Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Why the Hate for Modding Lancers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 08 Lancer GTS that i want to modd up but im not adding a turbo, i just want DD to be more fun.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang I am trying to make my Evo look like a lancer.lol
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Anti-mod is not always hate, given that this car is meant to get you to the grocery store and back, it's often just being realistic.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:32 AM

I got flamed by a non-evo guy about my car "trying so hard to be an evo". It happens.
I may not always like what other people do to their cars, but it's their car and they can do what they like with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and tastes. If you want to boost your car, I say do it and wish you good luck! I know I'm counting down the days until my warranty is up so I can boost mine. Until then I need a reliable car that's (somewhat) okay on gas.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Sometimes guys have to put themselves in check. I'm just as guilty. I went to a car show over the weekend with my kids and my father. My dad sees a lancer with a bodykit made to look like an evo and he thought it was an evo. I kind of scoffed at it and told him it's just a fake. I try to remind myself of when I was young and had no money and the crap I used to do. I painted my radiator fan and heatshield blue on my 1996 Nissan 200sx just to feel like Ive modded my car. I was broke but it made me feel good to do something no matter how small. I even had dreams of graphing R34 skyline headlights onto it. To each is own.

It is a shame though when someone puts so much money into body kits and turbos on a lancer only to have the end result be a failure and when the money gets added up they could have had a high mileage used evo.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

did I read something wrong or did that say +3 degrees of camber?

are you implying (since youve been around here a while) that if the cars wheels had +3 degrees of camber causing the tires to rub you would do an alignment?

Bc -3 is not a bad thing for track, the majority of us run -2 with the flipped bolts.

and to each their own, like you said. I personally disagree with the rolling the fenders analogy as adding a wide body kit just to comfortably fit slightly bigger tires is dumb. 17x9.5 and a meaty tire will "need" rolling, but on a widebody it would look like the wheels are 14 inches.

again, i respect everyones opinion, just my .02
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:41 PM

I don't understand all this evo nonsense I'm not trying to make car look like an evo I want a carbon fiber hood totally different styled and a different body kit no fake EVO here lol just want my car a little faster
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by rallyred91
lol just want my car a little faster
Tell me about it! haha ... the Lancer isn't the slowest car around, but I'm self-proclaimed slowest driver in my club and no one argues. :P
Wouldn't mind a little more power though.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chu's Mom
Sometimes guys have to put themselves in check. I'm just as guilty. I went to a car show over the weekend with my kids and my father. My dad sees a lancer with a bodykit made to look like an evo and he thought it was an evo. I kind of scoffed at it and told him it's just a fake. I try to remind myself of when I was young and had no money and the crap I used to do. I painted my radiator fan and heatshield blue on my 1996 Nissan 200sx just to feel like Ive modded my car. I was broke but it made me feel good to do something no matter how small. I even had dreams of graphing R34 skyline headlights onto it. To each is own.

It is a shame though when someone puts so much money into body kits and turbos on a lancer only to have the end result be a failure and when the money gets added up they could have had a high mileage used evo.
That is the whole point of being a "car guy" Its also the "Man disease" we simply can't leave "s**t alone! and thats ok. I am starting to sound like an Al-anon meeting, My name is Brent and I am a car guy, I can't leave "s**t alone, it has been 2 weeks since my last car mod and well..I need you support...you get the idea. If there were an award I would win hands down I have spent over 20k on a car now worth about 6k (according to blue book) and I am not even close to being done! only claim to fame is my car was the worlds first 04-06 Ralliart 2.4MIVEC to have ECU reflash running the turbo kit. If I wanted an EVO I could have easly bought one but I set out on a quest and because of that quest I am now co-owner to UVTune Inc. (Flashing the 04-06RA and 06+Eclipse) point is never know where it will all take you. There are mods that works and ones that just look pretty and you know what....they are all just as cool! The car is an expression of who you are or want to be so if you have the itch to mess with s**t do it!!!!!! Another example of where thia has taken me I am now involved with a company that has designed the first programmable ignition system. Gas Mileage is down and power delivery is up! the tech is amazing! its expensive but its worth every dime. Enough glossing bottom line is, this is what we do! Get out there and paint ,replace, install, tweak or tune something.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:35 PM

It's your thing , do what you want to do . I have had much faster cars in the past. But, the Lancer is a fun car. I have modded mine and will do so until I get bored or run out of money !
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:21 PM

I agree with you, i get yelled at in real life when i talk about modding my car, honestly anything i do is for personal gains and in my opinion, who really cares what other people think? the only real problem that i have is finding information regarding specific parts on these newer cars since mitsubishi isnt always public on there info.
Generally my motorcycle is my modification target, but i managed to crash it so its in the stages of being re-built, its a salvage title (totaled vehicle) and the vast majority of people tell me that its not worth my time or money, its got absolutely no value, but i cant stop playing with it and it has sentimental value to me. long story short I see nothing wrong with doing as you please as long as you know it's only going to be for personal gain.

Last edited by Hantke; Jun 22, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by badlooser
dang I am trying to make my Evo look like a lancer.lol
nah make it look like a honda civic, that'd actually be semi-entertaining to see
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by chuchurockit
Tell me about it! haha ... the Lancer isn't the slowest car around, but I'm self-proclaimed slowest driver in my club and no one argues. :P
Wouldn't mind a little more power though.
Lol. I'm with you brother. And driving a slow car saves so much money! Until corporate America decides to let me start a career, I will be driving my slow *** gts!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:18 PM

I've had run ins with people like that. Never pleasant but realistically speaking why would you let people like that dictate and influence the decisions you want to make in life? The only thing bigger than their ego is the chip on their shoulder. Hardly the kind of people who's opinions you need to take seriously.

As long as you are modding your car responsibly and safely, let the good times roll.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:11 AM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I think people (self included) are tired of seeing trying-too-hard Lancers riced to the nines.

Keep your mods tasteful and functional, and you'll shut up the naysayers.

Quick Reply: Why the Hate for Modding Lancers