Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Catch Can

I don't know why but since last night I have been thinking about this. I know the purpose of this is to keep junk from going back into the motor (or intake), but besides that what are the real or other benefits of this?

Also alot of FI setups use them but can NA set up use them as well? Is it street legal (would it pass inspection/emissions)?

Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any info.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u just about said it.. helps keep junk out of your intake.. anything coming out of the 'pcv' vents out the valve cover isnt needed, u can actually vent to atmospher, but the connection on the intake or intake manifold would need to be blocked so you dont have major vacume leaks. havin an inline catchcan is a decent idea, i did use water/air seperaters inline with mine for a long while, and it did collect alot of oil. but i have since then go to venting to atmosphere in a big breather box

condinsation and oil is collected mainly.. i see alot of oil blowback in my catchcan on a daily bases, but not all guys out there are turbo'd, so u wouldnt have all that extra crankcase pressure if you werent boosted..

the pcv system or whatever u want to call it, and also the egr mainly just recirculate crap back into the intake(they do have some function, but for most people, isnt needed at all)

do wahtever u want.. i had 2 'husky' water/air seperaters inline for my catch cans, they worked great. (u can find them in the, air compressors section at lowes or homedepot)

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM.