Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Gear Lockout

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gear Lockout

So I have a 08 GTS and it has 96xxx km or 57xxx mi on it and I am experiencing lockout whenever I try to shift into either 1st or R. On a clutch that new it shouldn't be happening, I bought it used so I have no idea how the previous owner drove it...

Whenever I shift into 1st, lets say a rolling stop preparing for a u-turn, it grinds and it does not go in without me having to force it in and the cars only going 20kmh or 12mph. I have the clutch fully depressed too.

Same deal with Reverse... I roll down my driveway and that's like walking speed. But when I depress the clutch and shift into R it grinds and tries to throw me out...

What could possibly be the problem? I have been having problems with my clutch, could that be it? And I can tell you that it's not my driving since my neighbor has a Z4M that I drive a lot without problems..
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure on your generation but I believe on mine that first and reverse dont have synchros on them so shifting into them while moving is a tricky task. At auto-x I would avoid using first if at all possible because it was such a nusense. Try double clutching and rev matching when going to first. Its gearing is so short that it will be tricky until you get used to it.

A friend of mine has a fiat 500 abarth that has a grindy sound for a split second when shifting into reverse. It annoys him too but apparently its common on those cars.