Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

RRM Piggyback ECU Review (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Piggyback ECU Review

DAY 1

Total mileage driven with PB = 25 miles

I just got my RRM Piggyback ECU today and promised Rob that I would install it as soon as possible and write up a review on it. This review will be expanding from the initial review as the ECU needs to learn for a few days for different driving conditions. I'll refer to the piggyback as PB from now on.

For reference I only have an RMR axle back. The AEM intake is awaiting prep and paint right now.

1. Installation:
Disconnect the battery before you do anything.
The install is as simple as you can get. I followed the RRM instructions to the T and overall it was very simple. The only thing I did different was I unbolted the ECU just so I could get at it easier.
A. The installation is just using the provided hardware to tap into three wires of the stock harness, cutting one wire, and splicing the PB wires into the cut wire.
B. There is also a vacuum line included which needs to be T'd into a stock vacuum line. The line to splice into is the one coming from the passenger side of the intake manifold to the top of the fuel pressure regulator. I disconnected it from the manifold side, cut a piece of the supplied line, and put them all together.
C. Mounting the PB has yet to be done. I found a few good places for it to go, but do not have the hardware to get it done right now. There is a plastic bar going right behind the glovebox. I plan on putting the PB behind that bar as it fits perfectly.

2. ECU Learning:
I let the car idle for 10 minutes as instructed and then drove around for 20 minutes not revving the engine higher then 3500. The idle loops around a bit and sometimes the car acted like it wanted to stall. It didn't stall at all. After turning the car off and doing some quick shopping I came back and turned the car on again. The idle was still looping a bit, but not as bad as before. Then I drove it hard back to my house.

3. Impressions:
There are a few things promised with the PB. One is better gas mileage. I'll have to come back to that, which will take about a week for me to go through a tank of gas. The second is a flatter fuel curve. I could tell right away things were different.
A. Accelerating from 2000-3000 was nice and smooth as opposed to "bouncy" as it was before.
B. In lower gears (1-4) acceleration is drastically improved.
C. I can feel power all the way up through around 5500/6000, then it tapers off. This is greatly different than stock, which I felt the power bleed off around 4000.
D. Throttle response increased.

4. Overall:
I'll be better able to give my opinion on bang for the buck once the ECU learns everything and the idle looping goes away. RRM ensured me the ECU will learn in time (but not an immense amount of time). So far, I feel this mod beats out anything you can buy that bolts on. I give it .

DAY 2

Total mileage driven with PB = 90 miles

Driving consisted of warming up car in the morning, driving to work, driving home from work, and driving my friend home.

The loopy idle seems to be getting better. When shifting into nuetral and rolling to a stop at traffic lights the RPMs dip to 500, then back up to normal idle. The PB looks like it's having to learn every single aspect of using accessories. The idle is less loopy on fan setting 2 and 3, and has a little more trouble when it's set at 1 and 4. This is probably because I use those settings less often, thus it has not had time to learn. The loopy idle only happens for the first few seconds when stopping at a light or parking, then the idle settles at around 750-800 like it should be.

Gas mileage looks to be increased as I am at 68 miles on the new tank and the needle is still above the 3/4 mark. I'm hoping to get just over 100 miles for a 1/4 a tank, which would lead to 32mpg. The most likely scenario though would be right around 100.

DAY 3,4,5

Total mileage driven with PB = 265 miles

The idle is still loopy, but seems to be getting better each day. On day 4 it was quite warmer than it has been (40 degrees versus 5) and the idle was really jumpy, which I assume was because of the major change in outside temperature. This morning on the way to work the idle would drop right after stopping, then it would go up to 750/800 RPMs, which is very close to stock idle. The car has never stalled out due to idle difficulties. The gas light should be coming on tonight or tomorrow, so after an entire tank of gas I'm hoping the PB will have learned everything and my idle will be back to normal all the time.

Last edited by livelyjay; Feb 9, 2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

thats awesome. Im looking very forward to get one. But right now 500$ is too much, but maybe in a couple months

nice write up and review
Old Feb 4, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Livelyjay I have a question.

