Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, im new to this whole asking strange men for advice on the internet.. but... screw it.

... i just bought a 2009 lancer and i want to do something with it.... but i dont know what yet....

will most everything i put in it void my warranty??
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

i'll void your warranty...
...sorry...OT moment.
lets get on topic shall we?
what are you looking for? looks? performance?
if you want to do looks, things like rims, window tint, and bolt on accessories (like cf hoods or r.a. tail lights) do not void your warranty... but when you start getting technical like lowering the suspension, or adding HIDs, you void certain warranties. (like the suspension or electrical warranty)
performance modifications are iffy... most dealerships do not have a problem with something like an exhaust system, but when you get into intakes and other engine mods, sometimes they just do not agree.
take some time and go through the 08+ lancer forums, you will find a lottt of information here... also use the search option to narrow things down...
if you have any problems and cannot find a previous forum with the answers... just ask away.
good luck! (and welcome)
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

BTW: check our Road Race Motorsports for some cool (and easy) 'dressup' accessories:
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

let the leghumping begin......
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Said it good Razo!!!
And welcome in!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by razo
haha

sooooooooooo smooothh
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

^ lmao
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razo
)
And some people still wonder why this is a dominantly male forum.

Most cosmetic mods wont touch your warranty. If you plan to work on HP upgrades, you bought the wrong car.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

wow guys...

thanks i guess
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:42 PM

what if i bought used suspension or calipers or something off an evo... thats legit, right?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well if your worried about your warranty these are the following mods i would stick with. Although most of these CAN void your warranty in different ways they are less likely to and can easily be swapped back to stock.

Get a Short ram intake, its much easier to remove for trips to a dealer than a Cold air is. Road races short ram is a good start or k&n 's which is a bit more expensive.

As far as warranty and exhaust, you most likely wont have any problems with this, obviously theres no guarantee , heh , i recommend the greddy ti-c for a deep mean sound. steer clear of cheap exhausts such as the tsudo n1. if you want it to look more stock than get the road race exhaust.

if you didnt get the sun and sound package put an aftermarket headunit in there with the metra harness and scosche dash kit. get an amp and a sub and your set.

if you did get the sun and sound package i say stick with it for now unless you want to replace the factory amp and sub and wiring.

You can paint your engine plastic pieces to give it a better look, you can also paint your brake calipers and wheels.

check out some stuff evosoul has on his blog evosoul.com there are some cool lips and other body parts you can get for this lancer.

hope this helps.

Last edited by lancer0220; Mar 19, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: edit
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lisa13
what if i bought used suspension or calipers or something off an evo... thats legit, right?
just sawt his as i edited my post,

umm im not 100% on the suspension but using parts off the EVOX even though they are OEM will void your warranty. i know this sounds dumb but my dealer claimed to have voided my SRS airbag warranty for my seats because I installed the evo recaros, i just at them because they were just mad that I had to tell them how to fix the airbag light.

You would have to use the entire brake kit from the evo x not just the calipers. dont bother with the suspension i would just get some springs or megan coilovers. either way if you put springs on it and your alignment goes off or your struts go by bye your warranty wont cover it.

just paint your calipers red or blue its cheaper and still looks good.

its a risk to take , on my old 08 lancer i have 45k miles and havent had 0 warranty problem other than the tire wear and pulling to the left (dealer didnt fix anyway) on my 09 i have 16k miles and have had 0 warranty issues.

Last edited by lancer0220; Mar 19, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

brakes/calipers....get a big brake kit...why even spend the money for evo parts when u can 1 up em..roacracemotorsports.com have some kits, be prepared to drop a few g's...

suspension...like he said wit springs..teins r sick they give the biggest drop on stock shocks, gotta get a camber kit tho...and some have said that over time becaus eof the amount of drop it will warp ur stock shocks but i havent gotten verfication on that...there are afetrmarket shocks by KYB that are style oem stylie, they cheap too 100-200$ dont remember....

either way id still go coilovers tho... megan racing's are aight, some have said they had to drill extra holes for the rears because of megan's design..and theyre a bit rough for a ride..but they're coilovers what u expect....im still waitin for the tein coilovers that are supposed to be comin out next month according to RRm, they will be poste don tehir site. RRM's lancer already had the coilovers installed on their car, u can see pics n **** if u search on here, best way to go if u ask me..jus need the scrill
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Any and all mods can void your warranty if the dealer/area representative is sleazy. It's important to separate the warranty into areas though, just because you have a modified engine doesn't mean they can refuse service on your interior, electronics, brakes, etc. Engine parts are pretty straightforward, if you install an intake and blow your motor, they could easily argue that either the part caused it directly (made the engine run lean and hot) or that you installed it wrong and that caused the damage. Suspension parts are in the same boat, if you install coilovers and your control arms snap, they're unlikely to cover you. Even exterior parts are iffy in some cases but you'd have to find a real A-hole dealership that blames a lip for engine issues.
Anyways, if you're concerned about a warranty, keep the car stock from a performance standpoint. There are some things you can do like brake pads or an air filter (not intake). Exhaust is usually safe but double check with your local dealership. Evo parts are a no-no, first off they might not fit and second off, they weren't designed for the car so there's little to no chance in hell that they'll be covered.
Now to address the above post, BBKs are a waste of money unless you race constantly. They're expensive, they don't decrease your stopping distance (often times they increase it) and they can require larger rims (which further adds to the cost). Coilovers are great if you have the money to buy a big name kit (not Megans but KW, Ohlins, Bilstein) and the time to get them tuned right.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:36 AM

****in ****!
someone hit me on the 405 fwy yesterday and im ****ing MAD now