Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Road Race MotorSports Ignition System??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Race MotorSports Ignition System??

Has Anybody heard about the new Road Race motorsports Lancer Ignition system for N/A engines?

Heres their write up

ADDING HORSEPOWER AND FUEL ECONOMY!!

Alright guys and girls just so you all don’t think Road Race Motorsports has forgotten about you we have been testing a brand new Plasma Ignition System for the lancer 2008+ for both manual and CVT. The time has come to give you all some details on the system and what to expect once we are done testing and ready for the world to start buying and enjoying the ignition system. We have developed this in conjunction with an independent tuning company.
This new ignition system will allow you to program for either power, fuel economy or a mix of both fuel economy and power. The system is incredibly easy to install, very straight forward and the instructions are easy to understand and follow. But of course, because you are modifying the ignition system of the car you MUST follow the instructions to the very last detail. From the way you gap the plugs to the way you tap into the stock harness.
The system includes a control module, wire harness, and new coil packs. Install took me just under 45 minutes from start to finish and after the initial 100 miles that the system needs to get set up, clean the combustion chamber and get adjusted to the car you will begin to feel the difference in acceleration and fuel economy. This is (short of turbo) the easiest and most beneficial item you can add to the lancer after you have done the basic mods i.e. intake, exhaust, piggy, pulley. We are certain this system is what the lancer needed which is why we decided to move forward and make such a huge push and invest so much time in R&D to pull what’s left of horsepower out of our small engines.
Last but not least as a group decision here at road race motorsports, we have decided to allow Rick( your friendly calilancers mod and owner of the Cali lancers core garage as some of you might know) to test and make changes he see's necessary to make this as big and as easy as possible for all the lancer community. He daily the lancer, He's done countless hours of work to this lancer and many of the other local lancers out there. we have enough knowledge and capability to really make an impact on this product to make it the newest and biggest product on the market.
In a nutshell this is what we have done with this system,
1) Increased spark burn duration (programmable to any crank angle)
2) Programmable dual Inductive and Capacitive breakdown voltage capability
3) Current regulation to promote non equilibrium plasma formation
4) Misfires minimized by achieving a high degree of spark extinguishing immunity
5) Reduction in timing advance sensitivity
6) Minimization of Spark Plug Degradation
This is only the first step into the project. This is a HUGE increase for the n/a world that for whatever reason does not want to go forced induction but we have not forgotten about our loyal turbo customers. Once the system is to our standards for the n/a world we will begin a push to do this for the turbo lancers out there who still want more power. Testing has not yet started for the turbo lancers so not many details can be said of it but once it does be sure that the details will be posted.

They have yet to offer a price but they claim it gains alot of power
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:13 PM

This reallys interest me! Do you know price and power gains on a 2.0?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:24 PM

hey everyone
my name is rick i work at road race motorsports and i am actually the one in charge of testing the kit.

im sorry we did not think to post it up on here but any questions anyone may have on the system i am here to help.

in terms of power gains i was able to knock off a second off my 0-60 time
i will post up more details here in just a few minutes about the testing and more info on the product so far.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:25 PM

here is my first review on the product after 1500 miles

Ok everyone, so after 1500 miles running with this profile, it’s safe to say I can write a review on my thoughts of the Ignition System.
First of all, we’ll go with the eco portion of this profile. I would average about 27-30 mpg on a normal cruise at about 65-70mph and currently if I cruise at the same speed or even cruising at 80 mph I am now averaging about 32-35 mpg. On the tank (combined both city and freeway driving) I get just about 29-31 on it. Before I was at about 28 mpg… on a good tank lol. This is still running 91 octane gas primarily from chevron or shell (my personal choice on fuel.) I did this test on a tank of gas that I did not do any canyon runs or really aggressive driving. It was all a matter of just driving like a normal person. Of course I still did a few pulls to get me going but for the most part it was mild driving. I know the number on fuel economy aren’t all that impressive but please keep in mind this is NOT an eco-profile but a POWER Profile. The eco profile is meant to provide an increase in MPG’s.
And now for the good stuff, the thing everyone wants to know about… the power the system makes. First, here is a little background info on my car. I currently have a few mods, nothing too crazy
Khaos: Rally Red 2008+ Lancer CVT
Engine,
• Injen C.A.I
• Tsudo mid pipe
• greddy ti-c
• Rallinspired tune
• Road Race Motorsports lightweight pulley
• Road Race Motorsports ignition system
Suspension
• Tein springs
• Road Race Motorsports front strut bar
• Road Race Motorsports rear strut bar
• Road Race Motorsports tie rods
• Road Race Motorsports lower truss bar
• Xxr 522 18x8.5
• Toyo proxies t1-r tires
So from the get go, the car will idle like stock, there is no added sound, nothing changes from the way the car feels. From a dead stop acceleration is instantly noticeable. I’ve taken almost a full second off my 0-60 time (using our Dash Daq unit from Zietronix). Shifting through gears is a lot faster and a lot more crisp. The car does not have that hesitation and you don’t need to rev as hard to get you moving to get past those damn mini vans that block the way on the freeway. The power added is really noticeable when you are cruising at about 20-25 and just pull all the way into 6th gear going past 80mph. not only do you have to take my word for it, but rob (the boss) has driven my car and so have the other coworkers.. For n/a guys who have everything done, this is the last push you need to keep you going. A few members have had a sneak peak at seeing the product itself but one member is the only one who actually has taken a ride in the car and I will allow for him to post up his take on the ignition system. His name on here is oracsky.

