Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Smoked Tail lights?!! :)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vht is good stuff just go very light at first and don't over do it
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

you can get away with it, but I know someone who was rear ended with tinted brake lights. The guy who hit him hired a lawyer who argued that the tail lights were illegally tinted...... it got really ugly really fast
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:54 AM

i used vht on my 2008 lancer es and it came out really well. i did it with like 4 coats so it was pretty dark but the stock bulbs were still very visible.

ive since then sold this car though. the dealership in paramus said the taillights helped sell the car even though it had like 75k miles on it for being an 08 model haha
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:28 PM

ok so now i'm interested in the head lights as well lol. what would you reccomend? just one coat of the VHT so its not too dark and then a clear coat? i want them to be shiny
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:30 PM

yeah i put two coats of clear coat. for the front id probably do one coat, see how dark it comes out.. if u feel like darker do one more before the clear coats. remember you cant undo it lol
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Rvinyl.com I think it is sells precut film for them they are like 25 bucks iirc
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:12 PM

theres a couple sites that sell pretty good quality precut tints for the lights.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pflores210
Rvinyl.com I think it is sells precut film for them they are like 25 bucks iirc
I used Rvinyl to smoke my lights. I smoked my taillights twice with vinyl. I switched to darker ones cuz the other ones were to light before

Before

After

Oh and those ambers on my tails are vinyl too. cheers
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:19 PM

nice. great photos man. im glad u posted them to see the difference between the vht and the vinyl
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good thing about vinyl is if u dont want them smoked anymore just take it off unlike vht idk what you do lol
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:40 PM

hahaha replace the tail light. or take airplane quality grade paint stripper too it lol hoping it doesnt mess up ur tail light lol

Last edited by depomps; Dec 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by SiK MaRiN3
Man i Just bought a lancer about 3 weeks ago and so far I've become obsesses with all things lancer. bought floor mats that say lancer, and i'm even thinking about getting the shift know and e-brake that say lancer on them lol. but anyway... back to the topic:
I've noticed Lancers with smoked tail lights, man those things are hot!!! I was wondering how I would get some. are there some aftermarkets that I can buy online or would i have to do it myself, and if i do do it myself, any advice somebody can give me??

Also, the chrome trim on the front bumper? I've seen the "lower grill garnish" available to buy online, but what about the top? I can't find it or i'm probably just not typing in the right things. help with that too? lol
You mean floor mats like these...

Not sure what exactly your talking about the grill part but I'm going to be ordering me this grill REAL SOON...

I personally don't think you should black out your tail's in less your car is black or you have a CF trunk but that's just my two cent's. Coming from someone who has blacked out tail's on my 06 Monte Carlo SS...

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Im in San Antonio also

As far as smoking the tailights you can always take them to a paint and body shop to get them done right that way clear is applied to them so that have a nice shine .
Yes Sir you are correct. Without that clear you will MESS your tail's up and the black will be flat as hell.

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Note: all states are illegal to modify your lights by spray painting them other than a clear coat.
True,but it all depends on the cop and I hate to say it but your vehicle as well.
In my 06 Monte Carlo SS with blacked out tails and "Monte Carlo" tint sticker

and have never got told anything about my tail light's.

know of any shops, cost efficient preferred.
Since your in the local area (San Antonio) you should check out JMS Shop off of FM78 in Converse. I also live in San Antonio just a few mile's from the JMS Shop

ok so now i'm interested in the head lights as well lol. what would you reccomend? just one coat of the VHT so its not too dark and then a clear coat? i want them to be shiny
Ewww,I would never tint/paint my headlight's just maybe black housing. In my opinion blacked out head light's is a little to over the top
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:12 PM

You should just get some black housing tail's and head light's

Like the new Lancer Tail's...

or if you want LED tail's here are some...

Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

tinted headlights IMO look very aggressive. in jersey were not allowed to have much tinting at all, however with a couple coats of vht i doubt it'll matter. it depends on the police that's around you. i havent gotten any problems with my blacked out tail lights on my 2008 lancer when i had it nor do i have any problems with my tints on my front two windows. it all depends on the local police that are around you. usually stateys have better things to do then pull over people for tinted light housings. i say if you want to black out your tail lights to do it and see how you like it. it doesnt matter if you don't have a black car or a CF trunk. it can definitely look really good if you don't have either. i know some people with 2008 lancers that have blacked out tail lights with the orange, blue, white, and grey. they all look sick. its all personal preference. if you like it, do it.

Last edited by depomps; Dec 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by depomps
tinted headlights IMO look very aggressive. in jersey were not allowed to have much tinting at all, however with a couple coats of vht i doubt it'll matter. it depends on the police that's around you. i havent gotten any problems with my blacked out tail lights on my 2008 lancer when i had it nor do i have any problems with my tints on my front two windows. it all depends on the local police that are around you. usually stateys have better things to do then pull over people for tinted light housings. i say if you want to black out your tail lights to do it and see how you like it. it doesnt matter if you don't have a black car or a CF trunk. it can definitely look really good if you don't have either. i know some people with 2008 lancers that have blacked out tail lights with the orange, blue, white, and grey. they all look sick. its all personal preference. if you like it, do it.
Here in Texas we are not allowed to have any tint on the rear,but they are *****y on the law in less their asses,as well as the front headlight AT ALL.

I know for a fact that you will get pulled over here for tinted or painted headlight's.

I've seen them on Mustang's and such and even on a black car it looked OKAY but any other color car I think it look's kinda ta key.

Quick Reply: Smoked Tail lights?!! :)