Where did you run the vacuum line from the PB to the Manifold? As in what hole in the firewall did you use? I am going to do the install on Saturday so I haven't looked under the glove box yet but I want to know if there is an obvious entry to the engine bay.

WADAD
Old Feb 4, 2004, 08:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Figure 50 miles for learning to get done. Drive it normal for a while first though. Seems to be best that way. Thanks for the review.

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Feb 4, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WADADLIG_OZ
Where did you run the vacuum line from the PB to the Manifold?
I had the same question. If you look under your hood, behind the passenger side strut, there is a rubber grommet sitting on the firewall. Just push it in and there is your passage for the vacuum line.

Originally posted by ROCK
Drive it normal for a while first though
I'll keep that in mind from now on. I pushed it a little bit already, but I'll keep it at a normal pace for a few days.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dunno if this is applicable depends on the line...

but on the driver side by the dead pedal...if u open the door there are wires that come in through there....look in Audio/Security and read the Sub/Amp How-to...i ran some wiring through there to power my neons/strobes
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Cool! Sounds like a good mod that I am totally missing out on!
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

so you get 12 hp on stock exhaust and intake? or with all them included with the ecu. cause $ 1000 with intake exhaust and the ecu only give 12 hp then it is not all that good.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by thereasonsf3
so you get 12 hp on stock exhaust and intake? or with all them included with the ecu. cause $ 1000 with intake exhaust and the ecu only give 12 hp then it is not all that good.
Well, I have an axle-back exhaust, which really doesn't do anything but change the note of the exhaust. So I'm basically all stock. So really it's still $430 for 12-18 hp increase, which is pretty good compared to any other mod. A header will only give you 6hp at most, intake will give you 5hp at most, and the other RRM goodies will give you about 3hp each. So really this is the most bang for the buck, and you get better gas mileage (claimed, not proven yet, give me a week).
Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Drive02Lancer
but on the driver side by the dead pedal...if u open the door there are wires that come in through there....look in Audio/Security and read the Sub/Amp How-to...i ran some wiring through there to power my neons/strobes
Yes there is an access grommet in that spot, but it's on the opposite side of the car. Just use the spot I explained and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

BUMP

* Updated review with day 2 information *
Old Feb 6, 2004, 06:24 PM
In Timeout

Re: RRM Piggyback ECU Review

Originally posted by livelyjay
Gas mileage looks to be increased as I am at 68 miles on the new tank and the needle is still above the 3/4 mark. I'm hoping to get just over 100 miles for a 1/4 a tank, which would lead to 32mpg. The most likely scenario though would be right around 100.
Im not stock and I hit 100 miles before the niddle hits the 3/4 mark, and I hit 200 miles by about half tank... and I still usually only get about 300 miles before the gas light comes on. You must realize that the first half of the tank lasts nearly twice as long as the sencond half.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Is that highway on non highway. Highway I am not stock either and I was getting 320 miles out of 10 gallons. Before CAI.

Intown 240-260 if I am lucky. If Lively is getting that mileage in town that is a hell of an improvement.

WADAD

oh on the highway I would get 170-196 miles to half tank.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

My mileage is a combination of highway and city. I would always get right around 270-280 when the gas light would come on. I'm usually at 80 at the 3/4, 160 at the 1/2, 240 at 1/4, and 280 when the gas light comes on. So, we'll see what happens.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Installed mine today.

No real thoughts yet as I haven't opened it up. It's idling much better than Livelyjay explained. At first start up it revved high then just eased on down to normal idle. DUring the first 20 minutes of idle it did do a few loops but hasn't really done much since.

With my CAI I already had good low end tq so I am looking to finally go past 3500K to see what the car feels like. My only true test of improvement will be my friends jetta 1.8T. At the top pf 3rd she and yes she leaves me behind. Until then it has been an even race. She has the triptronic shifter.

Easy install with the help from you Livelyjay about the vacuum line access to the engine bay.

I am trying to wait the 3 days suggested in this thread however in the PB sale thread someone opened it up from the start and their ECU has had no trouble adjusting to the new tune. I'll wait until Thursday...at least I'll try to before I open it up. Oh I'm running 93 octane right now.

More to come....
WADAD

Quick Reply: RRM Piggyback ECU Review (merged)