Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

BHP Of 1.6 MIVEC Engine?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2002, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHP Of 1.6 MIVEC Engine?

Hey,

I've been having a fight/discussion with a friend down the pub for the past few nights about the MIVEC Engine and its BHP. i told him that its 175bhp at the wheels but he refueses to believe that its possible and he says that the 175bhp must be at the flywheel. Does anyone have any solid specs for the engine? Im thinking of doing a engine conversion with a mivec and wanna make sure its gonna be worth my while.

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2002, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At The Crank

Although I haven't found the correct answer yet, I think it is 165
for early versions 172 for later ones, but it is definitely at the crank.
You gotta remember that manufacturers almost always post flywheel
numbers for their engines. At least you can tell your friend that Mitsubishi was one of the first to break the 100hp per liter barrier
(if not THE first) I don't think Honda's B16B came out before, but
I'm not sure.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info, gives me something to think about anyway, whether or not its worth going for a MIVEC engine.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go For Out

I say go for it! If you could then put together some sort of forced
induction pacakage, or just keep it NA, that would make one
firecracker of a ride. Honda B16A/B18 conversions are all the rage
in the 'States. That kind of power in a small package of a Mirage
combined with some coilovers = one great ride.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 10:17 PM

All i have to do now is pay off my first loan on the car then im gonna get another hefty loan to convert it Thanks for advice!
Old Jun 6, 2002, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

shacko, which year is your lancer? In US, the previous generations Lancer were called "Mirage". If you want to get more info in MIVEC coversion, you might want to check into this site:

Mirage Performance

On top of my head, I can think of at least two people are doing the MIVEC coversion....

good luck
Old Jun 7, 2002, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

The MIVEC engine is very finicky. Mitsu claimed its flywheel HP at 175, but I see it around 165 HP w/ TQ around 125.

If you bring that motor to stateside (watch out for gen 1 for the 4g orientation mirage, gen 2 for the 5g & 6g orientation, and gen 3 MIVEC-MD for ultra-conservative engine) and do nothing with it, you'll hate the car since it has basically no TQ until 4K in rpm. Adding a header will dramatically make the car feel better.

Or you can hybrid it - rumored in Malysia (sp?) using the MIVEC tech with 1.8L crankshaft and conrods. Of course, you can't use the 1.6L domed piston now since the stroke is way bigger; therefore, you must use the 1.8 piston. It was claimed to have dynoed at wheel of 180 HP with globs of TQ. Of course, you'll sacrifice a bit of rpm and compression ratio.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 7, 2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 08:47 PM

Different name strikes again!

Lan evo,

My lancer is 98 but as you mentioned in the us its called a mirage, and also one thing you gotta realise is that unlike in the us where its 1.8 the irish one only comes in 1.3! So the mivec should give it a good kick up the ****. So i think my options are do the mivec conversion or wait just under 3 years till in 25 and go for an evo then, id have to wait that long because insurance is such a joke in this country and even then i might have to register and insure it in the UK. The cars still in shop after a week because some gobsheen reveresed into the side of me, the fella was booting along, the drivers door got the most of the damage but the front panel and rear door got hit too.... least he is paying for it.. Dying to get it back so i can put on my 17" superleggeras that finally came after 2 months aswell as my 40 mill springs.

Thanks for the link and ta for the info bahamut
Old Jun 7, 2002, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

shacko: Although the US Mirage has an 1.8 engine, but it's a SOHC with an output of only 113 hp (or 115??) Therefore, an 1.6 MIVEC coversion is actually an upgrade, not downgrade in this case.

My suggestion will be, if you're concerned with EVO's insurance rate (I know they're crazy in Europe), stick with this car for a little longer and have fun with it doing the MIVEC. For us folks here, we have limited resource and knowledge for MIVEC since this technology was never offer in this country. However, if this engine is offer in Ireland or UK, it shouldn't be too tough to find out who have done this OR information regarding such conversion.

Good luck
Old Jun 10, 2002, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MIvec Info

I can confirm

The 4G92 Mivec motor does produce 165hp at the flywheel From 1992 - 1997 and 175hp from 1997 On.

The reversed the motor direction just like the mIrages in 1997 so watch what model you buy.

For anyone with less than a 1.8 litre motor the Mivec is a fantastic upgrae and one that I would recomend fitting to anyone. Add RPW Race design extractors, rampod cold air induction, 2 1/2" exhaust and programmable computer and you add on around 20hp to the flywheel so easily.

But you do have to reve it hard. We are doing several mivec conversions right now in australia very popular but we fit them up with Haltech computers so to avoid ignition timing problems.

My advice in Ireland - fit the mivec and have some fun. The power to weight ratio is great and you will scare a lot of bigger cars.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Jun 13, 2002, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the additional info mitsiman, i think youve made my mind up for me cheers!
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

here is the dyno chart for the Mivec...

http://homex.coolconnect.com/member/dinky/mrdyno.html