Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4G93 Intake Manifold on 4G94 (Fuel Rail not flush)??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G93 Intake Manifold on 4G94 (Fuel Rail not flush)??

Posted some images below. (sorry for the cell phone pic)

4-6 Months ago I installed/ported a 4g93(mirage) Intake Manifold in my 4g94 (04 Lancer ). Basically removed the stock intake manifold and installed the mirage manifold. I worked out a few kinks and it seemed to bolt right up.

At the end , I ran into a problem with the fuel rail not lining up to the bolt pattern on the intake manifold, It was not directly flush but allowed me to wedge and screw the bolts enough to push the injectors in. I left it that way since it was wedged and the screws were in tight, it seemed to run fine. However, Over the last couple months Ive noticed my idle has been weird and my acceleration has been garbage.

If you open the hood you can hear a vacuum leak type of sound, I thought it was just the sound of the ported intake manifold. As I started to track down the sound I pressed down on some of the injectors and noticed the sound would go in and out. I believe their is air leaking from the injectors as they are not seated as flush as they should be.

Did anybody have this issue when they installed their g93 intake manifold on their g94? Is their a fuel rail I can purchase that will sit flush ?

Worst case scenario I was thinking about dremeling the holes on the fuel rail to match the intake manifold holes.

Please, any information is much appreciated.

Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Bump, anyone?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

cant you use the g93 fuel rail? doubt it will work but what if you take it off heat up the tabs and bend em down to line up better.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

ur missing the black spacers that look like this http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...il_spacers.htm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replys guys . hmmm If I recall I tried it with the spacers and it wouldnt allow me to even wedge the screws in because it isnt seated correctly, so I removed them. It seems the holes on the rail are off by a few millimeters.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

yea the spacers dont bend any i thought..u could use a couple more lock washers and torque the hell out of it,when its cooled down of course so u dont strip em.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm...when I did the swap I sure my 94 spacers went in. But I also did use the 94 fuel rail...
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Hmm...when I did the swap I sure my 94 spacers went in. But I also did use the 94 fuel rail...
now that you mention the fuel rail the he's an 04-06 so his fuel rail is different compared to the 02-03 fuel rail that was the same on the mirages
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit

Yea it seemed like everything was a perfect swap up until this damn fuel rail had to go in.

If any of you could take a picture with your phone or camera at the same angle I did so I can see the fitment it would help me out some.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by link62
now that you mention the fuel rail the he's an 04-06 so his fuel rail is different compared to the 02-03 fuel rail that was the same on the mirages

I believe due to the returnless fuel system.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

this the best i could do.....too much crap in the way
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

plus the fuel rail is different....tabs are thinner than mine dont know if those help....
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Photool, I might have a Mirage fuel rail hanging around. I would have to check and then there would be the return vs. returnless issue which is easily solved just by running another fuel line.

If you want it to fit with your OEM rail, tell me this: which way is there play in the injectors? As in, is it play up and down or because of the way the rail sits, you can move them laterally as well? I'm sure a spacer can get down in there.

If push comes to shove, you may have to get longer fuel rail bolts and throw a few spacers in there just to keep it snug.

Is there a day this week / weekend that you're free that I can check it out?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lil' jeff
plus the fuel rail is different....tabs are thinner than mine dont know if those help....
Thanks a bunch for those pics jeff! Definitely a difference in the fuel rails.

Originally Posted by KillahB
Photool, I might have a Mirage fuel rail hanging around. I would have to check and then there would be the return vs. returnless issue which is easily solved just by running another fuel line.

If you want it to fit with your OEM rail, tell me this: which way is there play in the injectors? As in, is it play up and down or because of the way the rail sits, you can move them laterally as well? I'm sure a spacer can get down in there.

If push comes to shove, you may have to get longer fuel rail bolts and throw a few spacers in there just to keep it snug.

Is there a day this week / weekend that you're free that I can check it out?

Sent you a text bro. Thanks

Last edited by Photool; Jun 5, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

no prob...their kinda big lol

Quick Reply: 4G93 Intake Manifold on 4G94 (Fuel Rail not flush)??