grown up, I don't need others to "agree" with me to state what's on my mind.
And yet you seem to have a problem with others stating what's on their mind, oh to live in the hypocritical world.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

And yet you seem to have a problem with others stating what's on their mind, oh to live in the hypocritical world.
You obviously don't know what being a hypocrite means. I disagree, that's not being hypocritical.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

You obviously don't know what being a hypocrite means. I disagree, that's not being hypocritical.
You make a point about not needing people to agree with your stated opinion (and your apparent right to state that opinion) as a means to address my comment regarding others agreeing with my stated opinion that you apparently have an issue with. The hypocrisy is very clear. I state my opinion and you **** a brick yet you want to be able to state your opinion while carrying the thread far off-topic (which you also accused me of doing despite the fact that it didn't happen until you came into the picture).
Old May 29, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

You make a point about not needing people to agree with your stated opinion (and your apparent right to state that opinion) as a means to address my comment regarding others agreeing with my stated opinion that you apparently have an issue with.
Whatever. I'll clarify it. I don't need "backup" or validation from others to be confident in what I'm saying or believe in. You obviously do. That was my point.
I state my opinion and you **** a brick
I love the colorful descriptions. Do you have a camera on me or something? No, it isn't that deep. I can retain my composure when answering all of your inane responses. Nor am I concerned that someone else might not agree with what I'm saying, but side with you.
(which you also accused me of doing despite the fact that it didn't happen until you came into the picture).
I just started out by saying a 400whp FWD was okay, it didn't have to go any further then that. But obivously being challenged caused you to "break into a cold sweat" (I can do it too) so immediately you had to do your whole damage control PR blast thing, which is why 3 pages later your still trying to convince me that your opinion should matter to me.

Quick Reply: 4b11 good for 400whp?