Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Why the Hate for Modding Lancers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why the Hate for Modding Lancers

Well I just joined the forums I work at a Mitsu Dealership and I just picked up a brand new lancer 5spd. I was thinking about modding it a little I've owned a couple of really modded vehicles my last truck was a 500hp cummins . So once I get some miles on the lancer I was thinking about turboing it basically got flamed because its not an EVO WTF I understand its not AWD and what have you however I'm not shooting for 300hp maybe 220-240WHP so whats with the evo guys hating on modding a lancer???? I can turbo my lancer have a Frs and civic si smoking fun to drive car. Even with the total cost of my lancer with TT&L plus financing I could turbo it for about 5K still less than a ralliart would cost?
Sorry not trying to rant to much but I have just never seen a forum where you get scolded for wanting to mod something.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod it, I am sure no one cares, at the end of the day as long as it makes you happy, why care what others think.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't think anyone here (my opinion) cares if you mod your car, that's great...The problem is when people try to make their car a copy of an evo with cheapo/garbage body kits and try too damn hard to pass off their car as an "Evo".
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have always lived by the idea that everyone has their own ideas for a vehicle. Just because you like a slammed car doesn't mean the next guy will. You'll never please everyone, do your own thing and as long as you are satisfied with it then who cares. I respect everyone's ideas/takes on their vehicle because its their vehicle, its what they want to do, not what you want them to do.

Now my opinion about the whole turbocharging a non turbo lancer, if you feel that is what you want to do, go for it. Don't let anyone else change your decision. However having turbo'd a car that wasn't turbo to begin with in the past, my thoughts are this:

1. How reliable do you need this car to be?
2. Do you plan on doing it right, with the right parts and supporting mods?
3. If it voids the warranty, are you ok with that (being that its new)?

Obviously that particular vehicle wasn't designed with a turbo setup from the factory, there are plenty of well known companies that design with a lot of r&d reliable kits for a lot of cars that provide reliable power and longevity. I think for a lot of people its more of a practicality stand point, is it practical to turbo a non turbo car, when a turbo version is offered? Cost, reliability, etc... That answer is really up to you, if it was a matter of $4k or $5k difference, I would say you should have bought the turbo version, but the prices between a Evo and Lancer are pretty big brand new.

Build the car, build it right with the right parts and people will respect it.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

EVO Owner flaming Lancer owner modding to be like evo=big brother picking on little brother, that's my analogy on it i guess
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

All good replies gents. OP... do you sir!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Id totally agree with the big brother analogy..plus it is a good idea when you see new ppl especially wanting to mod the bejeezus out of a car that the results you're looking for doing up an econo car will be much more difficult than slapping on a few bolt ons.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I respect anyone who is an auto enthusiast and wants to mod their car... Its best to start with a decent platform to keep end costs down. I only hate on fools when they do something stupid...

Like rolling fenders to fit fat tires... If my tire was to lean in with 3+ degrees of camber i would go get an alignment... And if my fender ever bent like people do i would claim my insurance... If you wanna mod do it right... Fender flares or widebody...
That crap is like shattering your windsheild and saying it help wind resistance or the spider effect looks good... No so much...

Rant over
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
I respect anyone who is an auto enthusiast and wants to mod their car... Its best to start with a decent platform to keep end costs down. I only hate on fools when they do something stupid...

Like rolling fenders to fit fat tires... If my tire was to lean in with 3+ degrees of camber i would go get an alignment... And if my fender ever bent like people do i would claim my insurance... If you wanna mod do it right... Fender flares or widebody...
That crap is like shattering your windsheild and saying it help wind resistance or the spider effect looks good... No so much...

Rant over
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:43 AM

No not wanting to make an evo look alike . I'm going to just do an intake exhaust for a while let the drivetrain get broken in and start putting together a turbo kit together.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by donzilla2004
I have always lived by the idea that everyone has their own ideas for a vehicle. Just because you like a slammed car doesn't mean the next guy will. You'll never please everyone, do your own thing and as long as you are satisfied with it then who cares. I respect everyone's ideas/takes on their vehicle because its their vehicle, its what they want to do, not what you want them to do.

Now my opinion about the whole turbocharging a non turbo lancer, if you feel that is what you want to do, go for it. Don't let anyone else change your decision. However having turbo'd a car that wasn't turbo to begin with in the past, my thoughts are this:

1. How reliable do you need this car to be?
2. Do you plan on doing it right, with the right parts and supporting mods?
3. If it voids the warranty, are you ok with that (being that its new)?

Obviously that particular vehicle wasn't designed with a turbo setup from the factory, there are plenty of well known companies that design with a lot of r&d reliable kits for a lot of cars that provide reliable power and longevity. I think for a lot of people its more of a practicality stand point, is it practical to turbo a non turbo car, when a turbo version is offered? Cost, reliability, etc... That answer is really up to you, if it was a matter of $4k or $5k difference, I would say you should have bought the turbo version, but the prices between a Evo and Lancer are pretty big brand new.

Build the car, build it right with the right parts and people will respect it.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143

Rant over
Might wanna talk facts lol. Ive been on both sides hell i turbo'd my 02 lancer and still have it as well as my '12 evo x. Oh 3 degrees of camber is nothing thats my front alignment for track you can hardly tell unless you look at it as well as "rolled" fenders.

Name:  1D657471-2C8E-45E9-8FBE-1707BCEA63A7-4870-00000646A2C830F5.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  383.4 KB

In the end mod how you want dont let others get you down its your car and your money.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ryancb
Might wanna talk facts lol. Ive been on both sides hell i turbo'd my 02 lancer and still have it as well as my '12 evo x. Oh 3 degrees of camber is nothing thats my front alignment for track you can hardly tell unless you look at it as well as "rolled" fenders.

In the end mod how you want dont let others get you down its your car and your money.
Sorry to change subject, what type of scoop is that??? I like! I've seen it before can't remember who makes it. Rexspeed?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.rexpeed.net/2012/en/produ...php?serial=284
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:26 PM

OK I'm pro-modding an N/A to turbo but I've also been through 3 blocks on my 08 Lancer. I don't know if it's my bad luck or what but I haven't done anything other people have done and they don't have near the amount of problems. With that being said, the next block I'm getting in a month or so from AMS has much better internals than the factory motor will EVER wish they had. Hell, it's even got better internals than a factory Evo X and they are only asking around $2500 for the shortblock. After 3 blocks, I wish I would have gone this route first. Sure, RRM offers a 7psi (tested and tuned) turbo kit for the N/A's and swears that it is safe...but who the hell wants to run only 7psi?? Not me.

Long story short, the Evo guys are probably flaming you because they know that the N/A lancer's internals aren't built for that and for the cost of doing what has taken me 3 blocks to learn would have easily landed me a gently used Evo X. It all comes back to if you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. HOWEVER, mod on...I know I am!!

Quick Reply: Why the Hate for Modding Lancers