Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awww, I hope you are okay, people are more important than cars, so as long as you are okay..

anyways, the dealership in my city are installing intakes and exhaust in peoples cars as accessories. today I saw one in the showroom that had been "sold to Tony" which had a catback exhuast, injen intake, and a few other things done to it... no clue, I doubt they would sell the car with things that would void warranty out the door, unless they really want to make money in a shady way.

what part of your car got damages?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Some dealerships are OK with parts while others have a zero tolerance policy. Technically they can deny coverage if the part can be blamed.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thats true. check your dealership to see what aftermarket parts they offer, and then ask them if it would void the warranty, if they say no, then tell them to put it in writing.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:23 PM

alright thats good adivce. thanks.

but yeah, in the accident just my rear bumper got effed up a little.
i was lucky though, it was a pretty big chain reaction and the other 8 cars behind me that all crashed as well had to be towed from the scene. im just lucky i didnt hit the car in front of me... it was a brand new porsche.

and there was a bug in the middle of it all... sooo messed up... and on fire. haha. german engineering... hah!

but... i just effing love california traffic....
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

i just caught on video a sales person talking to me and saying how they'll install the intake and catback, lowering springs and it will all have the warranty. but get it in writing for sure
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Hi and welcome to the forums!

My advice would be to start reading. Check the threads, even if they don't apply to your specific car. There is a wealth of information about modifications, dealership issues, and what brands work best. Get acquainted with the search feature, and study up on what you want to do to your lancer.

Everyone in the forum could help you out more if you provided what you would like to do with the car. Are you more cosmetic or performance minded? Performance and aesthetics are so subjective, so often times it's best to set your own goals and ask others how best to achieve them (instead of asking questions like "What looks better, this bumper or this bumper?)

Also, people will throw out some crazy information at you. You need to learn to sift through this as car modification can be expensive and you need to be informed. Someone earlier in the thread recommended a BIG BRAKE KIT. Unless you are racing, you will see barely any benefit from this and it make even hamper performance for casual driving. Big brake kits are designed to dissipate heat from the brakes. Want better brakes for the street? Get some good pads, thats it. Big Brake kits are also totally expensive, and will void out part (as ambystom said) of your warranty. Everything in a car is connected in some way, but installing an engine intake won't void your suspension warranty etc.

It's great that you have come to this forum for advice. With enough research you can create the car you want in a cost effective way. Don't be like me and purchase several kinds of the same part because I jumped the gun and didn't research enough. Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Coilovers are great if you have the money to buy a big name kit (not Megans but KW, Ohlins, Bilstein) and the time to get them tuned right.

whats wrong with megans?

i dont mean to be rude just curious to see if theres a problem w/ them
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it will completely void your warranty. It will void that particular part that you install as far as warranty goes. Unless I'm being screwed by the dealer because that's what the service writer told me when I ask her about warranty and my mods to my Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shutout809
whats wrong with megans?

i dont mean to be rude just curious to see if theres a problem w/ them
They're a cheap coilover, this comes with tradeoffs.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I always heard that they are a good product tho... dont they offer great features like rear pillowball mounts rear dampening...etc and don't the cars from rrm have megans installed? those guys dont seem like the type to skimp out on their project cars?

i even found an old post where you say that megans have more to offer than teins:
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Megans come with more things like camber plates, pillowball upper mounts and metal mounts.
what kind of tradeoffs do you mean?
just curious bc i was going to get megans but ive searched to find problems with them that people have i cant find anything which seems too good to be true so if you have any info ide really appreciate it

sorry if im getting off topic i dont mean to be

Last edited by shutout809; Mar 27, 2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

I always heard that they are a good product tho... dont they offer great features like rear pillowball mounts rear dampening...etc

Didnt you have ksports on your car too and consider megans?

your just not the kind of guy that strikes me as someone who would buy a cheap mod

what kind of tradeoffs do you mean?
I had Ksports and wouldn't accept them as a gift now, they were terrible. The kind of tradeoffs I'm talking about are driveability and reliability. There is a reason why Ohlins, Bilsteins and KWs cost what they do.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm i see

so do you think that teins would last longer than megans?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm i see

so do you think that teins would last longer than megans?
Probably not, you're still dealing with an entry level kit. Moreover the japanese kits seem to always be valved way more aggressive than anyone else. Given the options, Megans are likely the best but that's not saying much. For a daily driver, I think a good spring and strut combination is better.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

then sorry to bother... just wonder will I void my warranty by changing my hood into EvoX stock hood...??

Thanks,
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

but i thought there was no spring and strut combination for the 02-03 lancer?