Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Dynoed Stock Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my original post.. damn it...

I don't consider 1/4 mile to be worthwhile in the first place so I don't care what is respectable in it.. but 13's IS respectable for a moderately modified 4 cylinder FWD car. But 13s are not by any means respectable as far as a "classic" drag time.

As far as my car and modifications. I run on AVS ES100 tires currently, but going to Hoosier slicks next year. I run Eibach springs, an improved rear sway bar, and a front tower bar. Not much for suspension modification, yet I can get rotation when I need it and in general have a higher through cone slalom speed than a lot of the cars at the races. As far as aftermarket support for the Lancer... it's been out just about 2 years... it's new.. parts don't appear overnight. It doesn't have a long history in the US to build from. Besides, the only things we are really missing right now are new arms and more strut selections. Not a big deal.

I race in the Midwest Sports Car Council in a class higher than I'm supposed to (DM instead of EM where I'm supposed to be.) I'll be doing more SCCA racing next year hopefully.

When I made my 8 cylinder comment I was mostly referring to classic drag cars like your old chevelles and Camaro SS's. But following your links you'll still see that down in ep and so forth the times are still better than your CP class times. And that's my point. With far less horsepower, there are econobox FWD car's putting down superior times. I was not saying that the Vette's and the like weren't making reasonable pace.

Go ahead and question my racing experience. I've been racing for a year, I'm a noob with lots to learn for sure. But to my credit i took 82nd out of 1084 at the Mazda RevItUp event in Chicago and my score stated in the top 10% of the nation. And that includes against the "professional" and "club" class drivers as well. No point modifications for skill level, just plain times.

Anyone want to talk dyno's? Or just stay with the stupid old arguments of hp, 8cylinders, and why 4 cylinder FWD is never good enough for some people?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

I am sorry for sounding like a jackass in my last post. At the very least, I respect you for racing the car in an area that the Lancer has a chance to compete in, which is autocrossing. I respect anyone who actually race in a controlled environment. Just that your 8 cylinder comment sounded like it was coming from a close minded import lover, if you know what I mean.

And I do appreciate the dyno you provided us here, it really helped put an end to the senseless shift-point question.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

I know what you mean about the close minded import thing. Imports and 4 cyls AREN'T the only thing that can handle. It is just what they tend to be better at as themselves (opposed to being able to make lots of horsepower). And I realize my comments sounded a bit asinine reading them again... sorry!

All cars have their applications... you don't take a vet out to go do a nice 24 hour Rally race... but you also don't take an Evolution and go try and do NASCAR .

As far as the dyno....

I have to say I was pretty impressed with how flat the curves were. Not too many odd spikes and jumps. You get a lot of that in a 4 cyl usually, but these were surprisingly flat.

For those who want to learn more (which I always am one of) I was told that the little bit of bumps in the beginning of the dyno graphs are actually the ECU switching fuel maps. Nifty

Later!

Steve
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I liked seeing an objective viewpoint of a Lancers power band and peak output. As you said before, if you bought a Lancer for speed, guess what? The car is nice platform for an econobox, which is what Mitsubishi intended it to be. The OZ just happens to look the part that it is not.

Now I need to go find some pylons to kill with my 91 WHP!

Jason
Drag racing is for fast cars.
Autocross is for fast drivers!