Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Interesting read on grounding systems.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read on grounding systems.

Here is an interesting read on grounding systems. Enjoy.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nicktutt420
too lazy to read.....whats the end result.....
This article discusses the science behind grounding systems. It doesn't come out and say if grounding systems are a good thing or a bad thing. What I find most interesting is that the article doesn't even give a review of the different systems they used to supposedly test the grounding theory. It's just a lot of science and not allot of test data to back any argument up one way or the other. One thing at the end of the article that I found interesting was this statement:

“So if the ignition system is adequately grounded no amount of more grounding can do any good.”

The argument, which this article does not conclusively put to rest, is if the ignitions system, or anyother part of the engine is, indeed, adequately grounded. (note they only used two cars for this supposed test)

This article does nothing to substantiate any claims that grounding kits work or do not work. More importantly different cars have different stock grounding systems, and different grounding points. Some cars will benefit more from grounding systems over others. But I think that it is safe to say that all cars would benefit from larger gauge cables over the stock wires.

Our lancer has very cheap thin wires as stock grounds, interestingly the same wires as the Evo. The article also goes into an analogy about the wires on the car being like water pipes in a house, and that larger water pipes mean less drop in water pressure when two or more faucets are being used. While this analogy serves the purposes of trying to convey the point that larger wires/pipes, are a good thing the writer of the article does nothing to say so out right. So I will, larger gauge wires to the stock grounds are better for the car’s electrical system and everything attached.

If you need kudos or condemnations about grounding kits just ask any of the several thousands of individuals who have put a kit on their car, and it becomes clear, grounding kits work. They help with the dimming of lights, make car audio sound clearer, and improve the flow of electricity to all parts of the engine.

As for dynoed results, I doubt that you'd see appreciable HP numbers from a kit... this is more about the electrical system then about a HP mod. In short dynojets only measure power as translated into HP numbers and not electrical resistance or efficiency. To test the efficiency of these wires you would have to measure the stock grounds over the aftermarket kits, which this article does not.

What I have found with my kit is that acceleration is much smoother and in my assesment improved as a result of having larger grounding wires. While smooth acceleration might not be translated as better or larger HP numbers I think that it is well worth it.

Fox
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Grounding kits are pretty much something that you put on and does something but can't really put a finger on it for hp gains.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Uh, didn't I say I was too lazy to read......

You're a dumbass. If that's too much to read then get off of the forum and go watch tv. If your too lazy to read then why are you on a forum where reading is madatory?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Uh, didn't I say I was too lazy to read......
yes you did... So for the ultra digest version: The article says, "I dunno... they could be good?"

Fox
Old Mar 26, 2005, 02:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think my "too lazy to read" response would be "too lazy to read, too lazy to know".

Not a bad read, though honestly not what I expected.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

interesting?...maybe...useful?...not so much
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fifty
You're a dumbass. If that's too much to read then get off of the forum and go watch tv. If your too lazy to read then why are you on a forum where reading is madatory?
Wow...talk about a direct attack on another member. I recall that violating some forum rules...or were YOU too big of a what-you-called-him to read the rules as required when registering?

Hey Hobie! I wish you still had mod powers!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sailorgoon
Wow...talk about a direct attack on another member. I recall that violating some forum rules...or were YOU too big of a what-you-called-him to read the rules as required when registering?

there were rules?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
there were rules?

Not since the last time i checked....
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah when did that change? Sorry for the OT.

WADAD
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Have me banned then.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't we all just get along?

Anyway, back on topic. I had a grounding kit in my Lancer for about 6 months and I saw no real difference. I was using 4 gauge with 6 grounding points. And still whenever I would roll two windows up at the same time, all my lights would dim, RPM dropped, windows barely moved. I wasn't convinced that the grounding wires helped. Now thats not to say that perhaps it was "user" error - but I didn't think it was worth having giant 4 gauge wires drapped around my engine bay..... my $.02
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
Can't we all just get along?

Anyway, back on topic. I had a grounding kit in my Lancer for about 6 months and I saw no real difference. I was using 4 gauge with 6 grounding points. And still whenever I would roll two windows up at the same time, all my lights would dim, RPM dropped, windows barely moved. I wasn't convinced that the grounding wires helped. Now thats not to say that perhaps it was "user" error - but I didn't think it was worth having giant 4 gauge wires drapped around my engine bay..... my $.02
Might be the way it was grounded... cause with my kit I noticed that my lights aren't dimming and I can have my A/C on, with my radio blasting and there's no fade in the lights like when it wasn't on.

Fox
Old Mar 27, 2005, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

I just thought the read was interesting to say the least. IMO after reading it just seemed thata grounding kit just isn't worth it for the most part. In other words it does nothing for you in most cases.