Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake, throttle body, and exhaust vs. piggyback ECU???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Intake, throttle body, and exhaust vs. piggyback ECU???

I just got my 2002 automatic Lancer ls and I don't know which mods. I should do? What would be the better modification to make? The first choice would be the piggyback for the ECU and the second choice would be a combination of a cold air intake, throttle body, and possibly exhaust. I can't afford to do both of the choices, so I'm trying to decide which one would be better and give me the most horsepower increase. Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:50 PM

u would have to do a short ram instead of a cold air intake cause u gots an auto.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

YA true - but something im trying to work with in the little spare time i have is custom piping a pipe so i can have some sort of cold air in my auto.

Im not really sure how these mods would compare against each other. I believe most people on these forums who have the piggback ECU have those mods or some of them to go along with it, and if im not mistaken on hte RRM site it says like 15% gain depending on mods? Or am i wrong with that?

SO if you just go ECU you could get some gain but not see as much as othre people are talking about who have an intake, exhaust and headers or atleast an intake and exhaust.

I would say you could call RRM and talk to them because they would probably be able to help you more than most poeple here (not dissing anyone, just saying its RRM's product and they know it best)
Old Mar 19, 2004, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

well the performance of the ecu is based on the mods you already have on your car... thats why the mention a 10% increase rather than a set number... its meant to increase the effect of any aftermarket parts already existing in your car
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the list you've got I would say go with intake, exhaust, header and scratch the tb. Those parts together will probably give you more power than the piggyback alone.

Once those parts are on, then move on to the piggyback and get the most out of your engine.

On a pretty much stock engine 100whp(roughly), piggy back will get you what 10hp + torque. A set of used header will cost you half the price and give you pretty much the same gain. Right?

And don't forget... if you go piggyback, it means you're ready to fill up your tank with premium(everytime ) and pay the extra cost.

Last edited by blaze_125; Mar 19, 2004 at 06:34 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 07:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I agree with blaze. Get the bolt-ons first and then get the piggyback to maximize the setup. Also, I don't know if I want premium gas 24-7, so I started with the easy stuff.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

i heard that all this will be replaced when i get my turbo... is this true? and the ecu will have to be remapped into the computer of the car? i was wondering if this is true or not
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by KoreanEvoVII
i heard that all this will be replaced when i get my turbo... is this true? and the ecu will have to be remapped into the computer of the car? i was wondering if this is true or not
if you get an RRM header, you can use with their turbo setup. CAI would be replaced, as would SRI. They filter air in but not via that method. the turbo has its own intake

as for TB, you can use it with the turbo but would likely want to get intake manifold ported and polished as well ??

you could then get the Piggyback ECU re-flashed for the turbo. the piggyback is just that, an add-on to the car, it doesn't replace or "reflash" the computer ecu. it works with it.

hope this helps.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

aight cool, cause im thinkin of getting turbo for my lancer really soon, like in august or something. wouldnt the intake manifold replace the headers?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:04 PM
Account Disabled

^your header is your exhaust manifold...if you go turbo then youll need a turbo manifold
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:22 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a good way to decide.

Lancer dyno results

As you can see, the piggyback has the best power curve with the same peak numbers as the mods you listed. I prefer the power curve, since you aren't racing at one RPM. But as said above, you have to run premium fuel once you get the piggyback. And as for visual appeal (if that matters to you), you can hear and see intake, exhaust and header. You don't see or hear a piggyback. Also, you get the most out of a piggyback after you put the bolt-ons along with it. Hope that helps!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since the piggyback changes your a/f ratio it does change the sound a bit...mine changed a lot when i put the pb ecu in. personally i like it a little bit better. it sounds bad ***...but without the bolt on mods and tranny work the pb ecu wouldn't have done as much as it did for me. i'd go with the bolt ons first then the pb ecu.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

sweet...one year later
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:49 PM

So what piggyback Ecu is the best? I have (Intake, header, exhuast, etc...but no piggyback) Will the piggyback hurt your engine at all? Or shorten the lifespan? please help if you know.... Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the RRM PIggyback made by Split Second is the only option as far as piggybacks go...A standalone would be the only other option...As far as the RRM Piggy goes, i have nothing but good things to say about it. You could prolly search and the thread about the bumpy idle and such. Should help you decide whether you wanna get it or not.. As far as damaging your engine...i have no clue but i'm pretty dam sure that the only thing that would shorten the lifespan of your engine would be your addiciton to stepping on the accelerator after getting all the mods... good luck

Quick Reply: Intake, throttle body, and exhaust vs. piggyback ECU???