Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Weird noise after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise after oil change?

Hello everybody, I've been lurking around the forums now and then and now joined and have a question.

Currently I am working at the Sears Auto Center and it was time for my car (2010 Lancer DE) to get an oil change. I've been wanting to try synthetic but the price was obviously higher.
My buddy who I've known for years did the oil change while we were at work and put in synthetic (for conventional price!).

Well we're leaving work and I notice a somewhat louder humming,buzzing like noise coming from the front around the engine.
The noise occurs between 2000-2500rpm if I hit 3000+ it sounds normal like before. We thought it was the air filter, since he checked it out but that was all fine. He didn't touch anything else on the car so we don't know what it is.

Weird part is, if it's sitting parked and I rev to 2000-2500rpm it sounds normal, yet when it's driving the noise occurs. I don't know what it can possibly be.
The noise seemed like it was starting to go away as I went back home but I didn't want to push it past 2500rpm.

Can the change to synthetic cause a different sound? What else can it possibly be if it was fine before? Again, it seemed like it was going away somewhat but I could still tell it was there.

This sucks as I am about to take a long trip with the car, hopefully you guys can think of what this can be.

-2010 Lancer DE w/ CVT no mods.

Last edited by jgj0ker; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

1) Make sure you put enough oil.
2) Make sure you put a compatible viscosity in. The dealership put in a higher viscosity than what was required for my car, but when I switched to the correct viscosity the motor got a bit louder on the road.
3) Haven't heard much on whether or not synthetic makes a motor louder when running, but could be a possibility depending on the brand/type.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:17 PM

I have the same thing. Went in for an oil change. I get synthetic, everything is good, then I leave and engine is louder. It's not revving higher, it's not losing power, only difference is the engine is louder. Not sure why. I've looked at the receipt from previous oil changes and they say 5-20 oil, this time I got 5-20 oil.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:01 AM

loud engine after oil change

i just changed my oil, switched to full synthetic. Now i get this loud humming noise at about 30-60mph then it diasppears. Below 30mph and at idle there is no noise. Check everything and seems all ok, no lights on the dash, correct fluid levels etc.
Can anyone help