Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4b11 good for 400whp?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dustyp34
every body downs front wheel drive cars due to oversteer and that is because they don't know how to effectively correct oversteer for those who don't please read:
I think you meant understeer. FWD cars tend to "push" or understeer. You can set them up to be more neutral or perhaps be able to oversteer because in that ability to rotate, will make them faster in cornering. But yeah, in racing where the horsepower is limited to like 300 or so like KONI Challenge or SCCA Touring Car, A FWD car can be made to be very competitive and win against RWD - provided they are Acuras or Mazdas and have a lot of money and experience behind them, but yeah.

To the OP: Are you asking if the bare block is good to 400whp? Or the stock bottom end (pistons rods,etc) which I'm sure you know the answer is no. Really, no comparisons should be made to the Genesis at all, as Mitsu makes its own version of the block in their own factory as does Chrylser as does Hyundai. Who knows if Mitsu follows a different casting process, uses a different alloy mix? So if you just mean the bare block, I'd wager to say yes it can, but it doesn't necessrily follow that if the Hyundai can or can not then the Mitsu can or can not either

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my bad I corrected that.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

every body downs front wheel drive cars due to understeer and that is because they don't know how to effectively correct understeer for those who don't please read:

FWD's, give the driver considerably greater control of his or her automobile. Here's why:

* Even once traction has been basically lost, the front wheels can be pointed in the direction you want the front end to go, and by varying the engine rpm to "find" the best traction, the front end will generally "claw" its way to where you want it - around the corner, in your lane.

* Adhesion of the rear wheels can be modulated, at the same time, by APPLYING BRAKES in the corner! Thus the best cornering style, at speed, involved using right foot on the gas, and left foot on the brake, at the same time. More yaw at the rear is effected by more brake pedal pressure; more claw at the front by applying more throttle.

* Bonus: You still have the steering wheel, and now it's not just something you have to use to correct rear-wheel oversteer. You can use it to adjust the position of the front end towards or away from the center of the corner, as you simultaneously adjust traction with the right foot, and keeping the rear end where you want it with the left foot.
That's all nice but even with all that information there's still a problem: FWD gets killed by RWD and AWD in almost every situation. There's a reason race cars usually are not FWD. There's also a reason why no one makes highly powered FWD cars. It's that they don't get traction.

Here's the answer to the 400whp question: NO ONE KNOWS!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:04 PM

why do i see FWD hondas destroy Ferrari's, lambo, and porshes?

in racing everything is not determined by one cause. its a combination of things. if it isn't, the most expensive car will win all the time.. and thats never the case.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

All im saying is that FWD and RWD have their advantages and disadvantages. Car makers these days are designing RWD cars to where they will understeer before they oversteer due to safety reasons. Also isnt the Colbalt SS upthere with the Evo and it is FWD. Any yes I know that RWD is the best of both worlds.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smoke
Where do you see that? IF some pro behind the wheel of a track prepped Civic is up against some doctor or investment banker in a LAmbo and the latter has no formal training nor is he willing to push his car to the limit for risk of damaging it, and the course is tight and technical favoring agility and not power then yeah, I cansee how a Civic could win.

But I've never seen Civic in formal racing defeat high powered RWDs like the exotics you mention ( and Porsche). Hell, I've never seen them go head to head because the sanctioning bodies are smart enough to seperate the cars so that nobody takes a knife to a gunfight. A professional Civic is most certainly a knife and is tottally outgunned by a pro Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche effort.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
every body downs front wheel drive cars due to understeer and that is because they don't know how to effectively correct understeer for those who don't please read:

FWD's, give the driver considerably greater control of his or her automobile. Here's why:

* Even once traction has been basically lost, the front wheels can be pointed in the direction you want the front end to go, and by varying the engine rpm to "find" the best traction, the front end will generally "claw" its way to where you want it - around the corner, in your lane.

* Adhesion of the rear wheels can be modulated, at the same time, by APPLYING BRAKES in the corner! Thus the best cornering style, at speed, involved using right foot on the gas, and left foot on the brake, at the same time. More yaw at the rear is effected by more brake pedal pressure; more claw at the front by applying more throttle.

* Bonus: You still have the steering wheel, and now it's not just something you have to use to correct rear-wheel oversteer. You can use it to adjust the position of the front end towards or away from the center of the corner, as you simultaneously adjust traction with the right foot, and keeping the rear end where you want it with the left foot.
Try some of this stuff at the track and then tell us how "easy" it is. You can have less than a second to react once the tail end starts coming around.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke

in racing everything is not determined by one cause. its a combination of things. if it isn't, the most expensive car will win all the time.. and thats never the case.
And where do you see that, youtube?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:12 PM

i think so !!!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

well anyways, does anyone know about 300 whp on the stock block?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
To the OP: Are you asking if the bare block is good to 400whp? Or the stock bottom end (pistons rods,etc) which I'm sure you know the answer is no. Really, no comparisons should be made to the Genesis at all, as Mitsu makes its own version of the block in their own factory as does Chrylser as does Hyundai. Who knows if Mitsu follows a different casting process, uses a different alloy mix? So if you just mean the bare block, I'd wager to say yes it can, but it doesn't necessrily follow that if the Hyundai can or can not then the Mitsu can or can not either
If all the companies you are referring too are using the 4b11 engine than you could compare them. It all depends on who the manufacturer of the 4b11 block actually is. It is doubtful that each company has their own forging site for the different types of engines they have. Manufacturing looks for the cheapest way out, case is if you look at other engine components like the cylinder sleeves, there is a huge chance that they come from a company called Mahle.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
If all the companies you are referring too are using the 4b11 engine than you could compare them. It all depends on who the manufacturer of the 4b11 block actually is. It is doubtful that each company has their own forging site for the different types of engines they have. Manufacturing looks for the cheapest way out, case is if you look at other engine components like the cylinder sleeves, there is a huge chance that they come from a company called Mahle.
I don't know. I believe Hyundai's 4G63 was cast in their own forges, not just bought from Mitsu. I thought that same process might carry over to the 4B11. But you have raised a good point. Is it easier to build something on site or ship it half way around the world? Each company has its own assembly plant for each engine, so they are not buying the engines from one company and modyifiying them else where:

http://www.gemaengine.com/index.php?...d=15&Itemid=73
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly, I don't know where they actually do the casting for the engines, but whoever it is would be the one that sells them to everyone else. From a quality standpoint, this is better too cuz if another user finds a problem, the problem becomes aware to all involved. So from manufacturing view point, its easier and cheaper to buy something from halfway around the world. It also allows the buyer to ofload all the warranty/risk to the manufacturer.

From the link that u provided you can't be sure how they have that company set up. From my guess, i would say that each of the parent companies holds stock in that company, and that company remains independent. Regardless, if its the same engine in different cars, and one makes more power than the other, i would expect the others to be able to make the same power or more with modification.