Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

K20 swap into 2003 Lancer ES?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K20 swap into 2003 Lancer ES?

Is it possible to swap a K20 into a Lancer Es auto? has it been done before? ive searched the forum but no luck.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:20 PM

i dont know why you would want to. just get a honda with the k motor in it
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

its something different and everyone and there moms has a honda my friend mentioned the k20

Last edited by Onkar02; Feb 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL I shot snot from my nose when I read the title..

dude you drive a mitsu, leave the honda motor in the hondas.

Since you have no idea I'll give you a detailed response as to why its a bad idea and why you didn't find any info on this swap because no one has done it before.

So quick list of things you'll need.

custom one off engine mounts.
custom one off axles
stand alone engine management system
custom shift linkage
custom exhaust
cost of tuning
various wires and hoses

probably more I've forgot but really even if you got the engine and transmission for free, the above would still cost more then just rebuilding and/or turboing your lancer.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotime

^^+2

well that and picturing snot from ones nose flying is pretty funny as well.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotime

dude you drive a mitsu, leave the honda motor in the hondas.

Since you have no idea I'll give you a detailed response as to why its a bad idea and why you didn't find any info on this swap because no one has done it before.

So quick list of things you'll need.

custom one off engine mounts.
custom one off axles
stand alone engine management system
custom shift linkage
custom exhaust
cost of tuning
various wires and hoses

probably more I've forgot but really even if you got the engine and transmission for free, the above would still cost more then just rebuilding and/or turboing your lancer.
hrmmm i think i could simplify this a bit more..
Honestly.. if u can get your hands on most of the parts.. ull only really need custom engine mounts, and custom axles..

if u can get ahold of a whole front clip including the whole wiring harness, ecu, and everything.. hooking it up wouldant be that bad.
any issues would be all the accessories mainly..fuel/lights/switches etc.. anything thats not directly hooked to the motor would have to be wired up seperately with switches more then likely.

being that most k20/k24 motors arent very cheap i think ur still looking at 4-6k to do a swap.. really isnt as hard as someone might make it out to be.. but u will be spenind about a grand on axles, and probably.. 500+ on engine mounts dependin on who does makes them for u.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Feb 21, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
hrmmm i think i could simplify this a bit more..
Honestly.. if u can get your hands on most of the parts.. ull only really need custom engine mounts, and custom axles..

if u can get ahold of a whole front clip including the whole wiring harness, ecu, and everything.. hooking it up wouldant be that bad.
any issues would be all the accessories mainly..fuel/lights/switches etc.. anything thats not directly hooked to the motor would have to be wired up seperately with switches more then likely.

being that most k20/k24 motors arent very cheap i think ur still looking at 4-6k to do a swap.. really isnt as hard as someone might make it out to be.. but u will be spenind about a grand on axles, and probably.. 500+ on engine mounts dependin on who does makes them for u.

I would agree going this route would be easier but good luck splicing the accessories - pretty well the interior wiring harness into the rsx one. might become a really big pain fast.

I think drive shaft shop charges around $2000 for complete custom axles...

i duno.. look at it this way.. the two guys who did the evo engine swaps into their lancers using the ralliart transmission staying fwd paid close to 10 grand for parts + labour.. and that was from more or less the same platform. let alone going to a honda..

end of the day its just not worth it.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep.. on a rollin shell it wouldnt that bad.. wiring up only the stuff needed wouldnt be that bad.. but ur talkin a car with almost no accessories..

10k for a stock motor.. and 220-240hp doesnt sound worth it to me at all..
even the evo swaps.. 10k for 300hp.. not worth it unless ur really giong all out with it.. better off just trading up cars.. or keepin what u got..
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

That's why I got a GVR4.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

@turbotime- i wasnt going to do this, i just ordered a 4G92 head for my 4G94 block my friend was talking about it so i posted it and wanted to see what you guys would think about it. thats all i had no intentions of doing this.
@demon ni2- thanks for the response bro
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

let us know how the mivec swap goes. i dont think too many people have done that one.

jsoh
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think anyone has done it before. Go for it. I loved my K20Z3 motor. High redline and much potential. Id personally say get you the new Civic SI or an RSX and build it up. But if you want to go this route, more power two you. GLWB
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

@JRR- will do bro, but I'm not doin the mivec head swap just the dohc head, I can get the mivec head for the same price but you have to change around the wires and it's a pain in the ***. The output is the same so there's no real difference and the dohc head is more reliable.
@sgt_petty- haha yea K20s are super sick man, my friend has a new si that runs hi 12s and I also have a friend with a turbocharged rsx type s so I don't wanna do that. The K20 idea would be sick but it's gonna cost hella bank. That's why I'm sticking with the head swap it's gonna provide a better basis to work off of then the Sohc head when I go turbo
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Onkar02
@JRR- will do bro, but I'm not doin the mivec head swap just the dohc head, I can get the mivec head for the same price but you have to change around the wires and it's a pain in the ***. The output is the same so there's no real difference and the dohc head is more reliable.
what g92 you pulling that out of? i thought that the g92 heads were mivec and the g93 from like taiwan and australia were dohc
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JRR
what g92 you pulling that out of? i thought that the g92 heads were mivec and the g93 from like taiwan and australia were dohc
My question exactly. What's the point of doing the swap if you aren't getting the DOHC MIVEC head from the 1.6L 4G92. The one from the Cyborg and Astis?

Quick Reply: K20 swap into 2003 Lancer ES?