Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Easiest swap for a 2005 Lancer cs3a with a 4g18 engine and a Manual f5m411 gearbox

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest swap for a 2005 Lancer cs3a with a 4g18 engine and a Manual f5m411 gearbox

I have a 2005 Lancer cs3a with a 4g18 engine and a Manual f5m411 gearbox.

I would like to know what engines use a block that would be compatible with my f5m411 manual gearbox and would give me a bit more power while retaining the same bellhousing, gearbox and clutch etc.

I have read the 4g9x engines maybe compatible with my gearbox but not the 4g6x engines, is that true?

A 4g92 MIVEC with 172bhp would be my first choice if this is the case, but a 4g93GDI with 148bhp or a 4g94GDI with 145bhp would be OK too.

I live in Thailand where performance cars are expensive but second hand engines can be sourced fairly cheaply that have been imported from Japan, HK and Singapore. Manual boxes however are harder to source because most people prefer auto's here. (I am not one of them)

There is no restrictions on putting older engines in newer car's here.

Because of the heat I would rather go for a N/A engine swap than a turbo on my existing engine.

Many thanks in advance for any help, advise or links to previous builds.

Also I would like to meet other petrolheads in Thailand!

cheers
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i don't know of any north american cars to have the 4G18, so i'm unsure of what is compatible...the biggest difference between 4G9x and 4G6x motors/transmissions is the placement of the starter motor. both can use an F5M42 gear box, but use a different bell housing due to starter motor location and transmission mounting bolt pattern.
The following users liked this post:
jay1980 (Aug 9, 2016)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i don't know of any north american cars to have the 4G18, so i'm unsure of what is compatible...the biggest difference between 4G9x and 4G6x motors/transmissions is the placement of the starter motor. both can use an F5M42 gear box, but use a different bell housing due to starter motor location and transmission mounting bolt pattern.
Many thanks for the reply , I understand what you ment about the bell housing for the 4g6x and 4g9x being different.

I could get a 4g69 2.4 MIVEC (170bhp) here really cheaply and would give really good power with no mod's for a normally aspirated motor but all the ones I can source easily would all come with a Auto box and I want to retain m/t. I will ask around the salvage yards where they import the half cuts to see if I can find a 4g69 or 4g63na with m/t but here in Asia they love Auto's so I not sure how successful I will be.

If no luck with the 4g6x m/t bell housing I have been advised that it would be easier to fit a 4g93 1.8 GDI (148 bhp) as the starter motor is in the same position and it would all bolt up to my existing bell housing and gearbox the same as the 4g18. Still it is over a 40% power increase on my 4g18 and there is no strict emissions testing here in Thailand so I could lose the cat and also improve the induction and hopefully improve the power a little without losing reliability as it is my only car.

BTW is there a way to vote up your post?

cheers
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
not sure about voting up.

if you can source an F5M42 gear box, a 4G69 is an excellent choice...a 4G93 is good too...are there 4g eclipses or 9g galants over there? what engines do they use?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
not sure about voting up.

if you can source an F5M42 gear box, a 4G69 is an excellent choice...a 4G93 is good too...are there 4g eclipses or 9g galants over there? what engines do they use?
Hi

There is hardly any sport coupe cars like the Eclipse, sometimes see an FTO or GTO but never seen an Eclipes in Thailand.

Never seen a Galant hear also except the very old ones from the 80's and early 90's.

The way import tax works here means that it is almost impossible to import and register a car from oversea's without spending serious money, like 300% of the car's original value, however they import 'half cuts', used engines, drive-trains and parts from Japan and Singapore (because once a car is over a certain age in those countries it becomes uneconomical to run so many perfectly good cars are scraped for tax reasons.)

They even take a standard Lancer which is affordable because it is a locally produced car, and build them into fully Evo's using all the parts from a Japanese scrapped car, all that remains of the original standard lancer is the body shell and the registration!

For me I don't want to go that far, I like my Lancer, I think it has nicely balanced handling for what it is but I was used to having a hot hatch in my own country (UK) and there are none available here without spending serious money. I would like just 150BHP + and then I will get some coil-overs and stick a set of 17's on it so it drives a bit more like a hot hatch.

The one car offically sold in Thailand with a 4g69 Mivec is the 'Spacewagon'

So 4g69's are easy to find but they all would have been mated to Automatic boxes.

I have a couple of friends who know more about sourcing parts so if a suitable manual gearbox (F5M42) could be found I would love a 4g69 MIVEC but if not I will look at a 4g93 GDI which would still be a big improvement on my current 4g18 which barely has 100 BHP.

Many thanks for your advise!

Last edited by jay1980; Sep 12, 2015 at 09:23 PM.