Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

RRM Piggyback ECU Review (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2004, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to go back to the beginning of this thread to find out how long my PB has been installed, but I have noticed some gas mileage gains since the weather here in Orlando has warmed up.
I got 276-280 or so miles out of 11 gallons of gas the other day, an improvement of 10 to 15 total miles approximately. I am using 91 regularly now instead of filling up with 93 I find the 91 octane somewhere. This next tank I am at 23x at quarter tank so I should get atleast another 40.

This is non highway driving.

WADAD
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

nice gas mileage gains
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah i have a check engin light on now too came on like 5 mins after soldering the wires...
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

so hows the performance gains on this 2002OZ?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

i dont want to answer that right now im not sure if its working right, it felt good before but know the whole car just feels bad right now there are other problems going on though ill post up when all is fixed.
Ryan
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I soldered all the wires this morning, let it idle for 30 minutes, then went on a 50 mile drive. Saw some cool cars for sale on that drive too. No check engine light so far, and I have no pushed it higher than 3500 RPMs. We'll see if everything holds up through the weekend. If everything is clear by Monday, I'll start pushing it more and see how everything feels at that time.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check engine light means something installed wrong. I have to start putting waigers on it cause I have been right too many times now. Only first couple boxes had some problems. After the first 8 boxes all the boxes get check/calibrated right before they go into the box so we know they are correct.

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

if you have the piggy back in get me on AIM so i can see whats wrong with mine crzydrivr23. Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

ok called rob and talked to boe for awhile went over everything gave me some suggestions will post up later today see how it responds, thanks for the help boe.
Ryan
Old Mar 28, 2004, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

OK. Here is the deal. We have bout 50 piggys out there right now. Yet there is about 5-10 of you with problems. 5 boxes came back and only one was found to be defective. We know of about 3 guys who competely installed the box wrong and once they reinstalled it correctly everything was fine. If you are getting a "check engine light" and do not have a header then something is wrong. Install? Box? We eliminated the boxes by checking them 3 times before shipping them. Is there something different about some peoples ECUs? We need to figure this out. We wnat everyone to be pleased with the product. You spent hard earned money and we spent time and money to make something that most people are pleased with. And most people are pleased.

I need to colllect info to figure out if there is a real problem or problem with instructions or different ECU on east coast or something. We cannot install them for you. Some people have a higher aptitude for installing this kind of thing but we will try to revise directions to head off any possible problems with installing the Piggy.

If you bought and installed a Piggy Send me an email with this inforomation

NAME
DATE YOU GOT THE PIGGY. Not the date you ordered it.
AUTO or 5 speed
STATE YOU LIVE IN.
SOLDIERED WIRE IN OR NOT
HEADER OR NO HEADER
PHONE NUMBER
DID YOU HAVE PROBLEMS OR NOT.

email
sales@roadracemotorsports.com
Do not PM or post info.

We want everyone to be happy and we will see to it that they are. Period!

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 28, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

its not possible cali got a different ecu then everyone else cuz of emissions is there?
Old Mar 28, 2004, 08:59 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Mitsu just used Cali emissions for all Lancers, therefore needing only one ECU.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

nothing else is going on here..........? I guess theres no point spending $400 + on this product. Not worth it
Old Apr 3, 2004, 09:19 AM

Well...here is my review...i have had this product on for about a week and a half. i did not solder the wires yet. i use to get about 200-250 miles per tank. now i get around 275-300 miles per tank of course taking it easy most of the time. all i can say is this...this ecu really does broaden your rpm range, give you a nice amount of power, and puts the hp where our engines need it! its much easier to get to 120 now.
my engine mods: intake, muffler, test pipe, grounding kit...dats it

ex: i raced a modded 240 from a roll at around 30mph. i took off in 2nd and grabed a 3-4 car lead the whole time up to 1??. too bad the guy was a dick and almost hit my car when he passed me after i slowed down. to make it even worse, he started to swerve after i slowed and almost hit a car and fishtailed almost hitting a wall...idiots these days...ayways, it was an easy kill indeed.
ps: dont the 3rd gen 240's have a 6cyl? oh well...

Edit: im using 93oct. Props to RRM!!!

Last edited by EvoLancerVll; Apr 3, 2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Seems like a number of people have been looking at the ECU pinouts the wrong way........

Here is what we found.

Look at the picture of pin 58... (5 speed) your connecting the yellow/black wire of
the piggy to the yellow wire on that connector... that is actually pin
of the ecu. You need to hook it to the green/white wire that is on the
other side of the connector... this is pin 58. You have it hooked up
wrong. The pic i've attached shows this. Sorry this has taken so long
but it seems to be just an install error. This should get you fixed up
quick.

For the guys that have been on the boards with an issue there are a bunch of emails to me that they solved their problem. BUt people only post when they have a problem.
>
Here are a couple of emails I pasted in.

everyhting works good now. Dont know what it was. Thanks for your time, will look forward to buying parts again/

Mark-E-Mark
hey rob...checked all the connections...and one was ehhhh....it was da black wire from the stock harness that still had a lil insulation on it...so i redid it and checked all conections and redid them anyways to make sure....soo far...sooo good....even a smoother idle and more quiet then before!!!!

before i go...you guys rock...not only with products but with Customer Service!!!!

Garrick

ROAD/RACE
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: RRM Piggyback ECU Review (merged)