All in all, the product is definitely worth getting if you want to continue making power for of our cars. Extremely easy to install, reliable, and comes with the capability of using different profiles to suit your needs.
I will begin testing the eco profile within the next few days in hopes of making some great fuel millage. I was very impressed on the improvement this made and with the fact that the profile was for power, made me love the work put into it even more. It’s been a long road of testing but I’m glad we have put all the work into it to make it worth the money.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:26 PM

and my explination on the cost of the kit and all pricing info you will need.
if there are any other questions please feel free to call me at the shop or pm/post up on the product so that we may answer any questions/concers.

Ok so everyone has been asking about the pricing so here it is and here is why we have this price.

The ignition system will cost $1099.00. With the kit you will receive 4 smart coil packs, 1 control module with the map loaded into it already maximized for power in the N/A platform, 2 wiring harnesses (one for power, one that goes to the smart coil packs) mounting bracket for control module and detailed instructions.
The reason for us here at Road Race Motorsports going with this kit is that this really is the biggest bang for your money. You get the most out of your money and not only can you keep this system when choose to go turbo but the system alone with a stock car will work beautifully and will enhance the mods you already have on the car. This kit is a horsepower and mod multiplier.my personal 0-60mph time (going from a dead stop not launching the car) went from 8.6 to a pretty respectable 7.7 and I’m positive if I was doing a mild launch I can get it into a 7.4 maybe even lower. The time was recorder with another person in the car so that I would be focused on driving and the passenger doing the time.
In house install will cost $160. We have installed the kit multiple times and we know how involved it gets at certain points from torquing the spark plugs to gaping plugs and soldering. The install can NOT be altered for any reason and MUST be done exactly like the instructions say to do so. This system is very sophisticated and must be handled like so.

The ignition system is the next step for all of you who have already done every imaginable bolt on mod and are ready to make more power. This is not only for the NA lancer owners out there we will also be offering this kit for our turbo lancer owners that will have a different tune on the control module for the turbo lancer owners. A tremendous amount of time and work was put into this tune in forms of diagnosing the car and its needs that it had in order to make this work efficiently. If anyone would also choose to modify the existing tune on the kit we can offer a tuning cable for the control module so that you may modify. The tune on the kit is spot on and has been rigorously tested over the last 6 months to meet our standards which you all know from the rest of our products are very high. We are certain that everyone who buys our kit or even comes into the shop to check it out will be extremely pleased with the smooth, consistent and reliable power it provides. Again we are always happy to have customers come in and check out our lancers (both shop and personal) and all of our products and ask any question you may have for us.

The reason for the price is actually pretty simple and when you take into consideration the price of replacing stock coil packs. A set of aftermarket coil packs will run you $750.00 which is the price for like OEM replacement. The cost of OEM Mitsubishi coil packs is over $1100!!!! We got this price from our local auto parts store. Spark plugs will cost $40 and we will ship them already gaped and ready for install. We highly recommend professional install so that you will not run into problems with the system. The install is fairly easy for the moderately to highly skilled technician, steps are very easy to follow but if you do not know how to properly solder we recommend you do not install it yourself. The soldering must be spot on so that proper current may pass by the wire harness. We will be providing an install video when the times comes for the need of the product so that you may all have a better idea on how the install should be done. The Control module MUST be placed in a cool area of the engine bay and MUST be installed on the bracket provided with the kit. We went through a lot of testing on the system and install to make sure we got it right so that we may provide a reliable, safe and full proof system for the lancer community.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:48 PM

Oh god! $1099.... I might need to wait for a group buy or ask for santa @ cristmans!

Anyway, do you guys know how many HP and torque gains to expect from it?
This is a decision factor for me!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by filipec
Oh god! $1099.... I might need to wait for a group buy or ask for santa @ cristmans!

Anyway, do you guys know how many HP and torque gains to expect from it?
This is a decision factor for me!
we have not dyno'd the kit yet we do not see a need for it just yet, we will in the near future. with our testing and 0-60 times we are positive in the gains of the system

we have actual numbers of improvements(in seconds) rather than a number on a dyno sheet.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:08 PM

i was interested in this until i saw the price lol
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So... bump? You guys get it on a Dyno yet?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The system is being showcased at SEMA