Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.
View Poll Results: which system?
GReddy Catback
47.47%
Magnaflow Catback
49.49%
Other
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

GReddy Catack or Magnaflow Catback?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GReddy Catack or Magnaflow Catback?

I ran a search and it seems that no one has made a thread for this since the magnaflow catback released, so what do you think? opinions? reviews? let's hear it! (and don't forget to vote!!)

GReddy:

rrm price: $469 + shipping ($499 for stainless)

Magnaflow:

note: the actual setup will come with catback piping.
rrm price: $379 + shipping
current group buy: $350 shipped
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=49466 <- group buy

Last edited by kensuke; Nov 18, 2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Heres the facts. Greddy has great street creed, plus their parent company Trust is well respected in Japan. Maganflow is a U.S. company that does work for many aftermarket tuners, including Roush.

So to that extent, they are about equal performance wise. Here is one thing to think about though, the Maganflow is all stainless steel, with Greddy you have to pay more for that option. Ive been waiting for almsot a year now for Maganflow to finish this catback off, and Ill be getting one as soon as I have the funds.

Cant go wrong with either setup, but for the price Maganflow just makes more sense to me.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:24 PM

get the whole set up from greddy. im sure it has great numbers compared to most. Greddy is not as loud though
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Speaking in terms of fluid dynamics and flow properties, the Greddy and Maganflow will be almost exact for performance. Trust me, both have the same pipe diameter, minimum number of bends, etc. Im not sure which will have the best gains, but really will 0.5 hp keep you up at night???
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Havn't heard how the Magnaflow CATBACK sounds.
The axleback from RRM sounds pretty good tho.
I like how the Greddy sounds.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Go Greddy! I looks way better, and every Greddy I've heard has a nice quiet purr until you open it up, then it's a throughty roar. My magnaflow axel-back is already loud enough with out the bigger piping.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by drummerjun
Havn't heard how the Magnaflow CATBACK sounds.
The axleback from RRM sounds pretty good tho.
considering the fact that they use the same muffler, it'll probably be close to the same.

what i would personally like to have: deep and throaty. i think that the magnaflow on other cars sounds pretty good...

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/import.htm
these are sound clips for a vr6 gti, a rsx, a miata, and a focus. i'm thinking that the miata and focus will have probably about the same sound as our car, but all 4 sound clips sound almost the same.

miata: 142 hp
focus: 130hp
vr6 gti: 200hp
rsx: 160hp

notice how the sound is pretty close and the engine varries. i would have to conclude that our car would be pretty damn close to sounding the same.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Guess no one cares about performance or durability........
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

HA! good point, doesn't the Greddy put out better numbers?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
Guess no one cares about performance or durability........
ideally, you'd go stainless w/ the greddy if you buy it. there's durability. if performance is almost equal between the two setups, then you call into questions other aspects (i.e. sound). some people like quiet and deep. others like loud and hi pitched. personally, i prefer throaty and deep, but it's hard to pull off on our car.

besides, in all honesty, this probably won't add more than 2-7 hp anyway. (look here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=49687) i would guess that you wouldn't get 7 hp off of a catback unless you had a good intake system, header+dp, and probably a testpipe or highflow.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Good post, agreed about not gaining much hp. Im just get worried though when people choose a catback on sound alone. That was my concern.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
Good post, agreed about not gaining much hp. Im just get worried though when people choose a catback on sound alone. That was my concern.
yea, no doubt man. hehe, if anyone's going for all looks and no perforance, get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443388723

honestly tho, i think it's all a matter of image. getting a good looking and good sounding exhaust is as important to people as buying rims before a body kit. no one really makes the rules, it's just a general consensus. i'm just not sure why someone would drop $500 on an exhaust if they wern't at all performance minded. ebay mufflers are only $30!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Id go for the Magnaflow stainless CATBack...infact think im gonna jump on this right away with RRM's price its good till sometime November. This beats paying more to stainless Greddy CATback system which will bring up to $560 if not mistaken...there all desame, serves the purpose!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

OT...
Anyway I could take the magnaflow catback to a muffler shop and get a different tip? I like the angled tip better..
not that it's necessary nor I'm really gonna do it...just wondering...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Greddy Evo Cat Back Exhaust. It's one of the best sounding exhausts for the Lancer in my opinion. I have heard a bunch of them too. I had the Magnaflow Axleback before the Greddy. Loved the Magnaflow too. Only reason why I upgraded was because the Greddy is a Catback with a bigger tip. I am sure the Magnaflow Catback will sound great too. But if you mean whether to get the Magnaflow Axleback, or Greddy Catback go with Greddy. Or just wait for the Magnaflow Catback.

Quick Reply: GReddy Catack or Magnaflow Catback?