Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Why do so many of you guys use Kumho's?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2003, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm and what about the MIchelin tyres? and the Pirellis... i Want to know what the expert has to say... because these 2 brands are used in the WRC, and they are very very abused!!
Attached Images  
Old May 11, 2003, 06:27 PM

.... tswift...... i can wait,,,
Old May 11, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

[ How many championships has Kuhmo won in the past? I'll tell you, NONE! Yokohama was the tire that won 8 championships in the GT class for the Factory BMW team and the World Challange Championship in the late 90's with Ferrari. [/B][/QUOTE]

Kumho has won championships in SCCA Solo II and at the Valvoline Runoffs in Showroom Stock in the 90's. They do not have the tire of choice now (Hoosiers are the choice, but expensive and trade treadlife for that stick), but as a general rule, their R-compound tire is acceptable and does not suffer any fundamental flaws in construction.

Yoko does make an DOT (A032R H and now S compounds)approved r-compound tire for the dry, but it shines in the wet, but lacks the shear grip for the dry conditions. Noisy as can be on the road too! I do not know how the S compond compares to the H, but the set I had was competitive at a regional level, but showed weakness when compared to tires at a divisional level. Yokohama just reinstated their contingency program for SCCA Solo II.

I have no experience with Kumho street tires, but the price dictates that they have had to cut corners somewhere since their overall marketshare in the U.S. is low. They cannot offset the low cost of "performance" tires by selling millions of tires for family cars.

Last edited by jason33hs; May 18, 2003 at 11:16 AM.