Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

09 Lancer GTS...should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Lancer GTS...should I buy?

Hey all, as you may have guessed by my user name I've been a Subaru guy for...well since I started driving. I've had a Tacoma since October that I am now looking to sell for something more fuel efficient and sporty. I'm looking at brand new cars only and for the first time ever I find myself questioning my loyalty to Subaru. A friend has a Lancer ES sport and I was so impressed with the car and what he paid for it I had to look into it further. The Lancer GTS with the sun and sound package is just so damn cheap compared to the Impreza of comparable trim. The thing is I can't decide if i wanna go the extra bills and get a new WRX and have that turbo power, and one of a kind Subaru sound or drop in on a Lancer GTS which has good power and options that on a Subaru run up into the 28,000 region. I'm looking for some quality reassurance here from Mitsubishi owners really. I'd never be caught in a 3, Corolla or Sentra so is the Lancer really up there with the Impreza in quality or is it all just an opinion?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sort of in the same struggle, im looking at either a near base Volkswagen GTI with 0% financing offers from dealers, or a fully loaded Lancer GTS, probably with a 3-5% interest rate.

I like the Lancers tech features a lot, but i like the GTI's power and steering(from what i have read, i have yet to test drive one). GTI interior seems better to, outside of the plaid seats.

Last edited by He15man; Jul 2, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Smile You have a point.

When I was shopping for my Evo IX MR last year, my dad and I thought the price of the fully loaded new Lancer also was very good. My dad asked how come I didn't want the '08 Lancer GTS compared to the new Evo IX. The two cars are worlds apart in performance, but my dad still had a very good point for me. But I still stuck with the high-performance evo that I truly loved. Honestly, I really don't like the quality of Mitsubishi's now days, even though they have so many options for the higher models. What's the price you're getting on the Lancer GTS that you're interested in?

Last edited by nawaz; Jul 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:09 PM

imo the lancer is a great buy i think a lot of people have a hard time comparing it to cars in its class cuz there really isnt. it has way more tech features then a regular mazda 3 but has the sporty look and handling compared to a speed 3 but lacks the engine. it looks better then the new gti but again lacks the speed. it cant even be comp[ared to the corrola cuz i do not believe people that go after the new lancer even consider the new corrola a sports car. i believe the lancer is worth the money but at the end of the day when your paying less for a car you are getting what you pay for the new wrx has awd a huge difference aswell as alot more horses. so you have to consider if you are going to be the person who goes for comfort and looks of the new gts and do not see yourself crying about the lack or hp or when ur zipping around town in the wrx think about if your going to be crying you dont have bluetooth or a 30gigbyte harddrive. so basically what i am saying if you like a car that looks good and handles well but really can not be compared to other cars then the new lancer gts is for you. good luck
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Lancer doesn't have much power or AWD (Which sucks when going through slaloms at 60mph+) and its easy to loose control of at higher speeds when precise steering is needed because of the torque steer. I've lost control twice because this car has FWD and not RWD or AWD. But as far as handling, the Lancer is great, on the skid pad it had higher Lateral G's than the new RA coming out, and the body feels solid through alot of turns, I never once thought i was going to flip the car because of turning too fast.

In my opinion, I would have went with a WRX or Speed3(maybe, main issue is FWD) or GTI given the chance again, but if you don't plan on racing the car, the Lancer GTS is an Amazing car for comfort and technology and looks.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

go with the lancer, def get the 09 gts model cause it has the larger engine (2.4 instead of 2.0) extra 16 horsepower or so... i would also recommend getting the navigation system as well as the sun/sound package.. oh yea and get a manual transmission too
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

wrx or mazda speed3 haha(speed3 is pretty cheap). when i bought my gts... my intention was to get a used wrx. i regret not getting it. lancers lack power
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Get the ralliart when it comes out.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

08 lancers lack power, the 09 GTS ones have sufficient power and torque
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you want power, the choice is obvious, if your thing is features and electronics, get the lancer.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If you want power, the choice is obvious, if your thing is features and electronics, get the lancer.
Thats the thing with me, im not sure which i want.

GTI seems to get more high praise than a Lancer, and VW is a better company than Mitsubishi or so it seems.

If i had the cash i would just buy an EVO MR fully loaded and would not have any problems.

But i am a college kid
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well I can tell you that AWD is a big plus and if you want big power, you'll appreciate having more than 2 wheels to put it to the ground.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by He15man
Thats the thing with me, im not sure which i want.

GTI seems to get more high praise than a Lancer, and VW is a better company than Mitsubishi or so it seems.

If i had the cash i would just buy an EVO MR fully loaded and would not have any problems.

But i am a college kid
your kidding right? VW reliability ratings are far lower than mitsu right now...between those two, the lancer would be the obvious choice to me, especially with a better warranty and more tech. Pricewise to the GTI, get a ms3 or wait for the ralliart. The ms3 will run with STi's or EVo's on the highway and will surely put a smile on your face. But for tech, nothing beats the lancer, its the best feature/dollar car out there right now.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:45 AM

yeah after scrolling down this page reading responses i have realized a few things. A. there's crazy people out there that still think GTI's are cool cars for guys and 2. well I can't think of two but theres some stuff there that might help me make a decision. The big call really is will the Lancer give me enough of a power thrill and having all the nice options make up for not having a turbo to shoot of the line with when some douche in a BMW is revving it up at a light? Its a tough call i wish the WRX was price competitive with the GTS..ah in a perfect world.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

The GTI is a very nice car, I don't see any reason to dislike them other than because they're VW. There's no way the WRX would be competitive with the GTS since they're not even in the same league, you might as well ask for an M3 to be priced competitively with a Ralliart.

Quick Reply: 09 Lancer GTS...should I buy?